PDA

View Full Version : Weighting and Surfing a Launch 24V --- Need some advice

TEAMBOAT24V
07-29-2013, 06:01 PM
I have a 2010 Launch 24V. I bought it with 2 flyhigh sacs in the rear, 1150 each corner (they don't fit good BTW). The front bow has the original 1100 bag. I need some advice on how to get a surfable wave. I weigh 155 and can't get a good push going unless I'm on top of the platform. With a boat full of people I can, but I need a wave when there's 3-4 people in the boat not 12. I usually just fill up the left rear all the way and run about 10.8mph with the plate all the way up. After searching all these threads I've come to realize that what works for one person does not work for another and each boat has it's own formula. It's seems like I have enough ballast weight to get the job done and I'm just not using it properly. Should I fill the front all the way as well? run the plate down or at 50%? go faster, go slower? what the heck, I just want to surf!

Stoppiesteve
07-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Ride plate at 50 and front at about 400lbs worth of ballast and you should be able to surf. I have a 242 and the 1100lbs in the left rear and can surf. I do need about 300lbs of people in the boat too because I tried this weekend with just a driver and it didn't have much push unless I was pretty close to the boat. I worked with it and did 300lbs up front and 20 on the plate and was able to surf with no passengers but it was not a long pocket . I weigh 180lbs. I wonder if the longer hull just needs another 500lbs on the surf side. Hopefully someone will answer better.

NorCalPR
07-29-2013, 11:28 PM
You need more weight.

If it were my boat, I'd add more weight in the back, and fill the front bow bag.

Adding rear weight, makes the wave steeper and gives it more push. Adding weight in the front makes the wave longer, and not as tall.

You need to find the balance between a steep enough wave to ride, and a long enough wave that you;re not riding on the back of the boat.

CornRickey
07-30-2013, 01:20 AM
buy fittings to make your non surf side rear bag usable on the surf side corner floor and fill the front. get up to 11mph with the plate up and drop speed till the wake breaks up, speed up again to generate a good wake them drop it again the the speed just faster that the prior. once you get a clean wave, use the plate to lengthen it.

Kma4444
07-30-2013, 07:58 AM
The thread I started https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?11462-Another-surf-thread-242-Launch has all the info I know about surfing the big Supra. We run the surf side with around 1400 lbs and the non surf side with the stock 400 pound full. We are almost always just a driver and surfer. This last Sunday we had a couple on the boat and it made a very noticeable difference if they switched from the non surf side to the surf side. We were caught out a little as we haven't had much in the way of company and these weren't big folk. But with them on the non surf side, it caused a lot of wash to come over the top of the wake. When they moved over it was right back to where it always is. I presume we could have fixed it by draining the non surf side bag about half way also.

It just hasn't been any trouble to get a really good wake out of our boat. I'm about 180lbs and can surf back maybe 15 feet from the back of the boat so length is pretty good. You should be able to get the same kind of results I would think.

KG's Supra24
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Something sounds a miss if you are running 1100 up front and 1100 in surfside corner. That should produce a surfable wave. You might try to bring the speed up some and make sure the boat isn't turning away from the wave. You should be able to drive pretty straight, though.

We don't surf alot but we have no issue when filling up the stock bow sack (1180) and a rear 1100. We will play with the non surf side weight if it is washy, like KMA mentioned above. If we want to make it big then we throw an extra 400 or 750 sac on locker or down in the surf side seat.

Are your sacks in the rear filling all the way? Mine fit great, wondering if you have an odd size. Is the boat turning some with the wave? Do you feel any push while holding the rope? You should be able to surf with slack before letting go of the rope. Oh, and what side are you trying to surf?

Couple pics for proof ....

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0194-2.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/P1050963.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0164.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/arkansas.jpg

TEAMBOAT24V
07-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Something sounds a miss if you are running 1100 up front and 1100 in surfside corner. That should produce a surfable wave. You might try to bring the speed up some and make sure the boat isn't turning away from the wave. You should be able to drive pretty straight, though.

We don't surf alot but we have no issue when filling up the stock bow sack (1180) and a rear 1100. We will play with the non surf side weight if it is washy, like KMA mentioned above. If we want to make it big then we throw an extra 400 or 750 sac on locker or down in the surf side seat.

Are your sacks in the rear filling all the way? Mine fit great, wondering if you have an odd size. Is the boat turning some with the wave? Do you feel any push while holding the rope? You should be able to surf with slack before letting go of the rope. Oh, and what side are you trying to surf?

We surf on the left side. The rear sac fills about 90% I would say. It's a bit too elongated for the compartment, so it bunches up some. I can surf without the rope it's just a really small pocket right on the back of the boat. I've always done it with the plate up. I don't think I've tried with the bow bag all the way full, so I'm going to play with that some and the plate. In those pics it looks like you can surf pretty far back and that's what I want to accomplish. If all else fails I'll get some fittings to fill the non surf side in put in the surf side seat. It's just gonna sit on my cooler and take up a lot of space.. Ya'll have given me a lot to work with. thanks

KG's Supra24
07-30-2013, 11:50 AM
The bow was definitely full in all of those pics. The extra weight up front should lengthen the pocket.

NorCalPR
07-30-2013, 09:18 PM
We surf on the left side. The rear sac fills about 90% I would say. It's a bit too elongated for the compartment, so it bunches up some. I can surf without the rope it's just a really small pocket right on the back of the boat. I've always done it with the plate up. I don't think I've tried with the bow bag all the way full, so I'm going to play with that some and the plate. In those pics it looks like you can surf pretty far back and that's what I want to accomplish. If all else fails I'll get some fittings to fill the non surf side in put in the surf side seat. It's just gonna sit on my cooler and take up a lot of space.. Ya'll have given me a lot to work with. thanks

Don't put weight on the non surf side. I'll say it again, you don't need more weight in the back, you need weight in the front to lenghten the pocket. Adding more weight in the back will just make your pocket shorter.