PDA

View Full Version : should i replace my stringers, 89 bravura

supravt
09-18-2013, 08:16 PM
I just bought a 89 bravura with 480hrs on boat and motor original single axle trailer everything works interior is original and is in good shape no major tears in seats just normal wear an tear like the back seats where people put there feet when they get in from the back. I paid $2000 for it and the floor was already out of most of it except the cuddy cabin so i knew it needed a floor when i bought it. So i checked my lag bolts on the motor mounts today and all the ones on the passenger side spin but it doesn't look like the motor mounts are moving around at all. The ones by the drivers seat all feel good and one spins on the back drivers side. I looked down in one of the lag bolt holes that i could see in and there looks like good wood at the bottom i was thinking about trying little bit longer bolts. I drilled a little hole in the stringer under the rear seat to see how it looked there and i got good wood but i noticed it is wet, i also checked the foam and it is wet to is they any way to dry this out. i was hoping to get at least one summer out of it before i would have to replace my stringers, just put a cheap floor in it for now. sorry no pic yet soon

michael hunter
09-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Its just a matter of time its going to need stringers. Sounds like its already torn apart and this season is coming to an end . If you have the time and money now would be a good time to make it right.

Moor
09-19-2013, 04:01 PM
it definately sounds like stringer replacement is in your near future. Like Michael said, if you have the time and money, tackle it now while its already apart. Theres plenty of info and people that will help you with any questions you have. If thats not an option, scabbing in a cheap floor will probably get you another season or two, if your careful, depending on what you want to use the boat for. I wouldn't load it up with a lot of ballast for boarding or anything like that. If the foam and stringers are wet, then its only a matter of time, i dont think theres any way to really dry that area out.