PDA

View Full Version : Replacing damper/drive plate

MUNS01
09-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Boat is a 05 21v. How big of an undertaking is this? Does the engine need to be pulled? Any estimate on hours it would take?

Thanks for the help!

CornRickey
09-15-2013, 06:42 PM
fyi, I thought mine was going out on my SN because it was chattering and realized that two of my wires were crossed causing il the engine to miss slightly and allowing the damper to chatter. Make no mistake, I'm sure it's due but I was able to get several more seasons out of it. Just a thought.

MUNS01
09-15-2013, 09:05 PM
I don't know for sure its the damper plate. Basically what happened is this, I upgraded my rear sacs to the 750's and put the 250's that were back there into the bow so with those and the 650 in the ski locker I was running roughly 2500lbs of ballast. I used this set up once, the boat struggled to get onto plane and really had to work hard that day. The next time I had it out my gf was riding, she fell and on my way back to pick her up I reversed to get weeds out of the prop and as I did this I heard the most god awful sound that I can only describe as a tin can getting caught in a fan blade. I shut the boat down, looked it over and found nothing. Fired back up and didn't hear the noise. Continued to pull my rider hoping the noise was just an anomaly. Later I rode with the ballast not quite full, probably around 2200lbs and still no noise issues. After that we were heading back to the marina whilst draining the bags and under way probably at 20ish mph the noise returned. Immediately shut the boat down and looked it over again, and again didn't see anything. So I started it back up and now there is a clicking. Its consistent with the rpm and rises with the rpm. I took it to my local shop ( who doesn't deal with alot of inboard wake boats ) and they thought the noise was somewhere in the engine and thought the engine would have to be torn down to locate the noise. I made a video and on wake world a few guys told me it was probably the damper plate.
Here is a link to said video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tZBoaCqJTw&feature=youtu.be

Any other ideas as to what it could be? A friend of a friend thought maybe it was a bad bearing in the v drive. If it is the damper plate is it ok to continue to run the boat? and with full ballast? and as well as my original question how much work is it to replace the plate?

MUNS01
09-17-2013, 08:25 PM
OK, heres the full story. Recently I upgraded the rear locker bags to the 750's. So with those, the 650 in the locker and the 250's that were in the rear lockers thrown into the bow I was running around 2500lbs of ballast. The first time out with this set up the boat struggled to get on plane, it really had to work but made it onto plane and everything was good. Second time out, no ballast pulling the gf, she falls. I turn to retrieve her and threw boat into reverse to get weeds out of the prop and heard what I can only describe as tin can stuck in a fan blade. I shut the boat down and looked it over but see nothing so I fired it back up and noise is gone. Hoping it was an anomaly I get the gf back up and she continues to ride. Later I fill up the ballast and take a set and everything is fine. Later on way back into marine whilst draining ballast awful tin can in a fan noise returns. Immediately shut down again and look over the engine and again nothing. So I start back up but now there is a ticking noise that is consistent with the rpm and rises with the rpm. I took it to the shop but they don't usually deal with inboards so they weren't sure what it was and thought the engine would need to be torn down to locate the issue. So I posted a video of the engine running on wake world and a few guys thought it would be the damper/ drive plate. Would that amount of ballast and the struggle to get on plane ruin the drive plate? Does it sound like its the drive plate? and again, how much work is it to replace?

I'll make a link to the video

MUNS01
09-17-2013, 08:26 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799759

Link to wake world

MUNS01
09-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Link to youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tZBoaCqJTw&feature=youtu.be

MUNS01
09-17-2013, 08:29 PM
I made a link to the video and wake world but this lovely forum says it needs to be approved before it will show up here. If you want to check out the wake world post search the title " what this noise be "

Jetlink
09-17-2013, 11:13 PM
I made a link to the video and wake world but this lovely forum says it needs to be approved before it will show up here.

After a few more posts you shouldn't run into this issue. We had a bad spam problem and were forced to change a few things around here as a result. In the meantime, I approved your posts.

villain
09-18-2013, 08:31 AM
I would use a mechanics stethoscope to isolate where it is coming from. You can pick up cheep ones from harbor freight for about $6.