PDA

View Full Version : Slalam Group?

96Comp
08-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Anyone interested in starting a slalom group? I know Supra is primarily wakeoard forum, but there have to be some slalom skiers out there. Being a Comp owner refitted with tower, I'm obvioisly into both wakeboarding and slalom. Let me know and I'll contact the administrators.

Jetlink
08-14-2013, 11:19 PM
I do both though this is the first year where I have only had the wakeboard out once so far and I was not riding behind the Comp when I did, I cheated and went behind the Cobalt instead to see what the wake was like. I'd be down for a slalom forum on here as I am sure a few others might as well.

Supra_Comp
08-15-2013, 01:59 AM
Count me in

Cusefan78
08-15-2013, 06:16 AM
Count me in

96Comp
08-15-2013, 07:16 AM
I sent a message to the iforum webmaster asking for a section. Moomba has a slalom section. Nice if Supra did too. I see more people on skis at our lake. I'm also putting in a course for the "off season". Insta slalom does not take long to set up, but not a great course to leave in the water all summer.

PS - apologies for mis-spelling "slalam" above. Not paying attention and using an iPhone!

michael hunter
08-15-2013, 08:13 AM
I just added a 84 comp to the fleet for my wife .She stills slalom skis . 96comp what lake do you ski on?

96Comp
08-15-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm on Lake Anna in Virginia. Adding to fleet just for slalom is pretty cool!

drize
08-15-2013, 10:18 AM
If you create it, we will come. Count me in.

chrisk
08-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Another slalom-er here.

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/chriskuecker/G0050220_zpscd39d59c.jpg (http://s842.photobucket.com/user/chriskuecker/media/G0050220_zpscd39d59c.jpg.html)

jaywidhalm
08-15-2013, 12:17 PM
ChrisK, I like that shot..very cool. I also slalom, and am waaaay better at it than wakeboarding. Still trying to self teach on the board. I would be in for a slalom category.

96Comp
08-15-2013, 01:01 PM
This is looking real good! I wish there were more at Lake Anna to help set up and maintain a course! Jay, I'm also better at slalom than boarding. Something about staying close to the water is comforting. But, the same principles for slalom apply to boarding - drop hips and pull from center of body, keep tension on the rope and board back to the handle, etc. I also found that bouncing on the kids trampoline helped! When you do fall, 19 mph feels better than 34 and 36 mph!

Cusefan78
08-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Don't know about that. I fell last year on a wakeboard and almost knocked myself out. I think it was the hardest fall I have ever had. It hurt so much I haven't tried wakeboarding again. Ill take my 32 mph falls any day over the 19 mph face plants.

96Comp
08-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Oh, yeah. Faceplants hurt. Did that earlier this summer. Tried to do a switch jump and landed on the edge. Faceplant. My eyelids rolled like shutters in a cartoon!

chris young
08-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Count me in too. It's my game. I free ski behind my own boat and ski in the course at the club. Hey Chris K let's see the same shot on your off side;)

inair
08-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Hey great idea. I'm mostly a poser but really enjoy getting out there and trying to do a little better every year.

jaywidhalm
08-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Yeah, hooking an edge is so immediate and direct. There seems to be a lot more sliding and tumbling with a slalom, even at the higher speeds. I at least have time to shut my eyes! ;)

Cusefan78
08-15-2013, 08:48 PM
That cartoon eye roll describes my fall to a T. I enjoyed the flips on a wakeboard but for me nothing Is better then trying to rip the back of the boat out of the water one ski. I hope we can get something going on this site.

haugy
08-16-2013, 03:17 PM
I suck terribly at slaloming, but always enjoyed trying to do it better.

ChrisK, that is a sick picture. Nice work.

sybrmike
08-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Great shot Chrisk! I'd be interested in following a slalom thread, but don't know how much I could contribute. My course days are mostly behind me & my stick is still a Jobe SCO1. Obviously from my last outing - it'll be a while before I'm back on one ski (or anything else until the calf heals up - still some discoloration & soreness from mid-July).

SupraLaunch21V
08-20-2013, 04:52 PM
i use the Moomba forum for slalom 'groups' and discussion. I would really like it if Supra had this as an individual thread as well. There are slalom topics here, just buried under other stuff. Even through SC will be going away from direct drives, this ( skiing and slalom ) is still a core activity under watersports. . . and adding a group woudl be a nice, albeit small, measure to make sure that all watersports are promoted.

Great thought! You definitely have the support here. JY

SupraLaunch21V
08-20-2013, 04:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dQnTxHE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eSxxei9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NSGvrbL.jpg

Cusefan78
08-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Are those basis bindings. I have a system 8 and I want to changes bindings to one of the new styles. It's getting old having my feet cramp and my toes go numb. Any recommendations. I heard the radar bindings will fit.

96Comp
08-20-2013, 09:50 PM
This is great! Will keep on SC to add the group!

SupraLaunch21V
08-21-2013, 10:17 AM
These are the attack bindings from 2012. I think they are the same as the basis but only in blk/red. The basis are blk/red but are the same size and identical gear. If you look at the top pic the older Triumph ( on right hanging on the wall with faux wood grain ), they have the basis bindings. The '12 Triumph in the middle has the attack. I din't like the bulky animal bindings or the O'brien front boot. Its huge and it didn't seem to have any performance gain at all.

But I do love the new HO Triumph. Man it really turns and scoots. . for a beginner running the course ( like me ) at -15 off through all MPH ranges, its perfect.

Cusefan78
08-21-2013, 06:21 PM
If you had to choose between the two which would you go with. I'm looking for stiff but comfortable and don't want the crushing feeling the animals give you.

drize
08-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Thought I would post a couple slalom photos of my daughters taken a few years ago. When they were young, I made them slalom before they could go tubing. They also do a bit of barefooting off the boom. I'm so proud.12990129911299212993

SupraLaunch21V
08-22-2013, 09:50 AM
@ Cusefan78
They are pretty much the same, so which ever one you find cheaper. I ski the newer Triumph more and the only thing I've noticed when I run the course hard is that I tend to cinch up the attack boots too tight and it cuts my big toe ( could also be a freakish genetic thing with an enlarged toe too ), but only on the front foot. But free skiing, I just pull the boot to get the slack out. Very comfortable boots. I bought these skis at the same time last year and it was the first time I've ever had a double boot or a hard shell and I'm very impressed. I wouldn't go back to an RTP or to another boot style. I don't think you will will be disappointed. I have the XL version and I wear a size 11-12 shoe. Fits perfect.

@drize: wow, they are really ripping it up!! That's a Goode ski right?

If anyone is close to me in Raleigh, my ski course just arrived at my house. We are putting the course in @ Jordan Lake, upper Beaver Creek where the course was circa 2007.

I'm attempting to get permits for a permanent course and have all of the paperwork to submit. However, it may take a while. So i'm installing the course and just sinking it when not in use. Anyone is welcome to ping me when we go out and have some fun. It would be great to get some skiers running frequently and sharing some knowledge and tips.

Once I have it up I"ll send out the GPS coordinates to find the course.

Jetlink
08-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Already 3 pages worth of posts and 27 replies...seems like there is a decent draw for a dedicated forum for the slalom skiers of the boards. I'm getting really interested in upgrading my equipment after seeing your gear John.

SupraLaunch21V
08-22-2013, 03:45 PM
To be honest, I'm still working on foundational stuff, but the ski has made a difference along the way. I'm running through the course at 30 mph @ -15 to -22 off. . but once I get up in the 34 mph, where body position is a tad more critical ) it gets . . well. . fun.

But I used to ski on the Synchro and it was / is a really good ski. But wow, the Triumph really picks up at 28-30 mph and is wicked fast across the wake. I love this ski.
Excited about the forum. Sometimes going to 5-6 difference sites for new / old articles is just difficult throughout the day. What I like on the Moomba forum is that someone will dig up an article and post it and its fun to read what others are working on ( and succeeding ) and how they are systematically creating an approach to better form, better results and having more fun.

Thanks for bringing this up. . I think I raised the issue a while back but it seems like we're getting the exposure we should have. Rock on.

Cusefan78
08-22-2013, 03:49 PM
I ordered ho basis last night from Wiley's. They had them for $100 apiece. Excited to try them this weekend.

Jetlink
08-22-2013, 04:15 PM
John, what boots do you have on the Triumph?

SupraLaunch21V
08-22-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm interested in how you like the Basis boots. I think you will find they are very comfortable. After watching the guys that have the old style wrap around ( animal type ) struggle at the back of the boat I noticed I don't have this issue. Mine are like a pair of soft socks.

The red/black boots are Attack boots. I am not entirely sure HO carries these anymore. They may, I just haven't seen them on the site. So the black/red Triumph ski with the red/black attack boots are my preferred set up for now.

The basis boots sit on the 71" triumph and I can't slog around the course on that ski. I guess I probably could, it just isn't the best wake crossing shape. Hope that helps. Let me know what you think of the boots when you get 'em.

96Comp
08-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Guys, this is going to take a team effort. No response from Supra. Please contact them (phone or email) and ask to start a group in iForum. There is more here than has ever been in the wakeboard group!

Cusefan78
08-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Ill let you know how they feel after the weekend. I'm pretty excited to mount them tomorrow. I just rebuilt my tranny so I'm going to have to take it easy this week but I'm still going to get a few runs in.

Also I just emailed supra about adding a section.

Loadup
08-23-2013, 08:27 AM
So are there any Jobe fans ? I was talking to a rep at the 54th Masters this year and they are back in the states now.

Cusefan78
08-23-2013, 09:02 AM
I skied on a jobe a few years ago. Wasnt a huge fan. I have always been an ho guy other then my first set of fombos that were connolys but I think my next ski might be a radar. I have heard good things about them. Those strada boots are suppose to be the most comfortable and I have always been a huge herb obrien fan.

SupraLaunch21V
08-23-2013, 09:13 AM
I heard Jobe was expanding 'back' into the US Market. To be honest I'm actually surprised since there are already dominant players in the game. But its a good sign for the sport. Just curious to the group, have you all checked out INT Amateur League? Each state should have a list of sponsored events. I did my first tournament last month. Had an absolute blast. It was so laid back and I met so many good people that shared tuning tips, advice, and encouragement while I was starting the course at -15 off at 28 mph. It actually turned into a family event too, where my daughter ( 3 years ) wanted to ski the event and my wife will be thinking about it next year.

Okay, squirrel moment, back to skis.

In the 80's we had mainly HO and O'Brien. I have a Cut 'n Jump ski upstairs in the attic. I don't know who made that.
April Coble and Chris Coble have been longtime supporters of the HO Syndicate line, but have switched to Goode in the past few months.

Have never tried the RADAR ski but have heard nothing but good things. But me, I'm still an HO guy. I like the stick I'm on.

Jetlink
08-23-2013, 10:27 AM
So are there any Jobe fans ? I was talking to a rep at the 54th Masters this year and they are back in the states now.

One of the three skis that I "inherited" from my father-in-law is his old Jobe something or other. I finally rode it this summer a few weeks back. It is shorter and skinnier than the Connelly I normally ride so that made for a different ride. It seemed a little more squirrely to me too. I'd ride it again just for kicks but I feel more comfortable on the Connelly. As for my next setup, I am thinking either an HO or Radar, haven't decided just yet but then again, our season is starting to wind down here in another month or so and that is why I am not in a huge rush.

Loadup
08-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Liking the stick your on plays a big part of it, I guess thats why I still have it. My quiver consist of two slalom skis, mine and the one I let everybody else ride. Radar was in the house at the masters aswell.

SupraLaunch21V
08-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Wow, just sick how they lay it over like that. Not there yet, but working on it. Its a journey right? LOL

jaywidhalm
08-23-2013, 08:21 PM
I ski a Connely F1 X and love it! Radar is actually made by Herb O'Brien. Went to more advanced and modern technology after he sold the HO name. I have heard awesome things about these skis...but they won't just do it all for you. I was thinking of trying a demo ride for a weekend for around 30-50 bucks just to see how different it is than my Connelly.

chris young
08-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Way to go guys, the new slalom group is up. FWIW I just bought a Radar Senate, and it's a great ski, upgraded from my HO CDX.

Jetlink
08-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Chris, what boots do you have on that Senate? I'm on the fence about going either HO Triumph or Radar Senate and then there is the whole discussion on boots...

chris young
08-28-2013, 12:31 PM
I just moved my Animals over from my CDX for now. I was really just looking for a bigger ski (my CDX was a 66 and I figured I really should have been on a 67.) so I didn't want to spend a whole heap of cash. As it turns out the Senate is a wonderful ski. I don't think I'll even consider new boots until I can consistently run a pass at 15off/34mph. Currently I only get a look at 4 ball at 30MPH and while I was making steady progress up to a couple of weeks ago, I'm out for the rest of the season with a meniscal tear in my right knee

SupraLaunch21V
08-28-2013, 12:44 PM
You guys know how I"m an HO Triumph guy. . just sayin'. . LOL. . . there are really some great skis on the market now. And I would love to upgrade to either a GOODE or a Syndicate A3. . but to be honest, with me venturing into the -22 off stage. . I think it would be a waste of money. But it would 'look' nice on my boat. Ha

Jetlink
08-28-2013, 02:18 PM
You guys know how I"m an HO Triumph guy. . just sayin'. . LOL. . . there are really some great skis on the market now. And I would love to upgrade to either a GOODE or a Syndicate A3. . but to be honest, with me venturing into the -22 off stage. . I think it would be a waste of money. But it would 'look' nice on my boat. Ha

Which plays well into the adage that "It doesn't matter if you are good at it just as long as you look good doing it."

Cusefan78
08-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat. Do I need a new ski, no but I really want one.

Cusefan78
08-28-2013, 06:04 PM
That a3 is suppose to be pretty nasty. Heard a lot of good things.

SupraLaunch21V
08-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Ha. . I"m with you there. I've purchased 5 skis in 2012. . and I"m still looking for my next ride. I was at Coble Ski School earlier this year and the A3 was being tossed around and i can say that 2-3 ppl left the camp with a new stick in their trunk. I should have tried it, but since I wanted to work on core positioning, it didn't seem like the right thing to do. But wow, there was some fantastic skiing at the end of the last day on that Syndicate Ski.

And then the big news this year, April Coble and Chris Eller both switched to Goode skis and seem to be doing pretty well with those. BUt I'd have to find a bag of $$ in my backyard to cough up for a ski like that.

chris young
08-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Yup, I concur. I think we get way too caught up in gear when it's our technique that is the real concern. I bet diamonds to doughnuts that Nate could run into 39 on his first set on my ski without changing anything at all.

Cusefan78
08-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Yeah I would need to find a few bags of cash. The nano is 1600 blank. I can't see it making that much of difference to justify that kind of money.

SupraLaunch21V
08-30-2013, 08:54 AM
even the middle of the road skis are running 600 inseason. Blank.

Luckily, the best time to look is end of Sept / Oct when all of the ski stuff goes out of season. Last year, I just happened by a shop in Richmond, VA to buy my DAD a pair of ski gloves b/c his hands always hurt. He's over 70 so I thought a nice pair of comfortable gloves would be a nice gift. I walked past the ski's running my fingers down the edge of a black ski ( not thinking much of it at the time ) walking towards the vests / gloves.

I picked up a pair of gloves and took them to the counter. The owner said, I can sell you that ski. . . .cheap. I said it would have to be real cheap, my wife is in the car and she would surely notice me walking out with a new stick after coming in for only gloves. The owner said, name your price. I double checked the ski length and boots to make sure they would fit, they are XL's and didn't even notice they were different. One basis, one attack. I said throw in a ski bag and I'll give you $ 299 for it.

And I moved to my next problem. . having to walk to the car with a new ski bag, ski tucked in and a bag with gloves in it looking at my wife's expression when I said, "Hey Hun, pop the trunk". It was an interesting conversation after that.

chris young
09-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Ok I'll bite, what the hell did you buy all in for 299? I thought I got a screaming deal on my Senate (Blank) for 239.

inair
09-06-2013, 02:22 PM
239 for a Senate is a Very good deal. I've been watching ski-it-again and havent seen even a used 2011 for that price.

SupraLaunch21V
09-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Ok I'll bite, what the hell did you buy all in for 299? I thought I got a screaming deal on my Senate (Blank) for 239.

$ 299 was a ski bag, 2012 Triumph with both boots. I think typically they were running about $ 600 with both boots in 2012. I'd like to try the Senate for sure.