PDA

View Full Version : transmission problems

Indiana Rob
09-12-2013, 10:02 AM
We are proud owners of a 85 TS6M, this boat has been perfect since we purchased it 4 years ago. Up until this week we was out running approx 10 mph, when I decided to give it some gas, then...nothing, the motor did rev up but the prop completely stopped then we started hearing what sounded like gears trying to engage but could not. (sounded like a ten speed that was caught between gears. So there we was first time in 4 years (very good string of luck) we had to be pulled in to shore.

Our marina is telling us that there is a "plate between the motor and the transmission, and that behind that plate are springs" and they believe the springs have broken and to fix it they have to pull the motor. My thought is that if I have to pull the motor I might as well make sure the trans and motor are perfect before putting everything back together.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any input of idea's are welcome.
Thank you all.
Rob

crystal waters
09-12-2013, 10:07 AM
replaced mine last year.plate and springs and you dont have to "pull " the motor.
there is a posting here on this--go to the upper right of your screen to the advanced search section and type in damper plate repair or flex plate repair .
it is all there!

Indiana Rob
09-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Thank you , I am looking into the post you mentioned.

crystal waters
09-12-2013, 10:09 AM
type in at the advanced search box to right "fly damper plate replacement"
it is all ther including pics

wotan2525
09-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Also -- Be sure to check your fluid level before you do anything. It's possible that you are losing fluid which would cause a very similar issue.

Cusefan78
09-12-2013, 10:46 AM
That plate in not that bad of job. No need to pull the motor. Pull the tranny and the bell housing. You're going to have to lift the back of the motor a few inches to get the tranny out. I used a come along with a chain wrapped around the back of the tranny and the other end attached to the ski pole. Worked like a charm.

Does it sound like the boat is cavitating. If it does it could be the forward clutch plates. If they haven't been changed in a while I would change them while you have it apart. Not a huge deal and I wrote up how to do it a month ago. Search for tranny problem.

awesomesteven
09-12-2013, 01:46 PM
That plate in not that bad of job.

Haha. It SHOULDN'T be that bad of a job. I had a HORRIBLE time with mine - completely rusted on. But, I agree. Fairly simple task and shouldn't really take that long.

csuggs also has a great write up for the damper plate replacement.

mr.jrc
09-12-2013, 02:29 PM
I found the PB catalyst is great at liberating rusty stuff. Can be found at mot auto parts stores.

Indiana Rob
09-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Thank you all for your input. I plan on pulling my Supra into the garage this week to start the process.

trayson
09-16-2013, 01:15 PM
If you want to make reinstallation of the damper plate easier, get a brass pilot bearing so that you can use either a clutch alignment tool or a universal pilot tool. Makes centering the damper plate on the flywheel super easy and the tranny will just slide right on perfect.