PDA

View Full Version : Muffler for 84 Rider

chris young
08-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Ok, so I spent 2 weeks with my boat at the cottage skiiing 2 Sets twice a day, so I've gotten used to the way the boat pulls and sounds. (my wife has become a pretty good driver too;) Then I went back to the club on Saturday and skied behind the the Mid 2000s Nautique 196 and discovered something about my Rider. It's a very good ski boat, and... It's really loud!

So I'm putting in mufflers. The bullet type that Ultra Marine makes looks like the best choice to get some on without a lot of work. I'm assuming you just unbolt the riser, pull and cut the rubber hose to size, and put it all back together. I would assume it's a 1 or 2 hour job at most.

I've only been able to find one post where someone put these in and there was no feedback on how well they worked.

Does anyone know how much of a difference they'll make?

I really don't like being the loudest boat on the lake, and my wife likes it even less. I will pull the floor and put in the long ones if they would make a bigger difference. The floor needs to come up anyways (I won't be doing a full cap off resto but I will be pulling the "new" floor out and then most of the original at some point in the near future)

Comments?

jeff_in_ny
08-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Have you thought about a FAE (fresh air exhaust)? It should reduce the noise, reduce CO in the air, and be an easier install.

chris young
08-15-2013, 03:15 PM
I had, but I'm not so sure it's an easier install, and it certainly is more money (about twice as much). I also think if I only do one or the other (thinking of both) I'll get more bang out of the Ultra Marine