PDA

View Full Version : To un-plug or not to un-plug, that is the question...

trayson
09-11-2013, 06:13 PM
So, here's an easy one. Tell me about your "plug" habbits.

At the beginning of the season, I would religiously take the center bilge plug out after a day on the water, and I would put it back in before dropping the boat down the ramp. Not surprisingly I had two times when I forgot to throw it back in and realized this just after dropping the trailer into the water.

For the second half of the season I've just left the center plug in. The bilge pump is Automatic and I leave my batteries on float chargers when I'm not using the boat...

I've only ever removed the rear plug once, when I was trying to clean out the bilge some, and I found it not only ineffective for draining anything out of a level boat, but I also had my friend lose it on that one time I had it out.

So, for those of you that trailer your boat each time you use it, what do you do with your plug(s) and why??

Smitty75
09-11-2013, 06:41 PM
I only have the rear plug, but pull it
Out every time I leave the dock. Just leave it and a small wrench in my door panel so I don't forget about it.

I knew a guy who left his in when his boat was in a storage lot before a big storm. Even though it was covered, it filled up and submerged the engine because of the angle it was on.

trayson
09-11-2013, 06:48 PM
I only have the rear plug, but pull it
Out every time I leave the dock. Just leave it and a small wrench in my door panel so I don't forget about it.

I knew a guy who left his in when his boat was in a storage lot before a big storm. Even though it was covered, it filled up and submerged the engine because of the angle it was on.

I could see that. When I first got my boat, I left the plug in and after a big rain, I had a few inches of water in the bilge. (water getting through my cover). But that's because I was turning the Perko switch to OFF and killing power to the auto bilge pump.

villain
09-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Put it In in the spring time so you don't forget to put it in every time, and pull it and put it in a ziplock bag with the keys zip tied to the steering wheel. This way you don't loose the keys or the plug over the winter, it reminds you to put the plug back in in the spring. This is what we do at the shop. It also a sign to let us know the owners used there boat before we de winterized the boat.

Jetlink
09-11-2013, 10:59 PM
On the trailer or on the lift, center plug comes out when it is not in the water. We have established a routine where before every outing, lift the dog house and among other things to check, grab the center plug from the top of the manifold and install it. Pull it at the end of the day when in the lift or when going back on the trailer and toss it back on the manifold. Never moves and is always part of the pre launching check. I hate water in the bilge, especially with a wood stringer boat.

haugy
09-11-2013, 11:01 PM
You should be checking your engine before starting it up anyways, so that's a good time to put it back in. And as someone else mentioned, if you are exposing your boat to the elements, definitely pull the plug.

I pull mine all the time.

Jetlink
09-11-2013, 11:07 PM
You should be checking your engine before starting it up anyways, so that's a good time to put it back in. And as someone else mentioned, if you are exposing your boat to the elements, definitely pull the plug.

I pull mine all the time.

So, what we can take away from this is, "When in doubt, pull it out." Right Haugy? :p

92SupraComp
09-11-2013, 11:45 PM
always pull the plug when on the trailer. My grandmas boat (1989 CC Martinique Closed Bow) only has like 400 hours. But prob has rotten stringers... Reason being, it doesnt have a full weather cover, only a light duty snap on, it gets left out on the trailer often at the start and end of the season with the plug in unless me and my dad do it. Every time someone else did, the boat would be FULL of water, up to the floor! Had to replace the starter last year due to the original being flooded and it blew up inside... Martinique's are the biggest PITA plug ever, directly under the oil pan, have to get on starboard floor, lay down, and reach with left arm to get to plug...

Our boats, we pull the plug every time they get put on the lift or the trailer, pretty religiously too :P Especially for our CC, a 3,000lb DRY weight boat on a 3,000lb Boat lift...

tg0824SSVGG
09-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Here in Colorado, and in Utah, the 2 places I boat - it's required to remove the plugs (I only have the rear) - they check when you arrive and when you leave.
Dang Zebra mussels have changed a lot of things.

2500HD
09-12-2013, 07:58 AM
Here in Colorado, and in Utah, the 2 places I boat - it's required to remove the plugs (I only have the rear) - they check when you arrive and when you leave.
Dang Zebra mussels have changed a lot of things.
Their checking ballast bags as well over here.

cadunkle
09-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Both center and rear plugs come out any time the boat is not in the water. I trailer and it's just part of my routine. I've never forgot a plug, never forgot a strap. My boat stays outside under cover, during a heavy rain some water can find it's way in and there's always a small chance of cover tearing or coming loose allowing water in. If that happens I want it to drain as quickly as possibly and not flood the bilge and potentially soak my stringers. I do also leave my perko switch engaged to deep cycle battery so bilge can work, though starting battery stays off while boat is out of the water.

My typical routine:
Load gear in boat
Get in the boat
Arrange gear out of the way
Grab the bag with my plugs
Put rear plug on port side rearmost cup holder
Install center plug
Quick visual on engine/trans/hoses that nothing is amiss
Get out of boat
Install rear plug

---Friends may or may not do the following steps while I am doing plugs
Remove transom tie downs and place under starboard rear seat
Retrieve dock lines from under starboard rear seat
Attach dock lines to appropriate side of boat
Attach fenders to rails if I'll need them

Quick walk around to verify transom straps removed and rear plug in
Back trailer into water
Start engine
Lift dog house verify no water in bilge and no leaking hoses

2500HD
09-12-2013, 08:57 AM
That's not a routine that's a regimen! I just put my rear plug on the drivers seat, that way i always see it. My boat stays in my shop so i never use the bilge plug.

haugy
09-12-2013, 09:46 AM
So, what we can take away from this is, "When in doubt, pull it out." Right Haugy? :p

Apparently not as I'm expecting any second now.

I never ever pull center plug. Pull rear plug leaving ramp everytime as I use my built-in cooler constantly. A few of the hills I have to climb on the way home take care of any water. I also jack boat up and drain once it enters garage along with circulating fans to dry any additional moisture.

I always did the center plug so that if forgotten it can be put in easily. Plus if I drop it, then it's right there. If I drop the rear plug while trying to put it in, I have to scramble for the spare.

Both center and rear plugs come out any time the boat is not in the water. I trailer and it's just part of my routine. I've never forgot a plug, never forgot a strap. My boat stays outside under cover, during a heavy rain some water can find it's way in and there's always a small chance of cover tearing or coming loose allowing water in. If that happens I want it to drain as quickly as possibly and not flood the bilge and potentially soak my stringers. I do also leave my perko switch engaged to deep cycle battery so bilge can work, though starting battery stays off while boat is out of the water.

My typical routine:
Load gear in boat
Get in the boat
Arrange gear out of the way
Grab the bag with my plugs
Put rear plug on port side rearmost cup holder
Install center plug
Quick visual on engine/trans/hoses that nothing is amiss
Get out of boat
Install rear plug

---Friends may or may not do the following steps while I am doing plugs
Remove transom tie downs and place under starboard rear seat
Retrieve dock lines from under starboard rear seat
Attach dock lines to appropriate side of boat
Attach fenders to rails if I'll need them

Quick walk around to verify transom straps removed and rear plug in
Back trailer into water
Start engine
Lift dog house verify no water in bilge and no leaking hoses

I bet you're loads of fun at parties. :D

Boat long enough slick, and you will forget your plug at some point. It happens. It's not a big deal, but it happens. Kind of like running aground. Boat long enough, and you will eventually.

wotan2525
09-12-2013, 10:27 AM
You'll get yourself a fat fine around here if you don't pull your plug. Zebra Mussels and other invasive species. Just pull it.....

Cusefan78
09-12-2013, 10:37 AM
I only have a center plug on my labrisa my boats in the water all season other then for a day once a month to clean and wax it. Any tips on getting the water out of the bilge when I pull it for the year. I'm thinking shop vac. My boat stays on my island during the off season. I pull it out and winterize it right on shore.

villain
09-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Use a bilge bailing sponge.

92SupraComp
09-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Whats wrong with zebra muscles? They dont grow in high traffic ares such as beaches, and really help to clean the water up! Keuka has many zebra muscles and sea weed and the lake is so crystal clear. Sad that it is far better water than what many people on this planet drink...

Lake Sunapee is also very clean but does not have zebra muscles. Also, its illegal to release a rock bass as well... They kinda strict-ish about your boat, but they don't do an extensive search. If its been at the lake and only that lake, your fine. If it got washed out before coming there, your fine...

wotan2525
09-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Whats wrong with zebra muscles?

This is what they do to docks and boats that are left in the water.

http://i.imgur.com/KGUxrLh.jpg

Blackntan90
09-12-2013, 07:34 PM
I too have a ritual that includes placing both plugs in the starboard walk-through storage compartment. There are 2 small bins in there that are not really big enough for anything else. I always disconnect the battery before leaving the ramp, and check oil and general engine trans area before leaving the trailer. I have forgotten the plugs once or twice- if you boat long enough...

92SupraComp
09-12-2013, 10:54 PM
This is what they do to docks and boats that are left in the water.

http://i.imgur.com/KGUxrLh.jpg

Whoa! They dont do anything like that here on keuka! people leave their boats in the water and they just that nasty stain/growth of stuff... No zebra muscles tho! wow...