PDA

View Full Version : Prop slipping, engine cutting out

tablerock
07-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Bought a 2006 24SSV Launch Gravity Games late last summer. Ran great until recently. After an hour or two of pulling/boating, if you go past half throttle it starts cutting out and will not hold RMPs. It always starts out great and then acts up. Not sure if it's fuel, transmission, or V Drive related. Any thoughts? I'm new to inboards & wake boarding boats. Love the boat!

8.1 Indmar - 450 hour
ZF 63 C Hurth trans
Walters V-Drive

trayson
07-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Bought a 2006 24SSV Launch Gravity Games late last summer. Ran great until recently. After an hour or two of pulling/boating, if you go past half throttle it starts cutting out and will not hold RMPs. It always starts out great and then acts up. Not sure if it's fuel, transmission, or V Drive related. Any thoughts? I'm new to inboards & wake boarding boats. Love the boat!

8.1 Indmar - 450 hour
ZF 63 C Hurth trans
Walters V-Drive
Basic question, but have you checked the fluid level in the tranny? Our tranny's only hold like 2 quarts of fluid and if you're low, that's BAD. And if it slips, that's REALLY bad because a rebuild can be needed easily and quickly just from a little bit of slipping. Ask me how I know. :-(

jzelt
07-29-2013, 12:34 PM
I would be inclined to change fuel filter.

tablerock
07-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks. I have kept up the fluids in the motor and transmission. However, I didn't realize the v-drive also needs oil. I checked it and it wasn't registering on the dip stick. I put 3/4 of a quart of SAE 30 to get it to show up. I think it only holds a quart. So it was quite low. Still had same result although it seem to run longer before slipping.

I'm going to replace the fuel fiter on my next trip to the lake.

SquamInboards
07-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Can you be more specific about the problem? It sounded from your first post like your engine was cutting out at higher RPMs. Your transmission, prop, etc would have nothing to do with that, it sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

tablerock
07-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Once past half throttle, it will not hold RPM. It feels like it is cutting out as the RPMs jump up and down and boat slows. The odd thing is that it doesn't start out that way. Everything is great for the first hour or two of baoting and then it acts up. Once it starts cutting out or slipping I have to run half throttle or less. So far, once it starts acting up, it doesn't go back to normal.

2006 24SSV launch
8.1L Indmar

DAFF
07-30-2013, 10:25 AM
You have water in the fuel. When at rest the water and fuel separate and the water sits at the bottom and fuel on the top side. Engine pulls pure fuel and is happy. As you drive the fuel mixes with the water like a oil salad dressing and the engine slurps water and fuel loosing power and falling on its face. I would drain the fuel tank, add some gas line antifreeze, fresh fuel filter and top up using high octane fuel.

tablerock
07-30-2013, 11:03 AM
That was one of my first thoughts so I put a fuel teatment in the last tank of gas. I probably should consider draining everything and starting fresh. And maybe repalcing the fuel filter along the way.

Thanks!

2006 24SSV Launch
8.1L Launch

On anther note - how fast is your boat and what is the max RPMs.

trayson
07-30-2013, 12:58 PM
That was one of my first thoughts so I put a fuel teatment in the last tank of gas. I probably should consider draining everything and starting fresh. And maybe repalcing the fuel filter along the way.

Thanks!

2006 24SSV Launch
8.1L Launch

On anther note - how fast is your boat and what is the max RPMs.

If that is the case, start with the fuel/water separator and see if there's water in there.

Also, what you can do is have a 2 gallon gas tank on hand and the ability to disconnect the hose going into your fuel pump and re-route it to pull from the gas can. that way you can eliminate everything upstream of the fuel pump from the equation.

It could honestly be a lot of things. I know that I have coilpacks on my engine and your symptoms sound like coilpacks taking a dump too. Unfortunately lots of things it could be. :-(

SquamInboards
07-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Trayson is right on with trying an external fuel tank, that's what I was going to suggest next. That's the quickest, easiest way to eliminate a lot of fuel-related problems, by giving the engine a direct supply of known good fuel. Of course, you need a nice clean tank to use for this, but it's a good method.

Jetlink
07-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Trayson is right on with trying an external fuel tank, that's what I was going to suggest next. That's the quickest, easiest way to eliminate a lot of fuel-related problems, by giving the engine a direct supply of known good fuel. Of course, you need a nice clean tank to use for this, but it's a good method.

Only problem I see with this is the OP states that it runs fine for like an hour or two I believe and then starts acting up. A 2 gallon gas can is not going to give you the run time required to get you to the point in time where the problem rears its ugly head.

trayson
07-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Only problem I see with this is the OP states that it runs fine for like an hour or two I believe and then starts acting up. A 2 gallon gas can is not going to give you the run time required to get you to the point in time where the problem rears its ugly head.

yeah, I had thought of that too. However, if this is a problem that will materialize after a couple hours and then REMAIN, then he would still have the opportunity to make a quick stop, pull the hose on the water and switch over. Hell, if he really wanted to, he could get a "T", a ball valve and a couple of barbed ends and make himself a little bypass hose that he could then make a bypass with... I mean, you wouldn't spend more than $10 to $20 in hose and plumbing parts to make a gizmo to do that with. And even at $20, that's some cheap diagnostics there!

villain
07-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Where is your tank vent?? I have seen many vents end up under water when you are surfing. This will suck water into the tank. Move your fuel vent to the front of the boat and you will fix that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ESG
08-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Hi there, I was wondering if you ever resolved your problem? We just bought a 2006 supra launch 20 ssv and it worked great the first few times we used it. Last weekend it was fine in the morning, but in the afternoon after about an hour of wake boarding we started experiencing the same problem. When I applied full throttle to get on plane, it began cutting out. The RPM was all over the place. Eventually when I did reach cruising speed it was fine. We are going to try replacing the fuel filter this weekend. I hope that's all it is!

vvfdfirefighter
08-10-2013, 07:42 AM
The fact that it only acts up after a few hours of running leads me to believe fuel pumps. Yes I said pumps, if I recall correctly these fuel injection motors have two pumps, a low pressure and then a high pressure. After running they start getting warm and stop producing the required psi needed, hence Why she falls flat on her face during the power curve. I would opt out on water in the tank, as that would have symptoms almost immediately after being in the water. Coil packs would also start to malfunction once the engine temperature reached normal. Find out what fuel psi your motor is supposed to be running at. Once it starts acting up, slap a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and read the gauge as your pulling out of a holeshot. I'm almost sure you'll find your problem.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II through Tapatalk