PDA

View Full Version : Wake comparisons

chris young
08-25-2013, 08:43 AM
I figured I'd get the ball rolling. I ski mostly behind a mid 2000's Nautique 196 at the club close to home, and my cottage tow boat is my 1984 Rider. My initial comparison of the two boats from a skiing perspective is the wakes on my Rider are a bit smaller (at 15 off) but the feel harder. I'd be curious to hear other comparisons. I'd love to ski behind a comp sometime to compare as well.

I chose the Rider because it was an open bow, and I knew we'd be taking a boat full of people out occasionally I had 5 adults in my Rider while I was skiing this summer and as a skier, it felt the same as when my wife alone is in the boat. She said there was definitely a bit less jump out of the water with it weighed down like that.

So far only one season on the boat and it has done exactly what I bought it for very well, not bad for a 30 year old boat.

96Comp
08-25-2013, 07:55 PM
I have a Comp and can verify the wake is smooth and soft. Come off the first, glide over the second and continue to pull out to the bouy.

But it does not throw the board wake that your Rider does. Also, 4 people is comfortable, 5 people is crowded and with 6 you'd better be related to each other .... or trying to get that way!!! Mine is a '96. The newer and longer Comps are probably a good compromise.

inair
08-26-2013, 10:42 AM
I have only skied behind two inboard boats. By far the best wake I've ever skied behind was an 89 Comp. That wake was small and soft pretty much the length of the skiable distance behind the boat. My Sunsport with full gas tank and 3 people is very good too but changes more with rope length. The wake isn't all that hard but the closer you are to the boat, the harder it is and the farther you are from the boat the flatter it is.

Cusefan78
08-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Those older comps I think are the best ski boats made. I have skied behind a few early 90s comps, a new mastercraft, Malibu, and my labrisa. I love my labrisa. It's very comfortable, fast, handles like a Ferrari, and has a nice wake on it. I still would love to get a comp though.

Jetlink
08-26-2013, 06:28 PM
I'll see if I can get a good pic of my comp wake but there is nothing in the world I would trade my comp in for to ski behind unless someone else is picking up the tab. Can't beat the wake behind it in my humble opinion!

Cusefan78
08-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Jet, what year is yours. I have been contemplating getting a mid 90s with glass stringers in it. What engine and tranny setup do you have.

michael hunter
08-26-2013, 08:46 PM
To the best of my knowledge the Nautique 200 Direct Drive has the best ski wake in the world. The Centurion Carbon Pro [A direct descendant of the Gekko.] and the Malibu Response TXI are supposed to be very good also. MC just came out with a new ProStar but there is nothing but pics so far. Your Rider is a inboard runabout it does OK with everything but dosnt do great at anything. Its too bad Supra dosnt make a ski boat anymore if you are ever near Lake Lanier Georgia look me up and I will give you a pull on a 84 comp.

Cusefan78
08-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Where is lake Lanier. I head to Alabama every spring for golf trips.

Jetlink
08-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Jet, what year is yours. I have been contemplating getting a mid 90s with glass stringers in it. What engine and tranny setup do you have.

Mine is an '86 with the 351W and the 1:1 trans with the original prop on it for the time being. I plan on cleaning up the engine and a new prop when I restore my boat in the next year or so.

Michael, that new Prostar is supposed to be nice. Dealer buddy of mine is set to get one next June of 2014 and we are already planning to ride behind it as soon as we can. I'll let you know how that goes when the time happens.

96Comp
08-28-2013, 11:59 AM
I've also skied behind a Centurion Carbon Pro. Nice. Comp is just as nice. Would take either one.

michael hunter
08-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Where is lake Lanier. I head to Alabama every spring for golf trips.

Lake Lanier is in Georgia about 35 miles north of Atlanta .