PDA

View Full Version : Boat covers

Cusefan78
09-12-2013, 10:42 AM
So my season is almost over. I'm going to be pulling my labrisa out in early October. In the mean time I want some ideas on a good cover for the winter. I'm in the north east so it's cold and snow. I'm thinking about buying a heat gun and shrink wrapping it myself or buying a good cover any suggestions on either. This is probably going to be a one or two year deal. I'm buying a piece of mainland property this fall with intentions of building a garage to store the boats in during the winter. In the past we have pulled them out on the island and covered them with blue tarps. Not really a fan of them though.

crystal waters
09-13-2013, 09:52 AM
winterize it of course--ensure you drain everything!!!! ---and that boat is dry inside. remove all upholstery that you can and then shrink wrap it.
Given that it is only for a year or two ---shrink wrap would be my choice.

Cusefan78
09-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Would you get a heat gun or use The weed torch. I already have one of those.

suprasam
09-16-2013, 04:58 PM
I would say go with the shrink wrap......you can DYI and buy it, but after looking at the cost for everything (wrap,tape, spray adhesive) it doesn't look to be that much cheaper than having a local shop do it. Plus, with the average paint store heat gun.......that is gonna take a long long time. Good luck

mabbore
09-16-2013, 05:16 PM
I have shrink wrapped before and was tempted with buying an actual shrink wrap gun for ~$400, but got the $15 harbor freight one instead. Its not quite nice or as accurate but it works. The trick is to get the cover as tight as you can when you tuck it under the belly band. That was there is less to shrink.

Cusefan78
09-16-2013, 05:16 PM
I would love to take it to a shop but its on an island on a land locked lake till I can build a ramp and barn on my new mainland property so I'm diying it till at the very earliest next year. I have read and talked to a bunch of people about shrink wrapping and most marinas around me use the weed torches. I'm on the fence about buying an expensive gun of its only a year or two. I already have a weed torch to use. I'm not a fan of the blue tarp deal. I have had a mouse issue in the past.