PDA

View Full Version : Purchased an 84' Supra Rider

84suprarider
09-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Hello all new to these forms as well as inboards. I have a few questions, first of all I purchased an 84 supra rider for a very very good price. The interior is perfect, it appears that the floors are solid, but I do have an issue where the motor mounts. They are completely shot. On one side the motor mounts are completely through the stringers and the other it is getting there, because of this I have no real good dimensions of the stringer size of where the motor mounts. Does anyone know how high that stringer has to be to be properly rigged? t13068130691307013071

DAFF
09-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Do search on the stringer replacement, many have done it and so will you. My advice is to pull the cap off the boat and do it properly, might take the winter but by the look of it the boat deserves it. The riders are a classic and still worth some dough when complete.

ngavchris
09-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the forum. Gorgeous boat!! You will have to pull the floors to redo those stringers. It is well worth the expense. I was pulled around the lake this past weekend by an 83' rider. Nice boats.

villain
09-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the meeting place for the addiction! The only cure is more. A stringer job isn't that bad. Just take it one step at a time. I know looking at it now it seems overwhelming, but I have done a few and its really simple if you go step by step.

chris young
09-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Here's a place to get you started https://suprarider.shutterfly.com/pictures/5 probably the best picture documentation of a full rebuild of one of these boats.

I too have an 84 Rider and this forum is the place to get advice everyone here will help if they can.

I'm of the opinion that if the floors are solid leave well enough alone, I know this is heresy here, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort to redo the stringers, I guess it depends on how much time/money you have. If you put brand new stringers in for the motor, with a boat that looks as well cared for as that one you'll get heaps of fun out of it without pulling off the cap. Your floor may be solid because it's been replaced, but the stringers would not have been done because the engine stringers were not done. My floor is solid too, but that's because someone just put a new one in over the old one, I'm going to pull it all up one of these days but it's good enough for skiing for now.

Is the swim platform mounting solid? If you want to use the boat for skiing, you'll want to fix that up, it's not a big job if you just want to get it solid but it does require pulling the gas tank, I think the whole job took me a day, and it's a good way to get a feel for how much rot you really have without pulling up the floor.

If you don't mind, what did you pay for it?

And yes, they're a good ski boat (that's why I bought mine)

Welcome to the group.

84suprarider
09-06-2013, 11:22 AM
I paid 700 for the boat and trailer. It was a deal I dont think anyone could pass on. It even came with a great condition snap cover. I might just do a temporary stringer replacement under the motor then do a full overhaul over the winter

84suprarider
09-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Also it appears that the dimension from the hull to the motor mount top is 5" can anyone confirm this.

chris young
09-07-2013, 11:08 AM
I won't be back to my boat for a week or so, so I can't measure for you, but, if you take a straight edge from the ends where the stringer is undisturbed you should be close enough to bed in your new stringers. The dimension isn't super critical because you've got adjustment in the motor mounts. When you drop the motor back in make sure you align it correctly. There's a really good video explaining the whole process on you tube, I'll see if I can dig it up, I think it's on the correct craft forum.

Wow, I'd give you 700 just for the trailer. I thought I was getting a good deal and I paid 2200 for mine, no trailer, and your interior is in far better shape than mine. Way to go! Too bad about the motor mounts though. Hopefully the engine and tranny are in good working order.

Moor
09-09-2013, 05:45 PM
I paid 700 for the boat and trailer. It was a deal I dont think anyone could pass on. It even came with a great condition snap cover. I might just do a temporary stringer replacement under the motor then do a full overhaul over the winter

$700??? thats a steal!!! Nice looking boat, do the right thing and pull the cap off, and redo the stringers and floor. I wish i could find a project like that for $700..... Welcome to the forum. Your in the right place, theres a lot of collective knowledge here.

84suprarider
03-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Just wanted to give an update to everyone. I replaced the stringers in the engine bay with pressure treated 4x4s and glassed them in place. The rest of the stringers and floor are decent. I will most likely replace them in fall/winter of 2014/2015. I have attached some more pictures of it. I am getting ready to wet sand the hull soon to bring its shine back. Also does anyone know where to get replacement decals? Or any ideas for replacing the oddly colored stripe? 137731377413775

Cusefan78
03-11-2014, 06:02 PM
If you get the dimensions any vinyl sign place in your area can make them up for you. You can also order them online but you'll pay for them. If you do a search on here there's a guy that will draw up new decals all you have to do is bring the file to a sign company.

cadunkle
03-12-2014, 08:47 AM
I know most guys avoid using pressure treated because of the wetness, difficulty bonding and delamination issues. If your repair seems to have bonded fine I'm sure you're fine for a season before doing the whole thing though. Looks like a great deal for $700!

84suprarider
03-27-2014, 01:42 PM
It was a great deal! I don't see any delimitation issues thus far, I used West System epoxy. I can't wait to take it out this season.

Zim
04-03-2014, 04:12 PM
For the decals, try this guy. He does a lot of decals for the MC guys:

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?15958-Supra-swag

Nickb6
03-06-2017, 12:59 AM
I am looking at an '83 Rider for sale on Craigslist. Asking $8,000. Anything I should look for or be concerned about on the boat ? Is that a fair price ?

MJHKnox
03-06-2017, 11:42 PM
I am looking at an '83 Rider for sale on Craigslist. Asking $8,000. Anything I should look for or be concerned about on the boat ? Is that a fair price ?
What are you getting for 8k?
W/trailer?
Motor redone?
Stringer or transom work?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Nickb6
01-09-2018, 05:27 PM
It’s an ‘83 Rider w/wrap. Ariel wake tower. Original trailer. Original interior. Stereo system w/tower speakers. Think it’s the original motor, had a tune up. No stringer or transom work that he knew of.

scottschmitt
01-09-2018, 06:43 PM
8k sounds like a lot for an '83 with the original floor. This is usually more in the 4-6k range, but maybe it is in mint condition. Know that this floor is made of 2x4's and plywood. It usually gets soft after 30 years of drippy wet kids climbing in and out of the back of the boat. It costs ~5k to replace the floor. You can walk the floor and look for soft spots. The motor mounts are in the 2x4's. If they rot and get loose, you have a real issue. If it makes you feel better, you can tap on the wood with the motor mounts to get a sense of whether they are solid or not. Maybe the floor is great and the engine is solid. A wrap, tower, and a stereo should only modestly impact the price of the boat. The issue is mostly how much will it cost you to keep this boat on the water.

Mischief IV
01-09-2018, 06:48 PM
It’s an ‘83 Rider w/wrap. Ariel wake tower. Original trailer. Original interior. Stereo system w/tower speakers. Think it’s the original motor, had a tune up. No stringer or transom work that he knew of.

Did you buy it? Or still for sale? DO NOT PURCHASE FOR $8K if it has original stringers. Not sure it would be worth $8k after stringers are repaired. It's 35 years old at this point and if they haven't been done, it's just a matter of time. Run don't walk unless you want a project boat.

Cooose
01-09-2018, 10:04 PM
Did you buy it? Or still for sale? DO NOT PURCHASE FOR $8K if it has original stringers.

Couldn't agree more, an $8k boat with original stringers will turn into a $14k boat really quick. Go shop ~ $15k ready to run boats and just make sure the Rider you are looking at tops everything else you can find.

Sight unseen and based on the description alone, I would probably go ~2500, maybe less if you are not diy / mechanically inclined.

Cooose
01-09-2018, 10:20 PM
For comparison, there's an 84 rider in Waterloo IA for 5k which is essentially what you are describing.

Nickb6
01-16-2018, 12:04 AM
I bought the boat last summer. Didn’t pay 8k. Floor is solid everywhere except for 1 spot where someone put in a trap door for the battery right in front of the ski pole. Motor mounts seem solid. Engine ran good. I replaced some components last summer but nothing major.

Mischief IV
01-16-2018, 01:12 AM
I bought the boat last summer. Didn’t pay 8k. Floor is solid everywhere except for 1 spot where someone put in a trap door for the battery right in front of the ski pole. Motor mounts seem solid. Engine ran good. I replaced some components last summer but nothing major.

Well, my comments were too late then, but glad you didn't pay $8k...hope you paid a lot less.

Welcome to the '83 Rider club. It's more like a grumpy old mens club for me now so enjoy it while you can. Congrats!

Battery should be on the port side underneath glove box. Is there even room in front of the ski pole before the play pen seating? That location makes no sense.