PDA

View Full Version : New to the Group, '89 Bravura from Washington State

AJWEINS
09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
First of all, thanks for the wealth of info everyone has chipped in to this site. What an amazing resource! Although some of the knowledge is terrifying as I review the projects that may lay ahead for me. LOL.

First question, it appears many of the photo threads are gone, am I correct in that assumption? I love checking out everyone's boats and getting new idea's, but it appears that not many have albums posted and the original photo thread/forum is expired. User error on my part?

Second, I have read a few threads on props. What is the consensus on the best all around prop for the 454 in the Bravura's?

Third, the previous owner put an 650cfm carb on . The boat has a wicked flat spot almost right out of the hole which is absolutely brutal when teaching beginner skiers or boarders. I would like to go back to the stock quadra jet (850cfm?) Any input?

Fourthly, my boat came with a matching cooler mounted behind the drivers seat? Was this a fairly common option?

Lastly, yes I was born prior to 1980 and I do love the older boats....and I always drool over most of then newer models. (especially the blue metallic flake anniversary editions... was that 2001 or 2006?, Does anyone have one of these? I believe it was a legacy?)

Thanks in advance,

AJWEINS
09-18-2013, 02:40 PM
And one more question, the previous owner disconnected the switch to the wake plate leaving it in the "up" position. Is this worth hooking back up?

villain
09-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Welcome to the club! What part of Washington?

92SupraComp
09-18-2013, 03:42 PM
nice boat! BTW, Rochesters are 750 CFM, unless its off a Caddy 500, then its an 800 CFM...

Go with this, will get better performance than the quadrajet:

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/carburetors-marine-series/

haugy
09-18-2013, 03:49 PM
First of all, thanks for the wealth of info everyone has chipped in to this site. What an amazing resource! Although some of the knowledge is terrifying as I review the projects that may lay ahead for me. LOL.

First question, it appears many of the photo threads are gone, am I correct in that assumption? I love checking out everyone's boats and getting new idea's, but it appears that not many have albums posted and the original photo thread/forum is expired. User error on my part?

Second, I have read a few threads on props. What is the consensus on the best all around prop for the 454 in the Bravura's?

Third, the previous owner put an 650cfm carb on . The boat has a wicked flat spot almost right out of the hole which is absolutely brutal when teaching beginner skiers or boarders. I would like to go back to the stock quadra jet (850cfm?) Any input?

Fourthly, my boat came with a matching cooler mounted behind the drivers seat? Was this a fairly common option?

Lastly, yes I was born prior to 1980 and I do love the older boats....and I always drool over most of then newer models. (especially the blue metallic flake anniversary editions... was that 2001 or 2006?, Does anyone have one of these? I believe it was a legacy?)

Thanks in advance,

Welcome to the board. I had your boats twin, the Mariah, before I got my Saltare. Great boats. Even more rare that yours has the 454.

Answers:

1) The forum switched formats a few years ago so many of the old pictures are gone. There are many threads starting with the month in pictures, (september picture thread, August picture thread, etc)

2) Props, there is no easy way to answer that. It's essentially asking what tires are best for your car. Only you can really tell. Everyone uses their tires (props) for something different. Whether it be for cruising, bottom end power, wakeboarding, slaloming, etc. There are a lot of prop threads, but the best thing you can do is call up a place like Acme, tell them your boat, engine, transmission ratio (like 1:23:1 or 1:1 which yours probably is) and then tell them how you plan to use the boat. They are extremely knowledgeable and will guide you.

3) The stock carb on that boat was not a QJ 850, it was the Holley 650 (or Holley 4160 marine model). Many have put new carbs on their boats and love them. Since many of the newer carbs are more easy and advanced they can be beneficial for sure. An 850 will probably be a little overkill for your boat. I'd say look into the 750cfm range. Many here have had great luck with the Edelbrock carb series. That and a proper prop will really make your boat launch. Plus a solid tune up will really help.

4) The matching coolers are SUPER-RARE, keep that thing in pristine condition. For someone like me, to buy a boat with that still in it and in good shape lets me know this thing is cherry. Since your boat has the 454 and the cooler it would seem to me that the boat was ordered fully loaded. Those are both upfit options for your boat. So someone wanted the best of the Bravura/Mariah class.

5) Trim tab. Your boat did not come with an electronic trim tab, even fully loaded. But they can be easily added from Supra now-a-days and look like a factory option. If you have it, and can get it working it's a definite must to utilize. Having that feature is like having adjustable shocks in a vehicle, oh so nice to dial in that perfect ride when you need it.

AJWEINS
09-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Thanks! Woodinville to be exact.

crystal waters
09-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Sharp looking boat! enjoy for all it has to offer!
Welcome aboard!

AJWEINS
09-18-2013, 05:07 PM
nice boat! BTW, Rochesters are 750 CFM, unless its off a Caddy 500, then its an 800 CFM...

Go with this, will get better performance than the quadrajet:

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/carburetors-marine-series/

Thanks 92SupraComp. We love the boat. I've wanted a comp since the 80's when I was in high school...but 3 kids and a bad "water over the bow" experience for my wife in a friends comp ended up in a Bravura. :D Marriage.

Thanks for the link, you'd recommend a 750 as far as size though?

AJWEINS
09-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the board. I had your boats twin, the Mariah, before I got my Saltare. Great boats. Even more rare that yours has the 454.

Answers:

1) The forum switched formats a few years ago so many of the old pictures are gone. There are many threads starting with the month in pictures, (september picture thread, August picture thread, etc)

2) Props, there is no easy way to answer that. It's essentially asking what tires are best for your car. Only you can really tell. Everyone uses their tires (props) for something different. Whether it be for cruising, bottom end power, wakeboarding, slaloming, etc. There are a lot of prop threads, but the best thing you can do is call up a place like Acme, tell them your boat, engine, transmission ratio (like 1:23:1 or 1:1 which yours probably is) and then tell them how you plan to use the boat. They are extremely knowledgeable and will guide you.

3) The stock carb on that boat was not a QJ 850, it was the Holley 650 (or Holley 4160 marine model). Many have put new carbs on their boats and love them. Since many of the newer carbs are more easy and advanced they can be beneficial for sure. An 850 will probably be a little overkill for your boat. I'd say look into the 750cfm range. Many here have had great luck with the Edelbrock carb series. That and a proper prop will really make your boat launch. Plus a solid tune up will really help.

4) The matching coolers are SUPER-RARE, keep that thing in pristine condition. For someone like me, to buy a boat with that still in it and in good shape lets me know this thing is cherry. Since your boat has the 454 and the cooler it would seem to me that the boat was ordered fully loaded. Those are both upfit options for your boat. So someone wanted the best of the Bravura/Mariah class.

5) Trim tab. Your boat did not come with an electronic trim tab, even fully loaded. But they can be easily added from Supra now-a-days and look like a factory option. If you have it, and can get it working it's a definite must to utilize. Having that feature is like having adjustable shocks in a vehicle, oh so nice to dial in that perfect ride when you need it.

Thanks for the response Haugy. I will definitely take your advice on the prop situation, and I got an similiar earlier response on the carb situation as well, so I will head that direction as well.

Your reaction to the cooler made me laugh. When I looked at the boat and saw the cooler I had to have it. My wife could not for the life of her understand the importance.... good stuff. It is basically color matched with matching upholstry on the lid, and in pretty good shape considering the age.

Im shocked the trim tab is an add since the switch is on the factory dash. Was there and AUX switch on them all that they used? Was they're any other options on these? I have a ton of original paperwork that came with it, so I will double check and see if there is an original sticker or build sheet.

The floor is pretty stout for the most part, but I fear there is some rot under the drivers seat. It appears to have been re mounted at a slight angle and I am assuming the original screws stripped out. Unfortunately it is loose again and is going to need some attention this offseason. The boat only has 260 original hours on it and other that the black needing to be buffed out and the upholstrey showing some age, it seems to be pretty stout.

AJWEINS
09-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Sharp looking boat! enjoy for all it has to offer!
Welcome aboard!

Thanks Crystal Waters. we had a great July and August and are hoping to squeeze a few more days out of September. We lost a starter in August and ended up staying overnight on the boat so thank god it was a cuddy! LOL

AJWEINS
09-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Nice looking boat. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks ngavdba. Love the Rider. Classic boat.

Blackntan90
09-18-2013, 07:49 PM
She sure does look good, love the lines with that windshield! I have the factory matched cooler for my '90 Mariah- the open bow sister to your Bravura, same colors too! I love the cooler a lot, looks so cool matched to the interior!

AJWEINS
09-18-2013, 08:21 PM
She sure does look good, love the lines with that windshield! I have the factory matched cooler for my '90 Mariah- the open bow sister to your Bravura, same colors too! I love the cooler a lot, looks so cool matched to the interior!

Thanks Blackntan. I love the sister boat! I noticed your trailer has the pipe style guides, is that stock? I have horizontal carpet guides on the back and don't see them often. No wake plate on your boat either correct? And, last question, does that year have the push out wing windows like mine?

CornRickey
09-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Welcome aboard. We try to spend a couple days on the river at Vantage every summer. I bought my boat up in your neck of the woods a couple years ago.

haugy
09-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Thanks Blackntan. I love the sister boat! I noticed your trailer has the pipe style guides, is that stock? I have horizontal carpet guides on the back and don't see them often. No wake plate on your boat either correct? And, last question, does that year have the push out wing windows like mine?

There were two trailer types for the classic Supras, some have the flat bunk trailer guides like yours, others the vertical pipes. All the boats came with wakeplates, but they were manually adjustable, not electric or hydraulic.

As for your windows, all square windshields of the Gen 2 Supra's (comp, conbrio, mariah, bravura, sunsport, marauder, saltare, and pirata) have those vented side windows. Be careful with them though, they are extremely hard to replace. Any component on the windshield is the hardest spare part or replacement part to find on these boats. So take good care of your glass and frames.

Jetlink
09-18-2013, 11:29 PM
There were two trailer types for the classic Supras, some have the flat bunk trailer guides like yours, others the vertical pipes.

Only two types? You sure about that? I thought there were three...

AJWEINS
09-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Welcome aboard. We try to spend a couple days on the river at Vantage every summer. I bought my boat up in your neck of the woods a couple years ago.

My profile pic is actually just a few miles north of the Vantage bridge... we do Crescent Bar once a year and a lot of Entiat trips. Love the river.

AJWEINS
09-19-2013, 01:31 PM
There were two trailer types for the classic Supras, some have the flat bunk trailer guides like yours, others the vertical pipes. All the boats came with wakeplates, but they were manually adjustable, not electric or hydraulic.

As for your windows, all square windshields of the Gen 2 Supra's (comp, conbrio, mariah, bravura, sunsport, marauder, saltare, and pirata) have those vented side windows. Be careful with them though, they are extremely hard to replace. Any component on the windshield is the hardest spare part or replacement part to find on these boats. So take good care of your glass and frames.

That explains the wakeplate. I was thumbing through the owners manual and it said "all supra's" came with the plate, so it was just the electric adjustment that was an option. Was that a factory add on then?

I've heard the glass is like gold, I had them tinted last month and was nervous the whole time LOL.

I do have the original manual and the service manual for the engine as well, if anyone needs any info out it.

Oddly the manual shows an infloor cooler in both the Mariah and the Bravura but I'm pretty sure I have no such cooler...

mtndreamer
09-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Try adding a 1/2 turn on the accelerator pump adjustment. Mine had the same dead spot and my kids were not happy about it. Did a little tweaking with that nylock but and bolt and it works awesome now! The 4160 is easy to work on but adjusting the floats takes some patience. Beautiful boat!

haugy
09-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Only two types? You sure about that? I thought there were three...

Well yes, there is your weird ass trailer. :D But yours is the only one like that I have seen from Supra so I'm going with some weird order to fill a back-order supply issue or something with the regular ones.

That explains the wakeplate. I was thumbing through the owners manual and it said "all supra's" came with the plate, so it was just the electric adjustment that was an option. Was that a factory add on then?

I've heard the glass is like gold, I had them tinted last month and was nervous the whole time LOL.

I do have the original manual and the service manual for the engine as well, if anyone needs any info out it.

Oddly the manual shows an infloor cooler in both the Mariah and the Bravura but I'm pretty sure I have no such cooler...

The electric wakeplate wasn't introduced until the late 90's So when I say a factory add-on, most likely someone called Supra and got the parts from a newer boat to put on their old one.

As for the infloor cooler I know the Mariah has one, not sure about the Bravura. The Mariah's was under the cushion that separated the windshield. The middle cushion on the walkthrough area lifted and a solid fiberglass storage area was beneath. It had a drain in the middle of the floor of this space to drain water out. That's the cooler. Since yours is closed bow, I'm not sure where they would put the cooler. Many of the manuals would say "the mariah/bravura comes with.........." when in reality only one of those boats would come with that option or feature. Most of the boat manuals were that way, very general when referring to the models.

AJWEINS
09-20-2013, 12:30 PM
The electric wakeplate wasn't introduced until the late 90's So when I say a factory add-on, most likely someone called Supra and got the parts from a newer boat to put on their old one.

As for the infloor cooler I know the Mariah has one, not sure about the Bravura. The Mariah's was under the cushion that separated the windshield. The middle cushion on the walkthrough area lifted and a solid fiberglass storage area was beneath. It had a drain in the middle of the floor of this space to drain water out. That's the cooler. Since yours is closed bow, I'm not sure where they would put the cooler. Many of the manuals would say "the mariah/bravura comes with.........." when in reality only one of those boats would come with that option or feature. Most of the boat manuals were that way, very general when referring to the models.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense on the cooler, the manual is very generic for sure. I'm looking forward to expermenting with Wake plate this weekend as well.

Has anyone had any particular success with covers? I need to have my original cockpit cover replaced (I'm guessing an upholstry shop is my only option here) but I'd also like to order a custome fit storage cover, perhaps even the custom travel covers with the straps in the back only.

Any suggestions from the group?

Blackntan90
09-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Well on the cooler subject, mine is a stand alone coleman I believe. It is 'mounted' behind the drivers seat and the lid is done in matching vinyl to the boat. The cushion in the walk through covers a ski locker on my boat that runs all the way to the bow. Have to see if I have a pic of the cooler...