PDA

View Full Version : Surfing behind a 21V...what the heck is wrong?

wax
08-14-2013, 01:09 PM
I've surfed behind many boats and I've been surfing for 7 years. I used to own a 2000 Launch (DD) and I had a pretty killer surf wake with it loaded right. I've made old boats throw big good wakes too, like old Nautiques and stuff, that we thought would never make a good wake.

So my new friend that I met while selling my boat (who I think is a member here so I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned anything yet, no idea what is user ID is though) just bought a 2006 21V about the same time I bought my Moomba LSV. I went riding with him last weekend on his boat. Great wakeboard wake as I expected, very similar feel to my old Launch.

However, THE SURF WAKE DOES NOT EXIST! Why is that? We had about 1200 up under the playpen and 750 in the rear left locker. I thought for sure that would be good, but it was terrible. We then added 650 on top of the left seats. A little bigger but still terrible! We emptied the front to maybe 400 or so because I thought maybe we weren't biased toward the back enough. Still bad. We could not get an acceptable surf wake out of the boat! I tried speeds anywhere between 9.5 and 11.5. The only thing I didn't try was the wakeplate because it wasn't working, was stuck at 50%. That's where I had mine on my old Launch anyway, so I figured no big deal.

Any thoughts? I was absolutely shocked.

wotan2525
08-14-2013, 02:05 PM
I'd empty the front and try with some more people/weight in the back. Weight in front = longer wave with more push, weight in back = steeper, more surfable wave with a shorter pocket.

wax
08-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Yup, I understand the dynamics and definitely agree with you.

That's why we emptied the front way down and added the 650 to the left seats. I even had his wife drive so he could sit on the very back corner, feet on the deck. Not really any better.

kevkev
08-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Try to move your rear weight to the right locker. If you don't ride goofy, it won't work but the wave should be nicer.

wax
08-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Yeah I agree with that. Not much of a point since he rides regular, and so do I. Out of everybody I have ever surfed with over the last 7 years, I've probably only had 3 goofy riders on my boat. Ironically one of them was just the other day, we had a new rider with us that was goofy. My boat definitely makes a wake easier on the right side.

Usually a goofy wake is easier to make on a LH rotational prop (since the rotation of the prop helps list the boat), however in my experience I think this wake is too far off from being good for it to make enough of a difference. I agree that it would be better, but I can't imagine it would be "good" based on what I've seen.

Smitty75
08-14-2013, 04:46 PM
I have a 2006 21v and it seems to be decent with 750 in the back corner, a few people on the seat, and about 400 in the front with plate half down. Speed at 11ish.

If his pp system is factory, he may be having the same problem as I am with speed fluctuating a couple mph up and down. I noticed the surf wake gets really washed out when it drops below 11, but firms up when the speed comes bak to 11. It's really inconsistent. According to pp, it requires a drive by wire upgrade as that is what should have been originally installed but manufacturer cheaper out.

wax
08-15-2013, 01:30 AM
I didn't feel the boat fluctuating in speed, and he had stargazer recently installed so it wasn't a factory installation. I fluctuated the speed lol, because I was trying every speed possible to try and get it to clean up!

spydermonkey
08-15-2013, 02:05 AM
Have the same boat had the same problem finally have good consistent wave front 1180 bag full,left rear 750 full, I cut out the cooler and put the 370 tube sac there, the tube sac seemed to be the key at 11mph and wake plate in any position good clean wave with rider and driver every time more passengers better wave

Kpsupra
08-15-2013, 10:53 PM
I've got a launch 21v and got the wake fairly decent on the left side running 750 full back left. 400 full on top of the flap for the 750. Another 400 in the playpen standing up as far left as possible and the center 1100 full. With a couple people sitting on the left side I run around 10.8 to 11.2 and fine tune with the wake plate. I'm going to change the setup next time I'm home for some more weight on the left side.

OneCent
08-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Can you post a picture from the "bad" wake?

wax
08-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Next time I go ride with him I can. We live on different lakes about 40 minutes from eachother. Trust me, it's a bad wake. I've been wakesurfing for 7 years and behind many boats. It's a long pocket but very small and not a strong lip at all.

I love Supras and I'm not knocking the 21V, just trying to figure out a configuration that will work for him. He's new to owning a boat and wakeboarding/surfing, so I'd just hate to see somebody frustrated and not able to enjoy a sport they should be able to behind this type (and expensive) of boat. I've never had trouble setting up any model of ski/wake boat for surfing until this one.

Cutting out the cooler is a good idea, he had actually mentioned possibly doing that. My concern is we slapped that 650 on top of the seats and it didn't help enough anyway.

Can anybody vouch for an 1100 fitting in the locker? 750 looks like it pretty much fills it up like I mentioned before, but I could take my 1100 over there and try I guess. What about one of those enzo sacks that extends under the seats, anybody use one on a 21V?

docdrs
08-21-2013, 09:41 PM
1100 all day long in an 09 21v

Zim
08-22-2013, 07:55 AM
I know with my 20v there's a huge difference between adding weight to the back seat area, and adding weight in the lockers. Try opening the locker and setting the extra 400 bag on top of the 750 bag. I use a dock line on my rear cleat, run it over the locker flap and tie it to my ski pylon so the bag doesn't roll off into the water.. I get a great wave from my 20v

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

OneCent
08-25-2013, 06:59 PM
just to compare - here is my 21V wake with stock gravity 3 ( 2008 ) ballast - the camera is mounted above the platform.

awolfinwater
06-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Next time I go ride with him I can. We live on different lakes about 40 minutes from eachother. Trust me, it's a bad wake. I've been wakesurfing for 7 years and behind many boats. It's a long pocket but very small and not a strong lip at all.

I love Supras and I'm not knocking the 21V, just trying to figure out a configuration that will work for him. He's new to owning a boat and wakeboarding/surfing, so I'd just hate to see somebody frustrated and not able to enjoy a sport they should be able to behind this type (and expensive) of boat. I've never had trouble setting up any model of ski/wake boat for surfing until this one.

Cutting out the cooler is a good idea, he had actually mentioned possibly doing that. My concern is we slapped that 650 on top of the seats and it didn't help enough anyway.

Can anybody vouch for an 1100 fitting in the locker? 750 looks like it pretty much fills it up like I mentioned before, but I could take my 1100 over there and try I guess. What about one of those enzo sacks that extends under the seats, anybody use one on a 21V?

This thread was originally about my 2006 21V and I wanted to give readers and update. Finally got the wake dialed on the port side with the following setup:

Port rear: 750 LBS
half on sundeck / half on port side seats: 650 lb (used to be the stock bow weight)
Port side seats (in front of 650 lb bag): 400 lb (used to be the stock rear compartment back)
Center: 1180 lb
Speed: ~10.5
Wakeplate: all the way up

I'll try to take some pictures and update this thread. Strong push and long wave. No problem going wireless and actually working the wave. Haven't done any spins since I'm just not that good.:D

I have yet to ride on a better wakeboard wake but would classify this surf wave as a little below other boats I've ridden behind.

Saw another thread where people cut out the cooler and stuffed a 370 bag in there. Probably going to give that a try in order to eliminate some of the bags on the seats. Will update this thread if/when I complete that mod.

cigars n scotch
06-25-2014, 05:01 PM
When you say "half on sun deck-half on port side seats with the 650" is the bag curled over the backrest or am I misunderstanding this?

I need to get a damn portable tsunami pump. I really would like to get my '08 21V dialed but I can't put bags on my seats with a 3 yr old and an infant in the main cabin.

jkjasdj
06-25-2014, 08:56 PM
I have a 2006 21V. I just upgraded and bought from wake makers two 900lb bags for rear lockers. I ride regular and on Port side. So Left rear locker I fill bag as full as possible, sometimes open ups locker cover but mainly stays closed. I put approx 600lb or 1/2 full in the 1180 center bag, and put about 200 in the Starboard side bag. Nothing on seats except my 11yr old and 9yr old with the flag in the port side corner seat. Wife driving...great wake, wireless....upgrading tot he 900lb bags made all the difference as I had the stock 600bags before. Just a little of the plate raised and it is a great ride...