PDA

View Full Version : Supra Launch 22v Weight and Wake Plate Issues

greener22v
08-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Hello,

I have a 2010 Supra Launch 22v Liquid Force Edition. It has the Gravity 3 ballast system and a wake plate. At the beginning of this summer I noticed that my wake plate had broken and needed to be replaced. I had the plate replaced at my dealer however I seem to be having trouble with the plate's performance. Before I take it out of the water and drive it all the way back to the city and have the dealer take a look at it, I wanted to ask a few questions to see if I actually have an issue the dealer needs to fix or if this is something I can fix myself.

My problems are this:

When I drive the boat and have the plate all the way down (100 on my Vision display) I notice that the bow of the boat is pushed down in the water and the spray that comes from the side of the boat begins nearly at the bow. When the plate is in this position it also creates a large rooster tail that spray's the rider in the face and completely washes out the wake. I attached a picture titled "Down".

When I place the plate in the up position (any where from 50 to 0 on my Vision display) I notice that the bow of the boat lifts up, the spray off the side of the boat begins around the drivers seat and the wake cleans up and shapes nicely but is very steep. I attached a picture titled "Up" that show's the wake with the plate all the way up (0 on the Vision Display).

The wake in both pictures is not very good and both pictures were taken with the boat un-weighed so I know that I can clean my wake up a little bit by adjusting the ballast and moving people around in the boat but my questions for you are:

1) Is the rooster tail a common issue when the plate is all the way down? I've tried adding weight to eliminate it but I've had no success. IF this isn't a common issue then I wonder if the dealer installed the plate in-correctly or perhaps it's not properly aligned?

2) How does the smart plate on the 2010 Supra work? I've noticed that when I am at cruising speed it will automatically adjust the plate to 50. Is 50 the setting to have the plate flush with the hull? Essentially having no displacement of water? And if so, perhaps to have no plate at all I should ride with the plate set at 50? I like a ramp shaped wake and tend to take tricks up and out into the flats as opposed to straight up and down.

3) Do you have any suggestions for how to properly weight the 22v? As I said, I have the Gravity 3 ballast set up (Two 400lb bags on either side of the engine and One 650lb bag in the ski locker). I know adding more weight to the front will help as Supra's are designed to be weighted down in the front. Generally I will ride with the front bag full and the two rear bags at 50%.

I appreciate any advice you can give me. I've gone to my dealer multiple times with these questions but haven't had any success in getting any answers....

22supra
08-13-2013, 09:58 AM
It doesnt really look like anything is different from mine, but never really looked at as a problem. How fast are you going in the pics? you said no ballast but these boat's are extremely weight sensitive it look like there is more weight on driver side, mine is this way cause my cooler is on this side. How long of a rope are you boarding at that is spraying a rider in the face? when i set my wave it throws a fairly large rooster tail but not far enough to hit the rider at 60'.

greener22v
08-22-2013, 06:30 PM
The speed is 22.5 MPH and the line length is between 60-65 feet. If I put the plate up to 60-65 (or above) then the wake shapes very nicely and the rooster tail disappears. I'm going to take it to the dealer and have them look at it. My guess is the alignment on the plate is off or something. I think that when the plate is all the way down it pushes the nose of the boat too far down that the plate comes out of the water and is hit by the rushing water which causes the rooster tail.......either way, it's a problem for the dealer. Tx for your reply!!

Kma4444
08-22-2013, 08:15 PM
All of that sounds pretty normal to me. The plate down does push the nose of the boat down, that's how it should be. There isn't any adjustment on them unless you got an incorrect part, I guess that's possible. When you take the boat out is the plate even with the bottom of the boat? That's how ours is. If yours is similar, I'm thinking there is no problem.

92SupraComp
08-23-2013, 11:51 AM
think simply forces. If you are pushing the water down then that means there is a large force pushing the back of the boat up, there for it pushes the bow down. Its very simple. I don't see any problem at all. I think you don't fully understand what the wake plate does, how it works and what happens when you use it. Its just a single trim tab in the center of the boat vs 2 at each side of the boat.

Everything is doing what it should...