PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing?

jsantos615
08-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Any suggestions for speed/ballast/wakeplate for someone new to wakesurfing?

I tried it behind my Sunsport 24 V last night and made it up with no problem. My issue is that I can't find the sweet spot in the wake.

I'm riding a Liquid Force 5'6" board, regular foot. We filled the port side ballast and trimmed the wakeplate about halfway. The wake was little foamy and steep and the line did go slack, but when I threw it into the boat, I stayed-up for a few seconds and lost my forward motion.

Is there are secret to this? I need to know, so I can be more studly to my girlfriend.

Also, anyone have a good rack solution for a wakesurfer?

Cheers -

joe

myturndad
08-15-2006, 11:43 AM
I usually fill up the front bag around 70% and that extends the line out further.

jsantos615
08-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks!

I'll give that a try.

-j

silvtongdvl
08-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Put the wakeplate all the up

myturndad
08-15-2006, 01:32 PM
On my ssv 22, the wake get's to short and steep with the wakeplate all the way up. I usually am probably about 3/4.

cbondurant
06-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I run with front ballast full. One Side Ballast full, and the plate all the way up. 11mph in a 06 22SSV. The wake gets better if I have some friends piled in on one side as well.

IndyMatt
06-13-2007, 09:50 AM
We are still working with it as well... like you said, getting up is not the problem, but finding the spot where you can let go & ride is a little more tricky. Now my boat (DD Sunsport) does not get deep enough to do it. Dad's Mastercraft 230, however, can throw a monster wake. As above, right about 11mph... gear and friends in the back left... also if while driving you make a very gradual slope to the left instead of driving a straight line will help drop out, give you more vertical movement at the wake & more resistance against the bottom of the board. This is the 'advice' that we have been getting... but still working on it~ Good luck to all!!

65sanford
07-31-2007, 01:56 PM
On my 2003 22 SSV, we run between 3/4 to full up on the plate, front bag 100%, (1) rear bag 100%, perfect pass @ 9.5mph and usually have about 10 of wake to play with. The water depth has alot to do with the size, shape and overall feel of the wake. When we prorgess from 10' to 15'+ of water depth, the wake grows about 1' in height and the play area is much larger. The factory ballast is all we use and it is not the gravity games tanks--just the standard. Have fun

Supra_Launch21V
10-21-2007, 08:30 PM
In my opinion here is how to do it:
Choose whethere you want to ski "VAIL, CO" or "Devils Head, WI"

I chose the VAIL setup.

1st Purchase the 800lb Fly High Fat Sac x 2 for the REAR V-drive compartments

2nd Purchase 2 Launch Pad Blocks (85lbs) each

3rd Wake plate adjust between 75-100 percent UP

Set PerfectPass to 9.5-10.5 mph

Place all of your stowable items and your passengers on the side you intend to ride.

Fill up the front bag 75% full (I usually forget and fill it 100%)
Fill up on rear bag 100% full

Adjust speed according to the variables out there. For me - wind and current are the two biggies. Upstream slower than downstream.

Invite lots of friends (especially tubby ones) that don't like to ski or get wet. More ride time for you. HA HA

As I mentioned before - Vail CO is where I want to "Ski". Buy a couple fat sacs for $200 each (on wakeside.com) or somewhere like that. It makes for a simple conversion. I had to reroute a couple of the fill hoses. No big deal. It makes for a heck of a surf.

I surf with a Hyperlite Broadcast. It works great. I will probably by a CWB ride to get a board that is easier for my "big" friends to free ride with. I can free ride for 45 minutes to an hour with this setup. I love it...kids get board.

The Broadcast is fine for me at 180lbs. Kinda difficult for my buddy who is 240lbs.

Supra_Launch21V
10-21-2007, 08:34 PM
I am sorry for the poor grammer. I re-read my post and it looked like I didn't pass 4th grade.