PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cover / Doghouse isn't seating right in the base, cover slides in base crooked

trayson
08-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Okay, on the engine cover of my Sunsport, it has started recently where the top portion (vinyl covered) won't seat perfectly into the bottom frame (carpeted) and the front corner of the top will dip in past the ledge it's supposed to be seated on.

So, around the frame of the doghouse is a 1" carpeted inside lip that the cover rests on. Either the cover's shape is changing as it ages, or the frame. It's like the frame has gotten wider and is almost too wide for a quick and easy fit every time.

As a "quick fix" I've been tempted to just cover a 3/4 or 1" piece of wood and extend the inner lip of the lower frame towards the engine. Effectively giving the top cover a wider base to rest on. the downside to this would be slightly less access to some of the stuff in the engine compartment (fuel filter, etc.) Any other thoughts on this approach?

Another idea might be to remove material from the carpeted base (making it narrower so it's a better fit to the top). But that would be a lot more involved.

And of course this is an issue because with a DD we can't help but be climbing on and over the doghouse. We have to stand on it to put the rope on the tower, we have to climb over it when we've got the surf ballast taking up the port side floor space. And heck, it makes a great table for snacks and sometimes even a fun little seat.

So, has anyone come across this before? What have you done to fix?

92SupraComp
08-29-2013, 07:25 PM
HA! I have this same problem. My dad did a temp fix years ago, but the wood base is Completely rotten, except the back piece that he replaced. No one can sit on mine because it either digs into the RWP or alternator, and if it sinks down on either side it also hits the bolts on the main water pump. I have 3 permanent scars in my hood :( but luckily they are inside the hood :)

:P forgot to mention, this winter we are having the top piece reupholstered and we are taking the base home to rebuild it.

trayson
08-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Okay, i figured it out. First I went and tightened all the bolts on the hinges and the brackets.

Then I took a look at the angle joint where the flat part of the doghouse base (against the ski pylon) meets the angled pieces (that face the observer seat and the driver's seat post respectively). What I found is that those angle joints of the doghouse base are held together with STAPLES! Really? Staples?

So I basically used some wood screws and screwed the angle pieces into the one that is against the ski pylon and BAM, it's fitting snug and I don't think I'll have any more dipping of the cover into the base.

I had to pull back a little of the carpet on the base to see the whole staple fail, but ultimately, it was a quick and easy fix.