PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Supra Comp strange Ignition Problem

doug_c
08-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Hi all, hoping someone has run into this problem before. My boat has been running great all summer then near the last day of two weeks on the water I had a strange starting issue. My boat has a non solenoid type starter circuit where the positive cable from the battery connects directly to the starter relay. When I turn on the ignition the starting circuit is stuck in 'ready' mode meaning when you turn the ignition key once a loud beep is heard then turn once more to turn the starter motor. So now as soon as I connect the battery (without a key) the 'ready' beep goes and a constant cranking signal to the starter motor. The only way to stop it is to disconnect the power? I've checked the circuit breaker, all fuses including the inline ones and nothing is blown. I have a feeling it is the starter relay but want to be sure before I replace it.

Any help would be great! Thanks.

chris young
08-16-2013, 10:05 PM
I just had a quick look at the 1990 manual to see if I could find anything for you in the wiring diagram and god I hate supra diagrams... But the bottom line is that all motors have a solenoid. I'm guessing that this is what you're calling a relay. It's all the same really. If as soon as you connect the battery the starter starts to turn you can only have one of two issues; either the starter relay/solenoid is stuck (most likely) or the start portion of the ignition switch is stuck. The simplest thing to do is disconnect the positive terminal from the starter relay and connect the battery. If the problem persists it's the solenoid, if it doesn't, it's the ignition switch.

Hope this helps

CornRickey
08-16-2013, 10:25 PM
charge the battery and look for loose or corroded wires

villain
08-17-2013, 02:25 AM
Chris young hit the nail on the head. F the hot wire connects to the starter, I'm netting the starter is bad.

michael hunter
08-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Change the starter relay . It is located on the rear of the engine between the battery and the starter. They can be purchased at a local auto parts store it is not a marine only part.

chris young
08-17-2013, 08:37 AM
I just re read my post and when I said to disconnect the +ve terminal, I meant the small one that comes from the start switch not the big one that comes from the battery. Let us know what you find.

Cheers

doug_c
08-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll report back what I find. My boat is in the water right now at my place and I won't be going back for a week or two. I'll take up a new starter relay and try your test Chris.

trayson
08-23-2013, 01:00 AM
charge the battery and look for loose or corroded wires

Yeah, if you have bad wires/terminals/corrosion then it's going to spike the amerage and could cook your relay and weld the contacts inside making it so it doesn't disengage. Of course you could just pull the starter to relay wire to see if that makes it disengage.

Change the starter relay . It is located on the rear of the engine between the battery and the starter. They can be purchased at a local auto parts store it is not a marine only part.

Yeah, the starter relay is like $10 at the auto parts store. I'm kind of wondering why I didn't buy a 2nd one as a spare when I recently replaced mine!!!

I had a starter that had the bendix gear sticking engaged to the flywheel. I cooked two starters and after finally changing the starter, RELAY, and cleaning all the wiring terminals the problem seemed to be solved. Just in case I also upgraded all my battery cables to zero gauge welding cable with new terminals (well, except for the main power wire $$$). But I did do a new ground from the batteries to the block. Overkill, but why not.

If I were you I'd start with the relay and bring a test light.