PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter

87 Sunsport
12-02-2002, 08:49 AM
There isn't any discussion of fuel filter change in the manual, so I want to make sure I did it right.

Is there a way to take it out without spilling gas all over the bilge? I can barely get my hands down there to pull off the two mounting bolts, are you supposed to take off the fuel lines? I had to disconnect both fuel lines just so I could get the filter and gaskets in, and no way I could have filled it with fuel without dousing the entire boat. Will I have trouble starting with the empty fuel filter canister in the spring?

It's 20 degree here, I couldn't run a hose if I wanted to. If I reattach the battery and just turn the key on will the pump fill the filter, and will that show any leaks?

GOGO
02-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Good questions I am wondering to. I have yet to attempt this its next on my list.
I have the same boat also.

fitz
02-07-2003, 06:14 PM
when replacing filters [fuel/oil] use an empty anifreeze container and cut a rectangular opening on one side to catch any drippings its slender profile makes it the best cheap catcher i've found about checking for fuel leaks the fuel pump will only operate in key on engine off mode if you have an electric fuel pump i e fuel injection with a mechanical pump you must start the engine hope this helps

mw
09-16-2003, 12:25 AM
if your filter is mechanical, simply unscrew the bottom half of the housing and pull the old filter off the shaft and put the new one on. By looking at the new filter, you'll see how the old one will come out. You'll probably spill a little gas in the process so put a towel under the work area