PDA

View Full Version : Want to change distributor to HEI.

gogger
08-11-2013, 07:53 PM
I bought a HEI distributor and have been dragging my feet on changing it. Currently running points. What exactly do I need to do? Best way to find TDC? New distributor has 2 wire plug. What do I need to run to it?

michael hunter
08-11-2013, 09:32 PM
If its a GM HEI distributor the plug on the right marked IGN is a 12 volt feed from the ignition switch . The left side term is for the tachometer. Do not use the ballast resistor in this application.

gogger
08-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks for that info!

vvfdfirefighter
08-12-2013, 06:38 AM
Make sure you use low impedance spark plug wires, aka silicone. No solid core wires. They may and probably will fry your distributor and or gauges!

Pull the number I cylinder plug, slide a dowel rod into the chamber. Rotate the engine shaft via the camshaft on the front of the engine. Using a breaker bar and socked, rotate engine in the direction it naturally turns. Watch the dowel rod. When it starts moving out you are close. As it stops moving out and right before it starts moving back in, you'll be at TDC.

Mark the location of the old distributors, where the tit attaches to your engine, with a fine tip marker. Mark each plug wire and their respected position on the distributor cap. Also known as firing order. Pull old distributor, align new distributor So that the rotor is pointing to number oneplug. insert it into the hole, tighten down, still making sure itit's pointing at the number one position. Attach cap, wires and you should be good. You'll have to fine tune once it's running.

jasun
08-12-2013, 08:57 AM
When i replaced my Distributor with a different model, i didnt pay much attention to the rotor on the old one. I maked all the wires and pull them off the old cap and pulled the distributor. put the new distributor in. It slid right down into place. I then had to bump the ignition a couple times to get it to seat all the way. Has something to do with the bottom of the distributor lining up with something in the engine.

I then found TDC on the compression stroke by removing the #1 plug and either having someone stick their thumb over the hole and cranking the engine till it would push their thumb off (comression stroke) or what I did becasue i was by myself, was take some tissue and sorta wod it up and put it right in front of the spark plug hole and crank the engine and when it blows the tissue out (be careful though, I had too small a piece and it sucked it in. Luckily, i was able to get the tissue out with some tweezers) you are on the compression stroke. Then do the process that VVFD said about a dowel in there, or a screw driver and turn the engine with a breaker bar. Once you find TDC, note where your rotor is and put your cap on and whichever it is under is now the new number 1 plug wire. then attach your wires in the firing order and set your timing.

I found this much easier then trying to get the different distributor to line up exactly how the old one was. If you were just pulling the old to PM it and return it, I could see marking it up and getting it aligned perfectly, but because they are different and you are going to have to set your timing with it, I found it easier (because I tried marking the new one) to just start from scratch.

Good luck!

vvfdfirefighter
08-12-2013, 09:17 AM
When i replaced my Distributor with a different model, i didnt pay much attention to the rotor on the old one. I maked all the wires and pull them off the old cap and pulled the distributor. put the new distributor in. It slid right down into place. I then had to bump the ignition a couple times to get it to seat all the way. Has something to do with the bottom of the distributor lining up with something in the engine.

I then found TDC on the compression stroke by removing the #1 plug and either having someone stick their thumb over the hole and cranking the engine till it would push their thumb off (comression stroke) or what I did becasue i was by myself, was take some tissue and sorta wod it up and put it right in front of the spark plug hole and crank the engine and when it blows the tissue out (be careful though, I had too small a piece and it sucked it in. Luckily, i was able to get the tissue out with some tweezers) you are on the compression stroke. Then do the process that VVFD said about a dowel in there, or a screw driver and turn the engine with a breaker bar. Once you find TDC, note where your rotor is and put your cap on and whichever it is under is now the new number 1 plug wire. then attach your wires in the firing order and set your timing.

I found this much easier then trying to get the different distributor to line up exactly how the old one was. If you were just pulling the old to PM it and return it, I could see marking it up and getting it aligned perfectly, but because they are different and you are going to have to set your timing with it, I found it easier (because I tried marking the new one) to just start from scratch.

Good luck!

The gears on the distributor go into the oil pump. Either method is easy, Just as long as you connect the firing order up correctly. I would suggest finding TDC before removing the old distributor.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II through Tapatalk

wotan2525
08-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Just put in with the rotor pointing in the same direction as the one you took out and you'll be on the mark. Take plug wires off the cap one by one and move to the new cap. Makes the job super simple.

gogger
08-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I plan on trying to get to it this week.

lively
08-14-2013, 03:24 PM
I bought a HEI distributor and have been dragging my feet on changing it. Currently running points. What exactly do I need to do? Best way to find TDC? New distributor has 2 wire plug. What do I need to run to it?

I have one question , where did you buy the HEI ? Is it marine grade ? And what does the coil output voltage say ?

vvfdfirefighter
08-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Cheapest are from summit racing! I Just bought a new electronic ignition. Didn't go with HEI because I Just put a new coil in mine last year. I upgraded from points to electronic. I'd stay away from pertronix and go Mallory. But then again I've never worked with pertronix!

http://m.summitracing.com/search/department/marine/part-type/distributors

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II through Tapatalk

lively
08-15-2013, 01:51 PM
I have the Mallory breakerless and it works great with a 12 v coil , ign ballast delete .