PDA

View Full Version : Upsizing speaker holes - '86 Sunsport

ckracing
08-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Tape it off, trace the template - any advice on how to cut?
Jigsaw?
Rotary tool?

What type of blades?

Thanks!

Wylietunes
08-30-2013, 01:44 PM
I assume you're cutting gel and fiber glass? A jigsaw with a fine metal cutting blade works great if you have the room to swing the bask of the saw all the way around as you cut. Roto-zip works great, but free hand can be tricky. They can get away from you if not careful. I like the above idea of using the block of wood and a circle jig. A little bit of upfront prep time, but you should end up with a nice hole. This would also allow you to offset the new hole if needed.

wotan2525
08-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Also, keep in mind that the depth might be the limiting factor from going with a larger diameter speaker. Measure first!

Cusefan78
08-30-2013, 07:50 PM
You can get plexi spacers for behind the speakers rings if space is an issue. When I put my 6.5" kickers in, they were too deep. I put them at an angle at first but then picked up spacers from the local audio shop in my area. They are pretty common, you can also get led rings. My speakers already had LEDs so I just grabbed some plain ones.

Sdc77
08-31-2013, 06:59 AM
I used this stuff with a driller :

http://www.rouesalamelles.com/flexibles/roues_a_lamelles.htm

It's amazing how fast it eats boat material.
I used it to rize inboard speaker holes, and to rize the CD player remote's hole.
It generates many dust, better to use a mask and use a vacuum cleaner.