PDA

View Full Version : Weighting my Sunsport for WAKEBOARDING

trayson
09-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Okay, there's been so much talk and enthusiasm about how to weight boats for surfing, that I've never played around with weighting my boat for wakeboarding.

I'll start off by saying that I'm okay. I can wake to wake every time, no problem. Sometimes throw in a grab or two. Do some butter slides and pop a toeside 180 into the middle of the wake. That's pretty much my arsenal of tricks.

I've been riding my 92 Sunsport Direct Drive at 20.5 mph with about 250 pounds in my under the rear seat tube sack and the line at 60 feet.

That gets me this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UvozaiThJEI/UdSYRghMkjI/AAAAAAAAORU/RKVr1VVbs5g/s800/IMG954484.jpg

So, in addition to the 250 under the rear seat, I have the following at my disposal:

370 pound tube sack
750 pound fat sack
150 pound smaller sack

So, what should I do to give myself a bit more "fun" on the wakeboard side?

kvand347
09-13-2013, 12:25 PM
I'd try this: wake plate 3/4 up, 750 centered on rear bench, 350 centered up front, 150 where you need balance, 250 filled under bench.

I run both my 540's on either side of the doghouse, one 350 up front, and one 350 either in ski locker or on bench.

86 century
09-16-2013, 02:51 AM
I found in our bravura that 400 on each side of the eng and 800 in the nose made it real easy at 19mph for me to face plant at will.

In the new to us Möbius v its 1100 in each rear locker an 800 in the basement and a 400 as far forward as it will go in the nose at 19mph.
Make a wake big enough for me to make a perfect 1 point landing on my head trying to do a back roll. My neck still hurts a little.

trayson
09-16-2013, 09:18 PM
^^^^^^^^ LOLz

Zim
11-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Weighting for wakeboarding needs to just be balanced. Keep a 60/40 distribution as a baseline. 60% rear, 40% front. The biggest thing is you need to make the port to starboard weight identicle for clean wakes on either side. If one side is washed out, you need to have people move around in the boat to even things out. Besides keeping things even, the more weight you have, the more water you're displacing, and the bigger the waves going to be. Have you upgraded your prop for surfing?

trayson
11-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Have you upgraded your prop for surfing?

I have a 13 x 11.5 prop. One step away from the most aggressive "surf prop" that I could have.

Lovell
09-28-2016, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the idea, I'll try and give this setup a try next time I'm out on the water.

michael hunter
10-01-2016, 07:52 AM
trayson
Why doe's it say your 92 Sunsport is sold ? How has that Ecoboost been any problems yet?

trayson
10-01-2016, 12:57 PM
trayson
Why doe's it say your 92 Sunsport is sold ? How has that Ecoboost been any problems yet?

Because the when I had the opportunity to get the Moomba XLV, I jumped at it and sold the Sunsport 2 years ago. Honestly, the XLV is so much better of a fit for my needs, that I don't really miss much about the Sunsport. It was a phenomenal starter boat for me though.

The Ecoboost has been a great truck. on the engine, we have only had 1 issue where it had that studdering and loss of power that many of them were prone to under wet conditions with a hard change in acceleration. The dealer did a software upgrade, and I honestly don't know if that fixed it or if we're just not driving it in really wet conditions where we'd slam on the gas to pass someone.

I don't like the fact that it's got an electric power steering motor. Had to have the whole steering rack replaced (under warranty). It might have been exacerbated by the fact that whoever installed the lift either omitted or removed the steering stops. I've since put them back in to spec to hopefully prevent any overextension of the steering rack. But overall, it's a fantastic truck. the power and luxury are totally on point and it looks pretty badass. It's the wife's daily driver and she loves it.