PDA

View Full Version : Clockwise vs CCW, LH vs RH, Standard vs Reverse? Help me get this down once & for all

trayson
08-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Okay, so I am trying to get this down, because different parts sellers will reference things differently.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L49EiCWMd8s/UVzUKrmy_TI/AAAAAAAANxw/1Wl7QBLnrHI/s800/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

So please help me with this.

There is ENGINE rotation (useful for buying parts that bolt on the engine like starters, alternators, etc) and there is PROP rotation, right?

So for mine, would it be:

Engine
Left hand rotation
Standard rotation
Counter Clockwise rotation

So does that mean that my propshaft would be the opposite??? Help me fill in the blanks and confirm so I don't someday order the wrong stuff.

Prop
Right hand rotation???
Reverse Rotation??? <--do they even use this term when talking about props???
Clockwise rotation???

Thanks. I get confused about this too easily and I know it should be pretty simple.

haugy
08-09-2013, 04:03 PM
What you have to do is rather simple.

First make sure it's the Autumnal equinox, which should be close so you're good. Don't do the spring equinox as it will be upside down. Now, take you first born, and stand them on their head. Put them facing North while they face the prop. Then find a virgin chicken, and then sprinkle it with Paprika from the Mountains of Tibet. Once you have done that, then sing the last line of Shama-lama ding dong, and then a small muchkin will appear. At that time the munchkin will then tell you which direction it turns.

Good luck.

trayson
08-09-2013, 04:27 PM
What you have to do is rather simple.

First make sure it's the Autumnal equinox, which should be close so you're good. Don't do the spring equinox as it will be upside down. Now, take you first born, and stand them on their head. Put them facing North while they face the prop. Then find a virgin chicken, and then sprinkle it with Paprika from the Mountains of Tibet. Once you have done that, then sing the last line of Shama-lama ding dong, and then a small muchkin will appear. At that time the munchkin will then tell you which direction it turns.

Good luck.

I didn't realize it was that easy. Are you saying that I won't need the 47 virgins now?

inair
08-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Oh good you already have the 47 virgins! The munchkin will only tell you the answer if you give him the virgins :)

vvfdfirefighter
08-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Okay, so I am trying to get this down, because different parts sellers will reference things differently.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L49EiCWMd8s/UVzUKrmy_TI/AAAAAAAANxw/1Wl7QBLnrHI/s800/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

So please help me with this.

There is ENGINE rotation (useful for buying parts that bolt on the engine like starters, alternators, etc) and there is PROP rotation, right?

So for mine, would it be:

Engine
Left hand rotation
Standard rotation
Counter Clockwise rotation

So does that mean that my propshaft would be the opposite??? Help me fill in the blanks and confirm so I don't someday order the wrong stuff.

Prop
Right hand rotation???
Reverse Rotation??? <--do they even use this term when talking about props???
Clockwise rotation???

Thanks. I get confused about this too easily and I know it should be pretty simple.

Left hand rotation is standard rotation, also the same rotation as an automobile engine. Standard rotation, when looking at the front will rotate to the right (clockwise), when looking at it from the prop it will turn left (counterclockwise ).

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?15066-PCM-454-starter-Saltare&p=99146#post99146

Take a look at the 5th post down. I posted about this in another post about starters. There's a picture I refer to a lot.

Blackntan90
08-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Thank you for that reference! I saved it, I know it will come in handy!

vvfdfirefighter
08-09-2013, 09:46 PM
not a problem. Hope that answered some of your question!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

trayson
08-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Left hand rotation is standard rotation, also the same rotation as an automobile engine. Standard rotation, when looking at the front will rotate to the right (clockwise), when looking at it from the prop it will turn left (counterclockwise ).

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?15066-PCM-454-starter-Saltare&p=99146#post99146

Take a look at the 5th post down. I posted about this in another post about starters. There's a picture I refer to a lot.

Thanks, that does help. So, I guess that means my starter is CW. Circled in blue.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MFsW5ebvg2U/UgXTkK1l9eI/AAAAAAAAOvE/he_0kBSX_b8/s800/starter%2520rotation.jpg

vvfdfirefighter
08-10-2013, 03:28 AM
If your starter motor is tucked up beside you engine then, Yes.

Sent frim my Samsung Galaxy Note II through Tapatalk

crystal waters
08-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Oh good you already have the 47 virgins! The munchkin will only tell you the answer if you give him the virgins

I can be a munchkin!!!!!!!!!!;):cool:

jeff_in_ny
08-15-2013, 02:45 PM
I know this is a few days old, but a few other things you can tell:
The first 3 letters of the ID tag are PL (PCM Left rotation) or PR (PCM Right rotation). The tag pictured above is PL.

Also the firing order of the Standard Rotation is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 and the firing order for Reverse Rotation is 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3.

And, you can look at the prop. If you have a 1:1 transmission then the prop turns the same direction as the engine, when going forward.

vvfdfirefighter
08-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Somewhere on my computers I have the PCM Ford and Chevy engine PDF that explains everything if anyone wants or needs it

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II through Tapatalk

kvand347
08-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Your motor is LH and your prop is RH. You have the 1.23:1 gear reduction tranny. Same as me.

trayson
08-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Your motor is LH and your prop is RH. You have the 1.23:1 gear reduction tranny. Same as me.

Actually, my tranny is 1:1

vvfdfirefighter
08-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Actually, my tranny is 1:1

According to your tag. You have the 1.23:1 reduction trans

trayson
08-19-2013, 11:54 AM
According to your tag. You have the 1.23:1 reduction trans

I guess my engine tag disagrees with my tranny tag. :-/

I'm trusting the designation on the actual transmission for the ratio...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EyCzHyX2G_g/Uc5k7oH2NGI/AAAAAAAAOOo/_SaczbpSHoQ/s800/20130628_201537.jpg

kvand347
08-23-2013, 09:21 AM
I guess my engine tag disagrees with my tranny tag. :-/

I'm trusting the designation on the actual transmission for the ratio...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EyCzHyX2G_g/Uc5k7oH2NGI/AAAAAAAAOOo/_SaczbpSHoQ/s800/20130628_201537.jpg

Someone switched your trans on you! That boat originally came with the gear reduction trans. Hmmm. I do believe that makes your prop LH then.

jeff_in_ny
08-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Someone switched your trans on you! That boat originally came with the gear reduction trans. Hmmm. I do believe that makes your prop LH then.
Yup! Trayson, show us a pic of your prop. BTW, I really like what you did with your boat. Great job.

trayson
08-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Yup! Trayson, show us a pic of your prop. BTW, I really like what you did with your boat. Great job.

I will definitley get you that picture. Now you're making me really curious. I can't imagine that I have the wrong rotation prop, I'm sure I'd notice that!

What is making me really curious is that I've noticed that my prop shaft is offset from the rudder. I'm sure it's done taking into account the placement for steering and prop-wash. So if I changed prop direction, wouldn't that make it so that my steering would be quite a bit affected?? I guess I should wait to ask these questions until I have the pics and we know things for certain!

Jetlink
08-23-2013, 12:27 PM
I will definitley get you that picture. Now you're making me really curious. I can't imagine that I have the wrong rotation prop, I'm sure I'd notice that!

What is making me really curious is that I've noticed that my prop shaft is offset from the rudder. I'm sure it's done taking into account the placement for steering and prop-wash. So if I changed prop direction, wouldn't that make it so that my steering would be quite a bit affected?? I guess I should wait to ask these questions until I have the pics and we know things for certain!

The prop shaft is offset from the rudder so you don't have to remove the rudder in the event that you need to remove the prop shaft.

trayson
08-23-2013, 12:46 PM
The prop shaft is offset from the rudder so you don't have to remove the rudder in the event that you need to remove the prop shaft.

Okay, good to know. I'm still pretty new at this whole thing afterall.

trayson
08-26-2013, 03:23 PM

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lbpRX262SiI/UhpFTsbBpEI/AAAAAAAAO0o/BoVRDR27Qbo/s800/20130825_103240.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2pLGhdOv4t4/UhpFp-knRaI/AAAAAAAAO1Y/m1MeIM3ecWQ/s800/20130825_103250.jpg

Jetlink
08-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Looks like a 1:1 transmission to me based on your prop.

jeff_in_ny
08-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Yes. Your prop rotates CCW in forward, and as stated your transmission is the 1:1 (which does not change the rotation of the prop), and your engine is a Left hand/CCW/standard rotation engine.

If you had a 1:1.23 transmission you would have to use a CW/Right hand prop.