PDA

View Full Version : Wet Exhaust Hose replacement procedure?

eatsleepski
09-17-2013, 07:42 PM
What is the best way to remove the wet exhaust hoses on a 1991 Supra Comp TS6M? I have one on the left side outlet of the Silent Rider muffler that is starting to leak and it appears it's virtually impossible to remove just one side with those stiff corrugated hoses. Also, any sources out there for the muffler? thanks for any suggestions and tips on doing this job.

Cusefan78
09-17-2013, 08:45 PM
I broke one of mine when I changed my tranny. It's a pita to get on and off. I finally grabbed my multi tool and cut a slit down it so I could pull it off the manifold. To get it on I spread motor oil on the manifold and inside the the exhaust hose. I then heated the end of the hose and kept pushing on it. To get the last few inches I kept heating and put a board on the end and kept tapping it with a hammer till I got it all the way on. Getting it on the silencer was easy. Slid right on. Be patient and you'll get it. I would change both while your at it. Noticed the inside of the broken one was all dry rotted inside.

92SupraComp
09-17-2013, 09:19 PM
sources for muffler? Not sure what you mean. I have the same setup. What a PITA to do... Just replace all 4 sections... The 2 off the motor of soft wall and easy to do! The bottom outlets MUST be wire reinforced. Its all 3.5", or should be... Do you have the short risers? Also, order wet exhaust hose through SkiDim.com

Cusefan78
09-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Why hoses were super tight I really had to fight them on. The hoses were basically welded on. Yes 3.5".

eatsleepski
09-18-2013, 01:30 AM
sources for muffler? Not sure what you mean. I have the same setup. What a PITA to do... Just replace all 4 sections... The 2 off the motor of soft wall and easy to do! The bottom outlets MUST be wire reinforced. Its all 3.5", or should be... Do you have the short risers? Also, order wet exhaust hose through SkiDim.com

Thanks for the suggestions. I think you included pics on another post of your Supra and mine looks exactly like your exhaust setup. My initial investigation did make this look like a PITA which is why I got on this forum. So now, I do plan to replace all 4 wet exhaust sections at this time since I won't want to tear this apart again. I know about Ski Dim and will order through them. What I meant by sources for the muffler was an exact replacement. Ski Dim didn't list it and my research tells me that the Mfg. doesn't make it anymore, but then I haven't actually picked up the phone. My muffler got a bit overheated once or twice. Thanks again.

eatsleepski
09-18-2013, 01:33 AM
I broke one of mine when I changed my tranny. It's a pita to get on and off. I finally grabbed my multi tool and cut a slit down it so I could pull it off the manifold. To get it on I spread motor oil on the manifold and inside the the exhaust hose. I then heated the end of the hose and kept pushing on it. To get the last few inches I kept heating and put a board on the end and kept tapping it with a hammer till I got it all the way on. Getting it on the silencer was easy. Slid right on. Be patient and you'll get it. I would change both while your at it. Noticed the inside of the broken one was all dry rotted inside.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I did suspect that I'd have to cut them off. I tried to remove the riser but it wouldn't budge. I don't want to get out the big hammer just yet so I'm just going to take it one step at a time and get as much info as I can before I go any further. That's why I joined this web site and posted on this forum. I'll post my results as I get things going.

92SupraComp
09-18-2013, 03:50 PM
DONT REMOVE THE RISER! these are a huge PITA to get to seal right and remove the old gasket... And no, there is no replacement muffler. Is your hollow like mine? Mine has been overheated bad before, but its still in good nick, just hollow...

eatsleepski
09-19-2013, 12:05 PM
DONT REMOVE THE RISER! these are a huge PITA to get to seal right and remove the old gasket... And no, there is no replacement muffler. Is your hollow like mine? Mine has been overheated bad before, but its still in good nick, just hollow...

Thanks for the additional feedback. I started to remove the riser but like I said it wouldn't budge so I just cleaned the bolts and re-torqued them. I don't know what the torque spec is though. I've seen the PCM manual on line somewhere. I'll look for it and post the link if it's not already on this forum. Yes, my muffler got pretty overheated a couple of times when I first bought the boat in '95, mostly because I was a newbie to ski boats and let the impeller blow apart. The only other major issue has been the electronic ignition which used to cut out and miss when the engine got too hot. Maybe one thing led to the other but after checking around I discovered that those ignition systems had problems. Even after I replaced the coil pack/computer module it was better but still had issues. Being an electronic tech and mechanic DIY guy I finally got tired of troubleshooting it and I bought the pointless ignition system from Ski Dim. They know their stuff. No problems since and the boat runs great other than a leaky head gasket or valve cover. This boat has been "in the water" so-to-speak since summer of '95, never winterized. I water ski year round either behind it or other ski buddy's boats. Maybe I'll just find some nice paint for the muffler so it doesn't look so "old." Thanks again for your feedback.

wotan2525
09-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Would their be any downside to just removing/bypassing the muffler (besides a little more noise?)

I doubt the packing accomplishes much anyway at this point and it seems like it would be way easier for you to just delete it and put in straight hoses.

92SupraComp
09-19-2013, 03:09 PM
The hollow muffler gives a completely different sound! A very nice one! With just straight hose it has a whap whap whap of an older boat sound to it. With the hollow muffler, has a deep loud tone, not really valve train noise like straight pipe.... I would do a vid of what mine sounds like but cant with a bent prop shaft :(

Oh, and the boat is louder with the "muffler" than with out ;)

Also, you have the leaky valve cover too? Wierd...

And, what did you do with the Pro Tec??? I am really trying to hunt down a second, for a spare. I want to tear it apart and see what goes bad... And for trouble shooting (I know you dont have it any more) you unhook the temp and oil SWITCH, this cures the problem for many people...

eatsleepski
09-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Would their be any downside to just removing/bypassing the muffler (besides a little more noise?)

I doubt the packing accomplishes much anyway at this point and it seems like it would be way easier for you to just delete it and put in straight hoses.

Good question. Anyone out there know the answer? I guess it's time to go to www.SkiDim.com and ask them what they think. There's eventually got to be a way to upgrade/update. The Big T steering is also an issue and mine has seen better days. It's not just the cable but the pot metal worm gears wear out too. I tried a swapout of the steering once but didn't like it so returned it.

eatsleepski
09-19-2013, 05:25 PM
The hollow muffler gives a completely different sound! A very nice one! With just straight hose it has a whap whap whap of an older boat sound to it. With the hollow muffler, has a deep loud tone, not really valve train noise like straight pipe.... I would do a vid of what mine sounds like but cant with a bent prop shaft :(

Oh, and the boat is louder with the "muffler" than with out ;)

Also, you have the leaky valve cover too? Wierd...

And, what did you do with the Pro Tec??? I am really trying to hunt down a second, for a spare. I want to tear it apart and see what goes bad... And for trouble shooting (I know you dont have it any more) you unhook the temp and oil SWITCH, this cures the problem for many people...

Just a quick reply but yes, I did get rid of it last year. Reportedly it was a bad coil pack inside the unit and to tear it apart requires the expertise of an electronic tech at a workbench. These things are encased in environmentally sealed plastic stuff (I forget the technical name at the moment) but it's a bitch to work on things like that. I did start tearing mine apart. Very messy job. If yours works without the oil & temp switch then that may be another problem on top of mine. Who knows. I saved the damn thing for 6 years and then finally recycled it. Kind of wish I joined this forum sooner but don't know how long it's been going.

Regarding the PROP shaft ... I should start another thread on cumulative problems/mechanical failures just for the record ... maybe someone already has ... but I also had a driveshaft issue once, namely it broke right at the prop while I was skiing and we came to a slow halt. The repair shop that I took it to said it was not that uncommon and they said it was either metal fatigue or a minor imperfection in the steel from when it was made and then after several years just gave out. I have some picks I can post of how it looks at the spot it broke. later ...

eatsleepski
09-22-2013, 09:08 PM
... MUST remove the riser otherwise you'll never get those hoses back on. My problem was NOT the hose but a stress fracture in the muffler right at the top of the exhaust hose which caused a leak but not any worse than the drip-drip you get from your drive shaft packing if you've done it right. I only change the one hose but I now know how to do this. Post a message if you need more info on how to proceed other wise I'll just post a couple of pics and call it good. I do plan to do the other hoses, but also need to remove the exhaust manifold so that I can tighten the valve cover bolt in the center that I couldn't get to. I might add that after 22 years of service (of which I've owned it 18) I'd say this Supra has served me very very well.

chris young
09-23-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm pretty sure my Rider has nothing, straight pipe all the way to the transom, certainly not a muffler like you guys have. The boat is noisy. I'm a peace and quiet kind of guy so in my world I'm trying to install some muffler options rather than remove them. After skiing for 2 weeks behind my boat and going back to the club to ski behind the Nautique, I realized just how noisy the boat is. If you want to know what your muffler is supposed to look like inside I'm pretty sure this is it. http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pages/US5259797-1.png. I'm considering scratch building a composite muffler that looks similar to this on the outside but routes the gasses and water differently. I still have to see if it will fit under the dog house before I go any further.

92SupraComp
09-23-2013, 08:38 PM
ok, guys, if you have an 88 or older YOU DO NOT have the High Flow exhaust! You have the 3" dual independent exhaust.

eatsleepski, you have an actual muffler muffler, yours is setup to actually quiet the noise! My muffler was designed to be a loud "muffler". You have the actual muffler version of my muffler...

Bagar55
09-23-2013, 09:50 PM
You shouldn't have to cut the hoses. If you loosen the hose clamps from the riser and the ones on the hose just under the muffler you should be able to work them free. Yeah they are on there. Almost seem welded on but you can slowly work them and get them off. Use a small flathead screwdriver to get them started. Spray WD 40 in the opening. Use a little bigger flathead and just keep slowly, carefully prying and spraying the under the hose. Keep working the flathead further down where you can. Pull up on muffler and get it to break free from the lower hose. One side then the other. Pull it out with riser hoses coming off with the muffler. You can replace them all from there. Possible to have to cut them off down where the exit the hull.

eatsleepski
09-24-2013, 12:31 PM
You shouldn't have to cut the hoses. If you loosen the hose clamps from the riser and the ones on the hose just under the muffler you should be able to work them free. Yeah they are on there. Almost seem welded on but you can slowly work them and get them off. Use a small flathead screwdriver to get them started. Spray WD 40 in the opening. Use a little bigger flathead and just keep slowly, carefully prying and spraying the under the hose. Keep working the flathead further down where you can. Pull up on muffler and get it to break free from the lower hose. One side then the other. Pull it out with riser hoses coming off with the muffler. You can replace them all from there. Possible to have to cut them off down where the exit the hull.

Thanks for everyone's input. I found it much less work to remove the riser. Like everyone pointed out they are pretty much "welded" in place after several years, or so they seem. After trying to pry the renegade hose off (only to discover the real problem - a hairline fracture in the muffler @ the top of the lower hose), here's what made it easiest for me:

1) loosen all clamps the day before; this allows hoses to "relax" some
2) buy hoses and riser gaskets
3) cut off the lower hose or hoses if your are doing both sides
4) unbolt riser and raise it up gently with a jack; it comes up easily this way; be cautious not to yard on it so the muffler doesn't crack or twist too much on the other end
5) clean off old gasket material
6) pull off and replace the old hose; much less stress and straining on the muffler and me with the riser lifted up.
7) put it all back together

92SupraComp
09-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Bagar55, HA!!!! I wish!!! I tried that for a bout 30 min, screw that! 2 Min later they were off! Thanks to my right angle grinder with a cutting wheel! Just cut them, dont waste your time trying to pry the muffler out, complete waste and plus, your replacing the hoses anyways right??

Bagar55
09-25-2013, 07:42 PM
If I was going to remove to replace them or due to leaking I would have cut them also. If you just need to get the muffler off and out of the way for repairs then WD 40 and a flat head work. I normally get them started, spray WD 40 down in the opening and let it sit overnight. Next day with a little more effort they usually break free pretty easy.
Just trying to help.

Cusefan78
09-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Cutting is the way to go. I tried the screw driver trick after 15 mins of nothing I went with the multi tool and had it off in 2 mins

eatsleepski
09-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Cutting is the way to go. I tried the screw driver trick after 15 mins of nothing I went with the multi tool and had it off in 2 mins

Yes, cutting is the trick to get started on this project. I posted my own step by step process with some pics but I didn't see it posted. Maybe I hit cancel instead of post. The key part of what I did was to loosen ALL the hose clamps and let the rubber hoses "relax" for a day and then remove the riser. That will help make everything much easier and remove the risk of cracking the fiberglass muffler. It was not that difficult to clean off the old gasket and replace with a new one and new bolts too.

Oh, by the way .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSdcdIaQddI&feature=share&list=PLMr7BArNPc2fxyJBuTKitjvSdWGbbIzqg