PDA

View Full Version : overheating

tod bushman
08-05-2013, 07:28 AM
My engine ran hot (220) after turning the boat off and sitting for 45 min, once I started the boat the temperature went back down to 160-170, does anyone know why jthis would happen, what I need to replace or fix?

tg0824SSVGG
08-05-2013, 08:07 AM
What do you mean by it "ran hot"? Was it turned off and just sitting there?

If it was off and just sitting, I am guessing you're experiencing "heat soak" - if the engine covers are closed, the engine just warms up
in the hot, closed air in the engine compartment - and will continue to get hotter for a while without the lake water circulating --

You say once you started it, you were at 165 or so - it seems the thermostat is working properly. If you've been running hard and plan to stop and sit
for a while - open the engine compartment to let the heat out while you sit -- see if that helps.

Does that make sense?

tod bushman
08-05-2013, 01:45 PM
What do you mean by it "ran hot"? Was it turned off and just sitting there?

If it was off and just sitting, I am guessing you're experiencing "heat soak" - if the engine covers are closed, the engine just warms up
in the hot, closed air in the engine compartment - and will continue to get hotter for a while without the lake water circulating --

You say once you started it, you were at 165 or so - it seems the thermostat is working properly. If you've been running hard and plan to stop and sit
for a while - open the engine compartment to let the heat out while you sit -- see if that helps.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the reply, I ran for about 35 min and turned the boat off for 35-40 minutes and when I restarted it, the temperature light and alarm were on, the temperature read 220 on the gauge however as I ran the boat it went back down to normal. But again at the dock when the motor was turned off the gauge went to 220 again. It is an 87 Supra, is there a blower or anything that cools the motor after you turn the engine off. It just started yesterday?