PDA

View Full Version : Basis bindings.

Cusefan78
08-26-2013, 06:40 PM
So I mounted my new basis bindings on my system 8 but never got a chance to use them. I guess ill have to wait till Sunday. I did try them on and I can't believe how much more comfortable they are compared to my approach bindings.

inair
08-26-2013, 07:00 PM
I have a Basis front boot and rear toe plate. This is the first year I have used a hard shell binding. I was afraid of it at first because I thought it might not come off when I needed it to. Over the summer though, I have learned to love it! The stability and support have helped to improve my skiing.

Cusefan78
08-26-2013, 07:40 PM
How did your toes feel in them. Any crushing feeling on them. I ski with two bindings and I have had cramping from my approach boots since I have owned them.

SupraLaunch21V
08-26-2013, 07:42 PM
I think you will like the basis set up. It may feel odd at first, but I can't imagine ever going back to regular rubber boots. Keep us posted. John

Cusefan78
08-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks John. I'm heading back up north Sunday so hopefully ill get a chance to ski then.

inair
08-26-2013, 08:13 PM
The Basis boot has an open toe front. What I get from it is that you can push down on your toes and you heel wont come up and your foots lateral position is just as solid. I think you will really like them. I'm not a great skier and this ski/boot combo is the first move away from the old combo ski (adjustable rubber boot) set up that my family has used for years so maybe I am feeling the greatness more than some one who has been doing this a while. I'll be interested to hear how you like them.

Cusefan78
09-02-2013, 10:35 PM
So I finally got out on my new basis bindings. Wow what a difference. My first tub I had them a little loose but I couldn't believe how comfortable they are. On my second run I snugged them right up and wow. Comfortable and I feel like I have just as much control as my approach bindings.

SupraLaunch21V
09-03-2013, 10:16 AM
@ Cusefan78 Glad you like them. I noticed that when I got the boots snug, they still stretch a little in the water. So I got used to giving them a pretty good tug to start with and its about right.

Question for you: Did you go from a Rear Toe Plate to a back binding?

My friend tried my Triumph while we were skiing the course at Jordan and he didn't like the back boot. I remember it feeling odd, but didn't effect my skiing. He didn't like it at all though. Loved the ski, but couldn't get the feel of the back boot. So I was wondering if this was new to you or if you had double bindings to start with.

inair
09-03-2013, 12:32 PM
While out this weekend I took a header over the front of the ski. I normally like the feel of the boot being pretty snug but when I went over the front of the ski I didn't come out of the boot and my ankle was sore for a while. It made me a little nervous about tightening after that. There are times when the ski really should be able to come off right? SupraLaunch21v, you are talking about snug. Have you ever come out of the boot in a crash? Is it important or am I being paranoid?

Cusefan78
09-03-2013, 01:11 PM
I have been using double boots for the past 15 years. I could never go back to a toe plate. I will say that the basis boots have more movement to them then my approach or animals ever had even snugged right down. I think it's cause they stretch when wet like you said. Its just going to take some time to get used to it. As far as releasing I like my bindings so I have no play so when I go to cut its an instant transition to the turn. With that said I have learned to fall gracefully so I don't tear up my ankles. I did have a buddy use my ski this weekend and when he falls it amazes me that he lives through it. When he fell the bindings released which would not have happened with my old approach bindings.

inair
09-03-2013, 01:53 PM
I have learned to fall gracefully so I don't tear up my ankles.

I'll have to work on that :)

Jetlink
09-03-2013, 03:26 PM
I'll have to work on that :)

Need to adapt this sign to waterskiing and falls.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/04/u8usy6y4.jpg

Cusefan78
09-03-2013, 06:05 PM
I really wish I had a video of my buddy falling. He's going to kill himself if he doesn't figure it out

Jetlink
09-03-2013, 11:48 PM
I really wish I had a video of my buddy falling. He's going to kill himself if he doesn't figure it out

Tuck and roll or does he go for the full on tomahawk?

Cusefan78
09-04-2013, 07:23 AM
It's more like a few flips or its 36mph to 0 face plants. Hard enough where I feel it in the boat. I think I'm going to strap my gopro camera on him.

SupraLaunch21V
09-06-2013, 09:28 AM
There are times when the ski really should be able to come off right? SupraLaunch21v, you are talking about snug. Have you ever come out of the boot in a crash? Is it important or am I being paranoid?

Sorry, Missed this response I guess. I have taken some pretty hard falls ( some where the judge and safety officer stood up in the boot to make sure I was okay. . . and then burst into laughter after I gave the "all ok" signal ) and I don't think I've ever come out of the ski or boots. They are not overly tight, but they are snug fitting. Depending on your feet / toes and sizes, if you overtighten the front boot can start to cut into your big toe. Luckily I"ve never had any injuries.