PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent sputtering at the beginning of the day.

trayson
08-14-2013, 08:11 PM
So, on Sunday the boat developed a new problem. We were driving out at about 25 to 30 mph and out of nowhere, the engine coughs and loses all power. Then it would sputter and run rough with any load on it, especially over 2000 rpm's. The symptoms seemed to decrease as time went by, and after a bit, the boat would run fairly normal.

Tuesday it did the same thing. Sputtering intermittently and after a while run okay.

Last night I emptied the fuel filter, added heet to the gas tank, and replaced the spark plugs. Today it ran well mostly, but had one big sputter with significant loss of power. Then, after a bit, the boat ran like normal. There was one or two little ones later, but nothing as extreme as Sunday or Tuesday.

I researched a little and one possibility seems to be water in the tank.

Has anyone ever had symptoms like this? I have a 92 sunsport with the pcm351 and the pro tec ignition system with the coil packs. And a holley 4 barrel.

villain
08-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Typical symptoms of water in fuel. Buy ethanol free fuel.

trayson
08-14-2013, 10:02 PM
I have used ethanol free the last few fill ups. However, we did change to a more aggressive surf weighting and it is possible that even with the snorkel on the fuel breather that I might had got some in. I did relocate my breather recently to the starboard side . So maybe I won't be adding water in the future.

jaywidhalm
08-15-2013, 12:20 PM
I agree, sounds like water in the fuel to me.

villain
08-16-2013, 10:02 AM
I would move the vent to the front of the boat. Then there s no chance to suck water in.

wotan2525
08-16-2013, 11:15 AM
You should be able to get a different kind of vent or add a loop into the line to prevent this from happening.

It could also be debris in your tank. Gets sucked into the pick-up screen, then when you turn the boat off it has a chance to settle back to the bottom again. A clear in-line fuel filter could help you diagnose this. You would be able to look at it when you experience problems and see if it's looking low. I run a little glass one in my truck just to help with diagnosing issues.