PDA

View Full Version : Power steering Saltare

Sdc77
08-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Hello everybody,
I have seen on your 454 Saltare pictures that there is a steering pump located on the down right side of the engine.
Was it a factory option ?
Does every Saltare have power steering ?
I ask because even with a new steering cable, my direction is hard when running. And I don't have the power pump.
Is it hard to find ? What is needed for a complete setup ? Is it automotive compatible stuff ?

wotan2525
08-29-2013, 10:40 AM
I've never seen a power steering pump on one of these. Mine has the water pump on the drivers side of the engine?

Did you replace the helm? Did you repack/grease the rudder?

Sdc77
08-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Not worked on the rudder and helm yet. I will this winter

My water pump is on the front of the engine :

http://sdch2o.free.fr/perso/bateau/supra/IMG_1272.JPG

In place of the pump I've seen on 454 pics, I have a non factory fuel filter, connected to the stringer.

michael hunter
08-29-2013, 12:38 PM
I have never seen any inboard with power steering?

cadunkle
08-29-2013, 04:17 PM
What you're seeing on others engines is the raw water pump. PCM used a Sherwood pump mounted low on the starboard side of these engines. Someone likely converted to a crank mount pump on your engine for whatever reason. I'd suspect a worn out pump needing rebuild or a damaged housing, and crank mount pump were cheaper or easier to get overseas.

cadunkle
08-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Also, check your rudder for wear/looseness. Grab the bottom of rudder and wiggle side to side and front to back. There should be little or no movement. If significant, it will make it hard to steer. Mine is worn like this and steering is stiff at speed. At idle of on the trailer it steers easy. Solution is to replace the rudder assembly including rudder port. Newer style greasable rudder ports will last longer and steer easier if kept greased.

Sdc77
08-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Same symptoms for my direction at iddle and speed.
I will check for a newer style system this winter.
Yesterday I drove my friend's 2009 Malibu with cable steering, it's amazingly easier to turn than the Saltare. I then drove my boat and seem to drive a truck VS a city car ...

There are some mods done by the previous owner on my boat for sure. The distributor has a near box with "Mercruiser" writen on it (HEI control ?). I have a crank water pump. A Yamaha fuel filter/water separator, a 1 wire alternator and maybe other mods.

Thanks guys for lights on that sherwood low pump :)

TitanTn
08-29-2013, 09:31 PM
It may be time for a new steering cable. I'll be putting a new one in this winter. I drove Ngavdba's Rider this summer at the Reunion and it really did feel like power steering compared to mine. I didn't know there was anything wrong with mine, but wow, what a difference.

wotan2525
08-30-2013, 09:41 AM
For me, a new cable + helm set made it feel like it steered too easy. The first time out I was convinced that the cable wasn't connected to anything.