PDA

View Full Version : Stalling, Idling issue. Need some advice!!

Henner
08-14-2013, 04:40 PM
I am new to the forum and needing some help/advice on what is going on. Been a frustrating summer. I'll try to explain everything i have done to correct this issue and hopefully someone can chime in on what im missing.

I have a 90 Supra Comp TS6M, PCW 351
I purchased the boat this spring and had previously set in closed storage for almost 2 years. Performed all the regular maintenace stuff drained gas tank, oil change, filters changed, carb rebuild, etc. Now heres the problem boat does not want to idle unless i have it around 1000-1100 rpm's, once you put it in gear very low speed (no wake zone) it will stall and die unless you get it back up to 1200 rpm's and now im making a wake and makes it very hard to tighten rope for my son.

What we have done to try to correct this.
Timing set to 10 degrees
Points set to 32 with dwell meter
Can completely close idle circuit screws and boat still idles at 1000 (replaced power valve with no change)
Can not find any vacuum leaks using carb cleaner all around the carb.
I am getting good spark and fire, have not problems starting the boat, I just want it to idle at 600 and be able to cruise slowly in gear. Sorry if i rambled to much just wanted to give as much information as possible if you have any other questions about what i have tried or advice please let me know. Thanks again.

chris young
08-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Mine is doing similar, in my case, I'm pretty sure it's the front float bowl needle and seat. The port side primary booster is dripping fuel into the carb at idle. I know you said you rebuilt the carb, but do you know the float is good?

michael hunter
08-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Is your engine level or pitched to the rear? Where did you set the float level?

Jetlink
08-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Is your engine level or pitched to the rear? Where did you set the float level?

Pretty sure the Comp always had the 1:1 transmission like mine Comp as well as your most recent addition. Therefore the carb does not sit level like we discussed on the phone back when we were talking shop about Comps.

michael hunter
08-15-2013, 08:19 AM
If the carb is at an angle the front float must be adjusted lower or the engine will run rich. The best way is to add a wedge plate under the carb to level out the carb. They are available at Summit Racing.

Henner
08-15-2013, 10:04 AM
If the carb is at an angle the front float must be adjusted lower or the engine will run rich. The best way is to add a wedge plate under the carb to level out the carb. They are available at Summit Racing.

I have the plate under the carb and the carb seems to be perfectly level. My motor also sets level it does not have the downward pitch to towards the rear.

lively
08-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Just take the bowls off and set the floats a little tighter so that the seat is seating with less gas in the bowl .

Have you looked down the throat of the carb to see if the ventures are leaking ?

Henner
08-15-2013, 03:48 PM
I do not have fuel leaking anywhere and get a good spray from the accel pump when throttle is pumped. But would the floats have any affect on the idle circuit screws not doing anything when screwed all the way in? The boat does smell to rich when running.

chris young
08-15-2013, 06:21 PM
The floats won't have any effect on the engine not stalling when the idle screws are all the way in. I'm no expert but that sounds like the power valve. I know you replaced it, but that's what all the books and websites say. I still haven't done it on mine, but it makes good sense to put a vacuum gauge on there and troubleshoot that way. You may be chasing a carb issue that doesn't exist. I know my boss had his boat giving him all kinds of trouble and it turned out to be the distributor. In my case, until I fix the float issue there's no point in going further. There's a good place to check out on the subject http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

Good luck, keep us posted.