PDA

View Full Version : Who tracks their gas?

trayson
09-18-2013, 12:28 PM
So, I reluctantly added up my gas over the last few months.

2/22 – 3/24 $449 (ski/snowboard season)
3/25 – 4/22 $404 ($100 boat)
4/23 – 5/21 $213
5/22 – 6/23 $512
6/24 – 7/23 $534 (Jeep Jamboree, boat down July 5th to end of period)
7/24 – 8/22 $709
8/23 - Present $704

This does not include the Tow vehicle (which is the Wife's daily driver) but does include normal in town driving of my M3 or my Audi.

The wife's been spending $60 - $75 a week. She just drives to/from work and a few errands, and then tows the boat ~10 miles to the launch.

Jetlink
09-18-2013, 12:59 PM
I run junk yard gas in my boat and all vehicles except for my wife's car.

trayson
09-18-2013, 01:03 PM
I run junk yard gas in my boat and all vehicles except for my wife's car so, I think I'm at $0.00 for the boat, Denali and my car. Spent maybe $60.00 for gas on the bike.

Junk Yard gas? Does that mean you're getting someone else to pay for your fuel?

villain
09-18-2013, 02:22 PM
I run as much free gas as I can when I can. When we drain a boat tank at work its hard to find a place to put 40 gallons. Plus bad boat gas usually makes for good car gas

DAFF
09-18-2013, 04:53 PM
$15000 last year.....

trayson
09-18-2013, 05:03 PM
$15000 last year.....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OKQih2CCqQM/Tb80z6qeICI/AAAAAAAABIs/e1o2fUxA0XQ/s320/jaw-drop.jpg

That's 150% of the cost of my boat...

Moor
09-18-2013, 05:07 PM
I spend about $100 a week for boat fuel. My work provides me with a new car and a fuel card ;) so all my cars get filled for free .

Trayson, how do you like your M3? im picking up a 1997 M3 coupe friday, i can't wait :)

dbatech99
09-18-2013, 05:14 PM
I spend about $100 a week for boat fuel. My work provides me with a new car and a fuel card ;) so all my cars get filled for free .

Trayson, how do you like your M3? im picking up a 1997 M3 coupe friday, i can't wait :)

Wow. Lucky... free gas!

trayson
09-18-2013, 05:17 PM

I love it. it's not the most powerful car by today's standards, but it's very mod friendly and there's so much fun you can have with them. They handle excellent and are certainly "quick" enough to get you into trouble. Mine is modded with the typical array of bolt on's to bring me from the stock 240hp up to around 285 or so. Forced induction would be a blast, but not in my budget. The M3 cabrio was my dream car in college, so when I had the chance to own one I knew it was meant to be. It's hard for me to imagine many other cars that could make me as happy (especially for the price).

Oh, and I remember one day this summer where I burned through over $100 in a DAY. I don't know the exact figure because I couldn't bear to run my card again after the pump stopped at $99.

Jetlink
09-18-2013, 11:33 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OKQih2CCqQM/Tb80z6qeICI/AAAAAAAABIs/e1o2fUxA0XQ/s320/jaw-drop.jpg

That's 150% of the cost of my boat...

You think that is bad, my company gas expenditures can easily top $110,000 in one week. It's just money at that point in time.

trayson
09-19-2013, 11:36 AM
This thread made me think... I had come across a process for a refund of the non-highway fuel in my job... (Yeah, I'm a CPA).

In WA there is a form that you can use to apply for the ability to get a refund on the "off highway" fuel use. I just talked to the Washington State Dept of Revenue and the refund is averaging around $0.10 a gallon. Not a ton, but why should I be paying taxes that go towards road maintenance on the fuel that I use in my boat?? Or better yet, why not get a refund on the boat fuel I use if I'm eligible????

This is the form for WA:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/442071.pdf

I'll be doing this from now on. I just faxed the form in. Makes me wish I saved all the gas reciepts from boat fillups, as I can go 13 months back!

wotan2525
09-19-2013, 01:27 PM
This thread made me think... I had come across a process for a refund of the non-highway fuel in my job... (Yeah, I'm a CPA).

In WA there is a form that you can use to apply for the ability to get a refund on the "off highway" fuel use. I just talked to the Washington State Dept of Revenue and the refund is averaging around $0.10 a gallon. Not a ton, but why should I be paying taxes that go towards road maintenance on the fuel that I use in my boat?? Or better yet, why not get a refund on the boat fuel I use if I'm eligible????

This is the form for WA:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/442071.pdf

I'll be doing this from now on. I just faxed the form in. Makes me wish I saved all the gas reciepts from boat fillups, as I can go 13 months back!

I use ~$100/gas per week in the summer. This works out to $1600/season and my rebate would be a whopping $40. Wahoo!

trayson
09-19-2013, 01:32 PM
I use ~$100/gas per week in the summer. This works out to $1600/season and my rebate would be a whopping $40. Wahoo!

If someone offered you $40 of free beer, would you take it?

Jetlink
09-19-2013, 01:38 PM
If someone offered you $40 of free beer, would you take it?

In my experience though, the added scrutiny that you are bound to attract is not worth it. I used to run my own medium and heavy duty truck and equipment maintenance company and I had to watch which diesel blend I used for each job. If I got caught using non-highway diesel in any of my trucks or anything that saw a highway and got caught, the fine would have easily wiped out any supposed savings I was getting with the purchase of non-highway diesel for equipment. And yes, we would get checked whenever we got stopped by law enforcement which happened quite often when you transport oversize loads all the time.

trayson
09-19-2013, 01:46 PM
In my experience though, the added scrutiny that you are bound to attract is not worth it. I used to run my own medium and heavy duty truck and equipment maintenance company and I had to watch which diesel blend I used for each job. If I got caught using non-highway diesel in any of my trucks or anything that saw a highway and got caught, the fine would have easily wiped out any supposed savings I was getting with the purchase of non-highway diesel for equipment. And yes, we would get checked whenever we got stopped by law enforcement which happened quite often when you transport oversize loads all the time.

Understandable. We quit buying the red dye diesel here at work as it wasn't worth the hassle for minor amount of savings. Fine with me, it's one less tax return that I have to file on behalf of our company. And we use a lot more of our fleet on the road vs the minor amount of offroad only equipment.

But in this case, I'll personally save reciepts, run a tape with dollars and gallons, fill in the form, and get money back. It likely won't take that long and the rebate will be greater than my hourly rate, so it'll be worth my time.

Plus the principle of not paying any more taxes than I have to is a bonus.

Moor
09-19-2013, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=trayson;102337]I love it. it's not the most powerful car by today's standards, but it's very mod friendly and there's so much fun you can have with them. They handle excellent and are certainly "quick" enough to get you into trouble. Mine is modded with the typical array of bolt on's to bring me from the stock 240hp up to around 285 or so. Forced induction would be a blast, but not in my budget. The M3 cabrio was my dream car in college, so when I had the chance to own one I knew it was meant to be. It's hard for me to imagine many other cars that could make me as happy (especially for the price).

i've been lusting after a nice, clean E36 M3 coupe for over a decade. forced induction may be in its future, but i want to enjoy it as BMW intended it to be for now. Theres something truely magical about the E36 M3's

Cusefan78
09-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Between my company, driving to my cottage every weekend, boats, and snowmobiles I spend an average 18k a year on fuel. Makes my stomach turn.

OneCent
09-20-2013, 04:46 PM
This Season i spend around 2300$ - 65 engine hours.

Blackntan90
09-20-2013, 08:15 PM
This season was too busy for me to enjoy the boat too much. We did end up going out a couple of times and a week at the lake, so we are right around $500 for this year.