PDA

View Full Version : What do you notice about these pictures?

haugy
09-03-2013, 03:40 PM
I'm not saying a word, please look, and tell me what you see that is different.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/P1050349.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/IMG_20130831_210823_340_zps0ba74406.jpg

92SupraComp
09-03-2013, 03:43 PM
your rooster isnt balanced in either photo?

Plow vs planed off?

cadunkle
09-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Center seat step vs cusion, or cushion missing in the first. Center part of seat back not straight in second pic (maybe). Angle of pictures different. Seat bases may be raised in first pic (more storage/ballast room?) as the seat backs look shorter. If that's the case, the center cushion may in fact be present in that pictures. First pic either real fuzzy or possibly differences in piping on seats. How about pictures in daylight with a real camera, difficult to pick out all the differences with cell phone night pictures.

Sdc77
09-03-2013, 03:49 PM
It's a Maria ? Blue leds temperature seems 470nm ?
It's a Saltare ? Blue temp seems 450nm (more dark) ?

haugy
09-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Okay, that was a bad idea. :D :D

Focus on the stern lights.

cadunkle
09-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Jeez, I was ignoring the lights as different ambient light and angles affect it from one pic to the next. Anyhow, first pic seems brighter and more focused center of stern. Second pic seems darker and more diffused/evenly spread. Hard to tell due to different ambient lighting and first pic is not as wide of an angle, so I believe most responses regarding transom lights will be quite subjective.

Jetlink
09-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Okay, that was a bad idea. :D :D

Focus on the stern lights.

There is a unicorn surfing in the shadows of your wake on the second pic and the LEDs are not properly illuminating it.

haugy
09-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Jeez, I was ignoring the lights as different ambient light and angles affect it from one pic to the next. Anyhow, first pic seems brighter and more focused center of stern. Second pic seems darker and more diffused/evenly spread. Hard to tell due to different ambient lighting and first pic is not as wide of an angle, so I believe most responses regarding transom lights will be quite subjective.

Oy Vai. LOOK AT THE COLOR OF THE LIGHTS.

SDC has it. When I look at these two lights I see two very distinct colors. Forget the beam angle pattern and angle of the picture. They were both taken with an android phone while going 30mph. Not exactly professional grade.

First pic is from my Mariah, second from my Saltare. Both lights are supposed to be exactly the same. Shadow Caster's Bimini Blue. But my Salt looks more like their "Ultra Blue".

Sdc77
09-03-2013, 05:17 PM
I win :)
What's my prize ?

Do you took both pictures on the same lake/water ? Maybe one water is darkest than the other, because of deepness or algue saturation or anything else ?
I ask because I see many of american videos on brown water. The water in the river where I ride seems green. It can explain color difference ?
And also, how many hours had your led when you took pics ? Maybe it looses °K when it has many hours ?

cadunkle
09-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Good point, if pics were not taken around the same time water clarity could play a big part in the color/hue and brightness as well as how the light diffuses. Water clarity can vary a lot on the same body of water from year to year or even just after a period of heavy rain.

haugy
09-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Same body of water, and same color. It only changes to brown when it rains and it hasn't rained in over a week. I thought that too, but the color variation is way to strong. I could get dimmer and less powerful, but the color temp from one to the other is way too noticeable. That's what made me prompt to take the picture, on 2 different lakes I was getting the same effect, darker, less powerful light. There is a marina about an hour from here with 25 of these Bimini blue lights on it. I'm tempted to tow the boat up there and park next to one of the lights.

92SupraComp
09-03-2013, 08:52 PM
ohhhh, eagal mountain lake in Texas is the nastiest lake I've seen and been in...

Keuka Lake is stunning, such clear water, 80 degrees in the summer, can usually see 10ft down then its too dark...
Sunapee Lake NH is also one of the cleanest lakes too

The only lake that I have seen and been in that is cleaner is Skaneateles Lake, wow, is it clear, but extremely exclusive lake...

DAFF
09-04-2013, 03:12 AM
Pic #1 is much more intense in colour for both the blue and the red. Leaving me to think the issue is camera related WRT exposure. I bet a few minutes with a photo editor and boost the colour in number 2 and they would look the same.

haugy
09-04-2013, 12:21 PM
:D:D:D

I still don't think y'all get it. I ordered lights that look like the top picture, and I have lights that are the bottom instead. Not a happy camper for what I paid. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't insane. There is a major difference between the color, and the overall output. In the pic with the Mariah, you can clearly see the rooster tail. On the Saltare you can barely see it. The lights are at the same depth, but here's the kicker. The ones on the saltare are 2.5' CLOSER to the middle of the boat, putting the most light at right there. And it still can't even light up the back. Something is seriously wrong here.

Cusefan78
09-04-2013, 01:52 PM
The bottom picture is how my LEDs looked till I changed the stern light to a blue led. Now they look like the top picture. My guess is they are doing the same to get that much light. Before everyone yells at me I'm on a private lake that has almost zero night boat traffic and no police. I wanted a bright blue wake for night skiing.

haugy
09-04-2013, 02:55 PM
I think you're missing the point. Neither boats had these lights on them. I bought and paid for two identical light systems, one in each boat. They should be identical in color.

Sdc77
09-04-2013, 03:06 PM
As they sell both blue and royal blue, you should send them an email with pics. And ask why ?
And maybe ask for the right model. Is it made in USA or in china ?
It can explain the color difference. I agree with you, there is a big color difference ...

haugy
09-04-2013, 03:29 PM
They are made in USA (supposedly) :D. I sent them an email, haven't heard back.

I work in a company that designs high intensity LED systems. I'm seeing if our Spectrum analyzer and goniometer can do something with them to get a color reading. Problem is, it's really hard to back a boat into our engineering lab. :D

Sdc77
09-04-2013, 04:01 PM
You work for a company that build LEDs and you didn't build your own underwater led !?!?
Shame on you !!!

haugy
09-04-2013, 05:10 PM
The ones we make would melt the back off my boat and require specialty capacitors. We aren't talking about things that light up 50ft. They can be seen from about 5 miles. :D

Trust me I looked at it, but the amount of heat dissipating aluminum and custom design would cost more than the ones I bought. If we put our LEDS into your little pocket design, after about 5 minutes it would be melted plastic. :D

5akman
09-04-2013, 06:21 PM
I think the mermaid looks better in the first picture.

Jetlink
09-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Problem is, it's really hard to back a boat into our engineering lab. :D

Is there a fork lift around the shop? Put a ball in one of the forks, makes maneuvering so much easier like when I use the hitch on the front of my Denali to move the boat in and out of tight spots.

haugy
09-05-2013, 10:06 AM
The entrance to the lab is down a hallway in our building, and the big door at the back is only about 6' wide for forklifts. By being "really hard" I mean impossible. :D

How many people went back and looked for a mermaid? Raise your hand Jetlink.

Jetlink
09-05-2013, 10:36 AM
The entrance to the lab is down a hallway in our building, and the big door at the back is only about 6' wide for forklifts. By being "really hard" I mean impossible. :D

How many people went back and looked for a mermaid? Raise your hand Jetlink.

Well then if it is impossible, state that from the get go... And nope, I didn't go back to look... In fact, what were we originally talking about? I forgot everything on page 1 and 2 of this thread.

DAFF
09-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Sounds like a good cover shoot..... LED's so bright they attract scantly clad mermaids

gracydais
09-06-2013, 05:59 AM
Sounds like a good cover shoot..... LED's so bright they attract scantly clad mermaids

Don't forget to shoot mermaid too when they come over your boat.

haugy
09-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Nah it's cool, my boat has a Narwhal on the front to skewer the mermaid when they get close.

Jetlink
09-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Nah it's cool, my boat has a Narwhal on the front to skewer the mermaid when they get close.

Post of the night for me...:p