PDA

View Full Version : Need a few things to make it run right

LoganP
08-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Ok, so I bought my boat back at the beginning of summer, it had some engine issues (known the previous owner my whole life, good guy, just zero mechanical skills). It is a PCM 351 rated for 235hp. I got it running ok with new plugs, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new fuel filter base, replace two freeze plugs, new belts, new hoses, and an oil change. However it has been doggy out of the hole, went to do some carb tuning and got my dad involved and we noticed my carb sat parallel with the engine where his Ski West has a wedge plate to make the carb sit level. I began to look for a wedge plate, but I'm not sure whether these boats require an 8 degree wedge or a 12 degree wedge (those were the two I found). Which is more correct? I am also looking to convert from points to electronic ignition. I currently have a Mallory distributor on it. What is everyone's preferred conversion kit? The previous owner did not winterize the boat before last winter and it split the exhaust manifolds. They cracked all the way down the outside edge, I am a good welder and welded them up (still zero external leaks) but I believe they may be split on the inside and leaking water down into the cylinders as I am getting water in the oil but compression tests show ok so I don't believe I have a blown head gasket. And lastly, the prop has a small ding in one blade. The price to fix it is close to the price of new, and someone told me these boats run smoothest with a 4 blade 13" diamater 12-1/2 pitch prop (currently has 3 blade 13" 13 pitch). What is everyone's opinion there? Thanks for any input!

CornRickey
08-21-2013, 10:27 PM
replace the manifolds. you have done a ton of work on it. why not do it all right. I used Petronix and was happy with it. my PCM 351w didn't have a wedge for my Holley. My guess would be accelerator pump issues. See if both barrels squirt fuel into the throats when you open the butterflies.

michael hunter
08-21-2013, 11:12 PM
If the manifolds froze so did the engine . I would stop with upgrades until you find the source of the water in the oil. Its very likely you have a cracked block and or heads.

LoganP
08-21-2013, 11:38 PM
I plan to replace the manifolds, I just need to know where to find them. Mine had a 4bbl Edelbrock on it when I bought it. It squirts all kinds of fuel when you pump the throttle hard. My dad has built some hot small blocks for cars, he thinks the carb needs to sit level so the float sits at the right level. My plan is to replace the manifolds and see if that stops the water in oil issue, I think the freeze plugs may have saved the block but if the manifolds don't fix it I'll tear down the motor.

michael hunter
08-22-2013, 06:37 AM
Manifolds are available at skidim or just Google PCM exhaust manifolds there are a ton of places that see them.

LoganP
08-23-2013, 12:52 AM
10-4, Thanks

jasun
08-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Manifolds are available at skidim or just Google PCM exhaust manifolds there are a ton of places that see them.

I had to replace one this year and Skidim was the cheapest I could find.

92SupraComp
08-27-2013, 02:03 AM
oh, and to your Original question, you need a 12 degree wedge.