PDA

View Full Version : Supra bogging down at 2400 rpm

HariSeldon
09-02-2013, 09:09 PM
I have 95 supra with the Ford 5.8L protec engine. It is electronic fuel injection. It runs great up to about 2400 rpm and then it sputters and groans and it will not accelerate. Once in a while it works perfectly and this problem never occurs in neutral. I have had this issue for a few years and I cannot seem to get it fixed. I have done the following:
Replaced the fuel (just in case there was water in the tank)
Repaced fuel lines, fuel pumps, fuel filters
Replaced all sensors
Replaced spark plugs

Please help. All suggestions welcome.
Hari

92SupraComp
09-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Sorry dude. Its the protec ignition module. The coil packs on the back of the motor is the protec, and it causes this. Its gooing into "limp home" mode. There is an oil switch and a temp switch, not senders, switches. Unhook them and tape the wires and see if this helps.

HariSeldon
09-02-2013, 10:32 PM
How about changing the ignition module?

92SupraComp
09-03-2013, 08:58 AM
you cant. The coil pack is the module. Its all in one. Most people, just pitch it and get the conversion. :( Dont even give the pro tec a chance. I have hunted down a few people on ccfan who might be ditching the pro tec and I am going to try and get it from them before they throw it away. For testing, like I said, disconnect the 2 switches and see if it makes a difference.

HariSeldon
09-03-2013, 10:56 AM
I'll give it a try. Thank you sooooooooooooo much!
Hari

HariSeldon
09-08-2013, 08:28 PM
I pulled the wire off of the temperature switch and the motor now roars. I cannot believe it was that simple. The boat was awesome all weekend. Thank you 92!

92SupraComp
09-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Glad to hear :D

You can still order new oil & temp switches... But, if your gauges work fine then its no different then the older motors running a regular dizzy...