PDA

View Full Version : Installing Safety Kill Swicch,

FULL-THROTTLE
07-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Howdy,

I just bought a tethered safety kill switch that completes the circuit with the lanyard installed, so when I pull the lanyard it will open the circuit. I was planning on installing this inline on the ingition wire from the ignition/key switch, but the ignition wires are at least twice the size of the kill switch wires, I didn't think there was alot of current in the ignition wire? the kill switch cannot handle much current, the wires are thin.

Any suggestions on installation?

Thanks,

Fran

Wylietunes
07-26-2013, 02:06 PM
If in doubt of the kill switch's current capacity, use a relay and run the relay's coil side B+ through the switch. Lanyard open, relay opens ignition opens, engine dies.

jzelt
07-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Not sure why you want to install this. I had one in the old boat that was a pain. If you ever have running issues or stalling in the middle of a run, rule this out first. I figured if I needed something like this, I had bigger problems. (Course that is inland rivers and lakes).
Good luck with the install.
1) Are you sure it isn't just the thickness of the insulator?
2) Consider putting ends on the ignition wire that can be undone/reconnected without having to wire? (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=butt+end+electric&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=DA6F019811BA434F52A6290A2D317E1297821E52&selectedIndex=35)

SquamInboards
07-27-2013, 10:48 AM
What about interrupting just the ignition breaker? I believe those are just 16AWG. That way it's only that circuit, and it would do what you want (kill the engine).

FULL-THROTTLE
07-30-2013, 08:27 AM
I am installing the safety switch because me 16 yr old is now taking the boat out with his friends, he is cautious and more that trusted with the responsibility of driving the boat, but it is a piece of insurance for that holy sh!t scenario. I had a good friend fishing off the coast of cape cod MA hit a small wave and over he went, he barely survived in the 55 degree water, but the boat idled away and was never found.