PDA

View Full Version : Running out of ideas

Dale M
07-27-2013, 11:43 PM
My family is getting more disappointed by the day as our 2006 20 SSV wont cooperate with us. Here's the issue. Engine sometimes starts, sometimes not, cold start or warm, doesn't matter. When it reaches normal operating temperature I bring it up to 2700 rpms, then the misfiring starts. I've changes plugs, plug wire leads, distributor cap, starter coil and fuel filter. Checked resistance in fuel injectors, all good, then cleaned each. The "funny" thing is I took the boat out before any of this happened, hard starting but ran fine. Changed plugs and leads, took it out next day, again hard to start, then misfiring under load started. So I back tracked. I replaced the new plugs with the old one, still the problems. Then replaced the new leads with the old leads, same problems, Then replaced the new distributor with the old one and again, same problems....hard to start and misfiring at 2700 rpms. Can't get the boat into a mechanic for at least two weeks. When cranking a few times without starting it does flood the engine, can smell the gas vapors.

I'll take any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Dale

DAFF
07-28-2013, 01:09 AM
I have a feeling you might have water in the fuel system. Try to get some out of the tank with a syphon hose and inspect in a glass jar. I have a feeling the run ability issues are fuel related.

Dale M
07-28-2013, 02:10 AM
I have a feeling you might have water in the fuel system. Try to get some out of the tank with a syphon hose and inspect in a glass jar. I have a feeling the run ability issues are fuel related.

I thought about that but dismissed the idea. When I purchased the boat it had 3/4 tank of gas, I ran it to near empty last weekend then filled it including adding fuel injector cleaner. I assumed the new gas would be "richer" than the old. If there is water in the tank wouldn't I have a misfire at idle too? I'm not going to write that idea off. I will siphon out enough to take a look. Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

Cusefan78
07-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Have you check to make sure the wires on the distributor go to the proper cylinder. Sounds to me the timing is off. It the the spark plugs are wired wrong even if it just two, would do that.

Blackntan90
07-28-2013, 08:02 AM
I had water in my tank once- it would only give me problems when taking off, and if you do siphon some let it sit for awhile as the water may not be apparent at first. After an hour or so go back and look at the jar and if there is water it should show up on the bottom of the jar. I second rechecking plug wire order.

Dale M
07-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Wires are in the proper order. When it does start, It idles nicely and runs perfect under 2700 rpms

Dale

DAFF
07-28-2013, 12:19 PM
What's the fuel pressure like ???

kevkev
07-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Is your throttle body butterfly clean? They can get corrosion on them if used in salty environments.

Dale M
07-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Not sure how to test that?

Dale M
07-28-2013, 06:41 PM
No corrosion. Looks clean enough. Any idea what the resistance in the spark plug leads should be? Some of my old leads were reading between 9-11 Ohms. My new leads are significantly lower at 0.6 Ohms. Wondering if I got a bad set of leads.

villain
07-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Prolly didn't get a whole bad set. There could be one bad plug wire. When they usually go out they won't conduct electricity at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Dale M
07-28-2013, 09:04 PM
I tested all my new leads and they range from 0.6 to 0.9 Ohms. My old ones range from 9.0 to 14 and a couple don't give me a reading. I need to find out what they should read. Were the plugs in the boat wrong ones or was I sold the wrong ones? I need to get a service manual for the specs. asap...summer is passing by quickly

z2smith
07-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Did you replace the rotor when you replaced the distributor cap? Also I would check the spark plugs you put in and confirm that they are the correct ones for your motor and that the gap is correct on all of them. There are quite a few possibilities, but if the plug is not the right one or has too small/large of gap it could prevent the spark from being strong enough to fire the fuel in the cylinder causing the misfire. Same thing with the cap and rotor, if they are not generating a strong enough spark it's going to cause problems once the fuel starts dumping in more fuel then the trickle of fuel at idle. It could also be a timing issue, but it sounds like that has been covered. Fuel issue is always a possibility. Bad gas can cause some weird stuff to happen.

Moor
07-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Id suspect water in the fuel also. A while back i ressurected an old Volvo Penta I/O, and spent over a month chasing my A$$. I replaced EVERYTHING in the ignition system (points, condensor, plugs, cap, rotor, wires), re-timed the engine, and rebuilt both carbs, only to have it sputter, skip and die before it would make it into gear (same thing it was doing all along). i got so mad i actually brought it to a marina (i fix everything myself), only to tell me i had water in the gas and i should add a water seperator. $250 for that advise. I drained the tank, added the water seperator and the engine hasn't given me any issues since. 8 years later and that damn boat still wont die. im not a fan of the I/O's but Volvo/Penta made one hell of a drivetrain, there bullet proof.

DAFF
07-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Water in the fuel will gradually get worse when underway, the movement of the boat and waves will slosh the fuel water mixture around causing more water to get sucked up by the carb or throttle body. My gut is still thinking this issue is fuel related.

Kma4444
07-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Recently read on here where someone had cracks or splits in the fuel hose at the pump. Could very well be the same thing you are having. I have had this in cars with the pump in the tank and it is not obvious to diagnose. Fuel pressure will read low if it is the case.

tg0824SSVGG
07-30-2013, 07:22 PM
I recently had a similar problem that I thought was water, turned out to be a plugged fuel filter that only seemed to happen when the tank was less than 1/2 full - I am sure there is junk in the tank.

You said you have already changed the fuel filter. Have you tried contacting Indmar to see if they have suggestions based on the symptoms?

I know they will likely suggest you see an authorized Indmar repair shop but the site also says if you have technical questions to ask them.

http://www.indmar.com/service-support/owner-support.aspx

Give it a shot, seems like you've tried most of the other obvious stuff.

michael hunter
07-31-2013, 07:21 AM
Like Daff said What is the fuel pressure reading?