PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Sunsport - SE WI - what is it worth?

bochnak
08-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Hi everyone,

First post here and in the market for a 93' or newer sunsport.

Have a look at this listing and let me know what you think. I'm not in a rush as long as we have one by next spring.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/4003711749.html

Thanks,
Matt

kvand347
08-24-2013, 09:39 AM
Hi everyone,

First post here and in the market for a 93' or newer sunsport.

Have a look at this listing and let me know what you think. I'm not in a rush as long as we have one by next spring.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/4003711749.html

Thanks,
Matt

I have a '93 and would say that you should be able to get the owner to come down on price. Vinyl replacement is expensive! Boat does not have tower, ballast, etc. that you would need to really surf or wakboard. You need to take it for a water test to determine what kind of mechanical shape it is in. As far as stringers, he is right! No worries on wood.

bochnak
08-26-2013, 07:07 AM
Thanks, Kevin.

This seller is "testing waters" so I don't think he is too motivated.

In your mind, what should this boat be selling for?

michael hunter
08-26-2013, 07:34 AM
What is 8xx hours ? Was his 0 key no working? I would say he is not far off on price if the rest of the boat is exceptionally clean.

bochnak
08-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Cool, thanks.

bochnak
08-26-2013, 11:49 AM
I might go look at it this weekend.

What are some ballpark costs for interior work?

Ptownkid
08-26-2013, 01:34 PM
What is 8xx hours ? Was his 0 key no working? I would say he is not far off on price if the rest of the boat is exceptionally clean.

He stated that he is still using it so that number keeps changing...made sense to me, haha.

kvand347
08-26-2013, 08:34 PM
I might go look at it this weekend.

What are some ballpark costs for interior work?

Depends what all needs to be done. If it is the complete interior you could be looking at $3,000. If it is just cushions, maybe $1,000. Others who have had theirs done would know best.

It's hard for me to say what you should offer since so much will be based on the overall condition of the boat. You need to check EVERTHING! Motor, steering, rudder, prop, tracking fins, gelcoat (scratches, stress cracks, dings, etc), guages...

If you really want our opinions, take LOTS of pictures and post them on here. From there we can determine a fair valuation of the boat given it is mechanically sound. Even then, we can only base it on its cosmetic value. A water test will show you its mechanical condition.

With that being said, the boat is probably worth somewhere between $9,000-$13,000 depending on condition. I think $10,000 would be a fair offer.

When he says he is "testing waters," ask him how much he pays to store it over the winter. He might change his mind if he's paying to keep it garaged!

**EDIT** I just noticed that it is missing the center windshield. If he still has the frame, then all you would need is a replacement glass that any glass company should be able to make. If no frame, that may be hard to obtain.

Ptownkid
08-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Not just the center piece but the left side windshield edge extrusion too...

kvand347
08-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Yep. That's missing as well. I'd ask several questions about it. If he tries to blow it off, keep on him about it. Depending on if he has the parts, it might be a deal breaker for me. The only way you are going to get that frame is off a donor boat or have someone custom make you one. You could make the sale contingent on him getting that fixed. If so, $10,000 could be a fair price like I stated earlier. If he won't fix it or doesn't have the parts, I'd offer lower.

All in all, it's more about what the boat is worth to YOU.

bochnak
08-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Good catch on the center windshield!

All I'm trying to do is get feel for what repairs may cost. Specifically the interior. So far what I have learned from this site is that it may be 3k for complete interior, and about $125 per cushion. This gives me a ballpark of what I may be in for.

I'm comfortable with assessing mechanical issues and know the costs involved. I have been around I/O's for some time and even rebuilt motors in the past. I'm new to inboards, though.

We'll see what else is needed when I go see the boat this or next weekend.

That 97' sunsport in Knoxville looks like a better deal than this one...Hmmmmm.

DAFF
08-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Normally the good ones go fast... So get ready to pounce !!

My gut on this one is leave it alone. No offence but the Blue colour scheme of this boat is much less desirable than a red or all white. The cushions look to be pounded so expect covers and foam. If you have cash in hand and don't mind waiting the perfect boat will come along. Be patient!!

bochnak
08-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Normally the good ones go fast... So get ready to pounce !!

My gut on this one is leave it alone. No offence but the Blue colour scheme of this boat is much less desirable than a red or all white. The cushions look to be pounded so expect covers and foam. If you have cash in hand and don't mind waiting the perfect boat will come along. Be patient!!

Agreed. I'm not too excited about this boat (price and color). We have cash in hand & willing to be patient. I think it would be worth looking at since it is 20min from the lakehouse and never seen or been on a sunsport.

My in laws just bought a lakehouse about 2 months ago and there is a ton of "stuff" going on to get the place up to snuff. We just want to be boating next spring.

I have a feeling a bunch of boats will be 4 sale after labor day and fall.

trayson
08-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Depends what all needs to be done. If it is the complete interior you could be looking at $3,000. If it is just cushions, maybe $1,000. Others who have had theirs done would know best.

It's hard for me to say what you should offer since so much will be based on the overall condition of the boat. You need to check EVERTHING! Motor, steering, rudder, prop, tracking fins, gelcoat (scratches, stress cracks, dings, etc), guages...

If you really want our opinions, take LOTS of pictures and post them on here. From there we can determine a fair valuation of the boat given it is mechanically sound. Even then, we can only base it on its cosmetic value. A water test will show you its mechanical condition.

With that being said, the boat is probably worth somewhere between $9,000-$13,000 depending on condition. I think $10,000 would be a fair offer.

When he says he is "testing waters," ask him how much he pays to store it over the winter. He might change his mind if he's paying to keep it garaged!

**EDIT** I just noticed that it is missing the center windshield. If he still has the frame, then all you would need is a replacement glass that any glass company should be able to make. If no frame, that may be hard to obtain.

Kevin is right. go over EVERYTHING. these boats are now over 20 years old. I just bought a 92 sunsport in April and I feel like I've been replacing a lot. Wiring and some of the other parts are getting tired.

And 1992 was the first year of the composite. That's what mine is and you can easily see the rounded windshield on my 92.

Yep. That's missing as well. I'd ask several questions about it. If he tries to blow it off, keep on him about it. Depending on if he has the parts, it might be a deal breaker for me. The only way you are going to get that frame is off a donor boat or have someone custom make you one. You could make the sale contingent on him getting that fixed. If so, $10,000 could be a fair price like I stated earlier. If he won't fix it or doesn't have the parts, I'd offer lower.

All in all, it's more about what the boat is worth to YOU.

The windshield could be a deal breaker for me. From what I've heard, getting a replacement center frame is near impossible.

Yeah, not too keen on the wood pattern on the dash. My color scheme is way better and much more timeless.

bochnak
08-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Kevin is right. go over EVERYTHING. these boats are now over 20 years old. I just bought a 92 sunsport in April and I feel like I've been replacing a lot. Wiring and some of the other parts are getting tired.

And 1992 was the first year of the composite. That's what mine is and you can easily see the rounded windshield on my 92.

The windshield could be a deal breaker for me. From what I've heard, getting a replacement center frame is near impossible.

Yeah, not too keen on the wood pattern on the dash. My color scheme is way better and much more timeless.

Thanks for the input. I've read your thread on the "stormtrooper", nice lookin' boat.

trayson
08-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the input. I've read your thread on the "stormtrooper", nice lookin' boat.

Thanks! It's been a great boat despite the handful of challenges. And when I see the prices of other sunsports, I'm pretty stoked that I got mine for $9,500.

bochnak
08-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks! It's been a great boat despite the handful of challenges. And when I see the prices of other sunsports, I'm pretty stoked that I got mine for $9,500.

That is why I'm not too interested in this one. You have a tower, PP, & better color all for a good price. Wanna sell...LOL?

trayson
08-27-2013, 01:12 PM
That is why I'm not too interested in this one. You have a tower, PP, & better color all for a good price. Wanna sell...LOL?

LOL. There have been times where I've wanted to start over in a V-drive. BUT, I've resolved myself that I'm going to stick with this one for at least 2 or 3 years, maybe 5. Ultimately I'm sure I'll end up with a v-drive. For the reason of being able to not have surf ballast bags on the floor alone. Plus I'm a lot more wake/surf than I am ski. In fact, I attempted slalom for the first time in 5 to 10 years a few weeks ago. It was rough and that didn't help at all. I took so many pulls I lost count trying to get up on a single ski again. Frustrating because in the past I'd take 1, maybe 2 pulls to get up. I did get out of the water one time, but unfortuantely the PP wasn't turned on and the wife towed me up to thrity something MPH on not smooth water and I crashed and burned! That said, I have even removed the ski pylon from my boat to have a smidge more room. No reason to have it in there if I never ski.

I'm sure when the time comes to sell, I'll do quite well. Of course, I probably won't get back all the money I've put into it, but I always mod things and upgrade and pour money in for personal satisfaction rather than simply "return on investment".

kvand347
08-28-2013, 07:34 PM
That 97' sunsport in Knoxville looks like a better deal than this one...Hmmmmm.

If I were you, I'd be driving to Knoxville and picking up that Sunsport! Looks to be better overall condition, newer year, GT-40 = 310hp. DONE! :)

trayson
08-29-2013, 01:16 AM
Me likes that 97. Nice looking tower and the price seems right. Get on that!

bochnak
10-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Well Guys, I guess this is my way of saying goodbye...LOL. Picked up a 94' MC Prosport 205:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57628