PDA

View Full Version : Stringer bolt starting to strip on COMPOSITE 92 Sunsport

trayson
07-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Hey, I did a quick search and wasn't sure the best solution. I have just one bolt on my port transmission mount (the one that goes horizontal) that feelsl like it's now getting stripped out. The other 7 bolts that we dealt with on the removal/reinstallation of the transmission were able to get very tight and solid. This one ain't right. It's not so loose where there's any danger of it coming out of the hole, but its certainly doesn't have the tightness or holding power that the other ones do...

My boat is the composite and normally I hear about this issue on the wood stringer boats. So I probably just over-tightened it and started to strip it out. I am confident that the bolt is fine though...

So, what's the best solution? Get a slightly larger diameter lag bolt? Add something to the hole? Don't mess with it and carry on with my life???

92SupraComp
07-31-2013, 02:41 PM
I would fill the hole in with epoxy or JB Weld and redrill and then run the lag bolt back in. Should be just fine. Have done this for numerous things.

jeff_in_ny
07-31-2013, 03:02 PM
I would fill the hole in with epoxy or JB Weld and redrill and then run the lag bolt back in. Should be just fine. Have done this for numerous things.
Agree with the epoxy and redrill. This tube of epoxy (http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=52008&familyName=WEST+System+Six10+Thickened+Epoxy+Adhes ive#) at Jamestown looks like it would limit the mess.

Let it cure first and then drill it.

trayson
07-31-2013, 06:27 PM

Makes sense. Something that I could do without taking the stringer mount off would make my life a ton easier... hmmm

CornRickey
08-02-2013, 02:01 AM
how about drilling it out fill it with epoxy and set the bolt in it with the threads wrapped in cling wrap so you can remove it later.

lively
08-05-2013, 12:19 AM
how about drilling it out fill it with epoxy and set the bolt in it with the threads wrapped in cling wrap so you can remove it later. this is how you would definitely do this type of repair . it wont come out !!