PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild time!!

csl
09-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Well I have reached that point of no turning back! I am finally going to tackle a rebuild this winter. Our boat has had a few soft spots in floor and motor mounts aren't as tight as they should. I have held off for a year or so longer than I wanted to. We have been taking on water on the drivers side of the boat. The floor on that side will get wet after a while on the lake. So here we go. I have read every one of you're rebuild threads that I can and am actually looking foward to doing this.

I got started tonight and have some serious questions right off the bat. I can't decide if I'm the first one to do stringers on this boat. As you can see in the pictures below, the wood is in good shape. But the fiberglass is not laminated to the wood at all in some places. I ripped the fiberglass off the outside stringer on the drivers side and it is a piece of treated wood. ????? That didn't come from the factory did it? Also, the foam isn't solid, it is just a pile here and a pile there. What do you think I have going on? The driver's side needs redone. The foam was wet from the bottom to about halfway up. and the treated boards are not solid without the fiberglass holding them. But the other side of the boat is dry as can be. The stringers over there are the same wood, but look great. Here are a few pictures. Any feedback would be awesome.

Jetlink
09-17-2013, 11:17 PM
You going to pull the top cap to do the whole thing or try and patch it with the cap on? Also, I haven't even started yet so no clue... What year boat again?

csl
09-18-2013, 07:35 AM
You going to pull the top cap to do the whole thing or try and patch it with the cap on? Also, I haven't even started yet so no clue... What year boat again?

The boat is an 87 sunsport. As for the cap off and all, I'm planning on removing it. I just cut the floor up to investigate what I have going on first.

villain
09-18-2013, 08:13 AM
From the look at the foam it all has been done before.

Salty87
09-18-2013, 09:48 AM
it may have been a learning process. by the time they got to the good side they had the glassing process figured out better. their quality control obviously sucked. the first stringer i glassed got ground back down to wood 'cause it turned out too crappy.

csl
09-18-2013, 10:01 AM
it may have been a learning process. by the time they got to the good side they had the glassing process figured out better. their quality control obviously sucked. the first stringer i glassed got ground back down to wood 'cause it turned out too crappy.

Ha, thats what I was thinking also. What is your opinion on the treated wood as the stringer? I'm not sure I like the idea of treated material for this. If its ok, I may leave some of it and redo the bad ones.

Jetlink
09-18-2013, 11:44 AM
What is your opinion on the treated wood as the stringer? I'm not sure I like the idea of treated material for this. If its ok, I may leave some of it and redo the bad ones.

Depending on your future plans for this particular boat, I would look into using composite materials if you really want to do it right, have it last and never have to do it again. I have spoken with Donny and he has the ability to retro fit composite stringers into these classic hulls for a nominal fee, talking about $1,000 more than to do a wood stringer restoration. If you can find the materials it might be worth it to go that route for yourself if this boat is going to stay in the family for any length of time.

csl
09-18-2013, 01:10 PM
We plan on fixing it right and keeping it around. I own a wood mill shop, so I have doug fir material in stock that I planned on using for the stringers. But after seeing that one side of the boat is still in great shape, I am wondering if it is worth redoing them or leaving them and just doing the rough side. I only want to rip this floor out once, so I want to do it right while im at it.

Jetlink
09-18-2013, 01:23 PM
You answered yourself when you said you wanted to do it right and only rip the floor out once...

csl
09-18-2013, 01:33 PM
You answered yourself when you said you wanted to do it right and only rip the floor out once...

Ha, your like the little voice over my shoulder. I'll keep ripping and see what I find.

TitanTn
09-18-2013, 10:46 PM
I've never seen treated lumber installed by the factory. I'd say you're the second guy in, and you should go the route you're thinking. Pull it out and go with Douglas Fir. The glass will stick better and if you do something to make sure water can't get trapped within the foam (like the factory), then it'll last forever.

csl
09-18-2013, 11:22 PM
I learned more about the prior rebuild tonight as I tore foam out. Whoever rebuilt the stringers, put limber holes in where I plan on putting them. Then after the fact someone drilled holes in the floor and foamed the cavities. The foam was just in piles under the holes in the floor and filled the limber holes shut. If they hadn't done that, I may not be ripping it all out. Some of the wood isn't even covered in fiberglass. Its just treated lumber left exposed. Kinda torqued that they took the time to replace the stringers, but botched it up so bad.

Blackntan90
09-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Honestly, when my time comes to tackle stingers/floor I do not think I will be adding foam. I know that it could save the boat from going to the bottom of the lake, but the air would circulate better and allow the water to escape without the foam getting in the way. I also think limber holes should be as large as possible- more like limber passages. I also am researching how to do a wood free stringer system. Not sure how cost-effective it would be though.

csl
09-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Coming along on the tear out. I have the motor pulled and all the foam out. Will post some pics tonight. I have a question though. Based off of my busy winter ahead of me, I thought I would check out hiring the stringer rebuild out to someone. I have two shops fairly local to me that specialize in boat rebuilding and stringer replacement. They both told me they wouldn't pull the top cap. ???? In fact the one shop said they would charge me more if I brought it to them with the cap off. They strongly opposed it. From reading on here and what I am seeing as I tear it apart, I don't understand how you could do it without pulling cap. What do you all think. I am leaning toward having them do it, but wanted some feedback first. Thanks

TitanTn
09-23-2013, 03:31 PM
My opinion is that it can be done with the cap on, but I don't see how you could do as good of a job. Is the job good enough? - well, apparently these guys think so. I assume that they don't want the cap pulled because then they'd have to worry about sidewall flex and the impact it can have on a square floor (and then getting the cap back on). Although, as you see from other builds on this forum, that's not a big mountain to climb.

Do these guys have a warranty with their work? How long? That might tell the tale of craftsmanship they intend to use.

wotan2525
09-24-2013, 09:45 AM
I did a "hybrid stringer replacement" that didn't involve pulling the top cap. My stringers were solid in front of the drivers seat so I just cut out the old stringers and grafted them in with the new ones.

Now that I know better and have seen others do it, I'd pull the cap and do them all. At the time I wasn't sure how long I'd be keeping the boat.

csl
09-24-2013, 03:18 PM
I did a "hybrid stringer replacement" that didn't involve pulling the top cap. My stringers were solid in front of the drivers seat so I just cut out the old stringers and grafted them in with the new ones.

Now that I know better and have seen others do it, I'd pull the cap and do them all. At the time I wasn't sure how long I'd be keeping the boat.

I hope I'm not making a mistake, but I dropped the boat off at the shop. We checked the stringers up front in the bow and everything is good shape from drivers seat up. They are going to head off the stringers at the drivers seat like you did and replace everything back. They warranty their work and said they have done several this way. If I was doing it myself this winter, I would have done the whole deal, but I don't have the time and I trust him to make a sturdy boat. My stringers actually were still solid wood. No crumbly rot anywhere. The fiberglass was separated from the stringers though and was not very sound anymore.

wotan2525
09-24-2013, 04:06 PM
I hope I'm not making a mistake, but I dropped the boat off at the shop. We checked the stringers up front in the bow and everything is good shape from drivers seat up. They are going to head off the stringers at the drivers seat like you did and replace everything back. They warranty their work and said they have done several this way. If I was doing it myself this winter, I would have done the whole deal, but I don't have the time and I trust him to make a sturdy boat. My stringers actually were still solid wood. No crumbly rot anywhere. The fiberglass was separated from the stringers though and was not very sound anymore.

I suspect you'll be fine. They sound competent -- I would insist on limber holes and foam delete, however. Will they be doing that?

jasun
09-24-2013, 04:32 PM
But if you don't redo it yourself, you dont the satisfaction of this!!!!!!
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/stringerburn_zpscc87fcfb.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/stringerburn_zpscc87fcfb.jpg.html)

csl
09-24-2013, 05:11 PM
I suspect you'll be fine. They sound competent -- I would insist on limber holes and foam delete, however. Will they be doing that?
Yeah, they don't recommend foam and will be adding limber holes. Instead of foam for structure, he will build a grid between the stringers. Also, i asked him to put the floor under the gas tank on a piano hinge so i can open it up to access the pipes and such whenever needed.

csl
09-24-2013, 05:17 PM
But if you don't redo it yourself, you dont the satisfaction of this!!!!!!
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/stringerburn_zpscc87fcfb.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/stringerburn_zpscc87fcfb.jpg.html)

Suprised you weren't doing a dance around that thing. That's some celebration right there. I hate to spend the extra money to have it hired done, but relieved my whole winter won't be consumed with old wood and fiberglass!!

92SupraComp
09-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Well, dont feel too guilty. After all, your paying an AMERICAN to WORK! Cant bitch about that can you? I mean, better than them taking hand outs! We like to do things our selves, because we aren't helpless and its good for us. But, replacing the front door and then the 18 out of 20 windows in our house in the fall, is not something we are going to do. All said and done its $8500 for a fiberglass door, good storm door, and Pella windows and a local guy to remove the old, put in the new, match the trim, and haul away the old. I mean, yeah its more money, but, its going to someone who is working for it! The guy thats doing it came to measure, nice guy, dont feel bad paying to do manual labor... (although, its a bit high, $400 to do the front door!)

csl
10-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Not sure if this will show up, but here is some professional foam removal. He loves this job!
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Supra%20boat/junior.mp4?w=AAD5pebOYbGPcCCC97DcJcmh2D76PX_E8sykz rXwrjc6AA

TitanTn
10-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Not sure if this will show up, but here is some professional foam removal. He loves this job!
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Supra%20boat/junior.mp4?w=AAD5pebOYbGPcCCC97DcJcmh2D76PX_E8sykz rXwrjc6AA

Security won't let me in.

csl
10-14-2013, 01:48 PM
whats the best way to add video? I drug it over from dropbox. It didn't work.

TitanTn
10-14-2013, 02:29 PM
It needs to be a publicly accessible video, and then use the Insert Video tool (looks like a filmstrip icon) to share it on this forum. The video can be on Youtube, Vimeo, Dropbox, wherever, but it can't have security on it.

csl
10-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Lets try this again. I don't promote child labor, but he is looking for more foam to cut!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfd3smzlydj3c88/junior.mp4

TitanTn
10-14-2013, 05:15 PM
That's awesome he's into it! We ARE going to have a discussion about the pace though...

csl
10-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Ha, that was actually over a month ago. Stringers r in and glassed. Fella I hired is waiting on resin to do floor right now.
He has done a few things different than I may have, but I believe he is doing a quality job. Will post some pics tonight.

csl
10-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Here are a few pics of the process. Stringers have since been glassed in and gridwork has been installed between them.