PDA

View Full Version : I/O vs DD

jasun
09-20-2013, 04:30 PM
I made the jump last year from a 16' outboard to my Salt. Put a lot of sweat into it and got it solid again. Enjoyed it all year with minimal learning curve in manuvering it and turning a low speeds.

I have read a lot of places that people who own full inboards will never go back to I/O's or outboards again. I have now joined that rank. Today, I helped a buddy Test Drive an 19' I/O. It has a SB V8 in it so it should be similar to work on as my BB. After that, the similarities go away.
For only being a 19' boat with that power plant, it seemed to take a while to get on plane. It was very smooth once it got on plane.

It is a 1995 so I am assuming it is a composite boat as it is a Baja?? but it seems to be ass end heavy.

Turning it is where I saw the biggest difference. Compared to the Salt, it felt sluggish and fat. I felt like it might turn in a tight radius, but at a banked angle the whole way. I did not care for it compared to the Salt. It just felt sloppy...

The only thing I was envious of was when we were putting it back on the lift and were mis-aligned, it was nice to have a choice of direction in reverse. That being said, I love how when I go to the sand bar (noone beaches, but moors in 2-3 feet of water) I can front in till it is about 4' deep and then do the Forward/Reverse dance and watch it spin on a dime. It took me while, but I am sure I can spin the boat within its total length +2 feet.

Over all, the runabout is a nice boat, but there is no way I will ever go back to either an I/O or ourboard after having the DD. Just a better feel for me.

Cusefan78
09-20-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm in the same boat. Went from a baja to my supra and I'll never go back.

chris young
09-21-2013, 11:51 AM
I've driven plenty of I/O and outboards, and skied behind most of them. I bought my Supra for skiing because it was DD. I'm sure there are a few outboards that do ski well, but I knew they would be hard to find. We all know what sucks about a DD (engine right in the middle of the boat) but that's what makes them special too. If I was buying a boat without skiing in mind though, I'm not sure that I would choose a DD. The motor in the middle and the fact that the prop and rudder are always under the boat are definite inconveniences. I built a railway for hauling my boat in and out, and everything had to be 16" taller than it would have been had it been had it not been a DD.

Still, the first time anyone who's never skied behind a proper ski boat gets behind my boat, they're impressed with how easy it is to get up and how solid the pull is for slalom.

86 century
09-21-2013, 01:47 PM
We just made the jump from a dd to a vdrive. Totally different world same pull and close on the handling. With all the room of an I/O or ourboard.

jasun
09-21-2013, 06:51 PM
I've driven plenty of I/O the fact that the prop and rudder are always under the boat are definite inconveniences.

I thought the same thing until I looked at a brochure for an 18' Rinker and it has a draft of 36"... Not sure if that with the outdrive down all the way or what, but seems deep. I am pretty sure the Salt has a draft of 25".

gogger
09-21-2013, 10:22 PM
When I was 16 I bought a Correct Craft I/O I believe it was an 18 footer, with a Renault 4 cylinder engine. We were young and loved it, but it was tough to ski behind. Hardly could pull up a 120 pound kid. Since it was a Correct Craft I soon learned about the Ski Nautiques and always have wanted a D/D since. A couple years ago we started to go boating with some friends that had an I/O. Pretty much the same deal. Could hardly pull up a skier, I never did get up on skis behind it, did have fun on the knee board though. So my wife and I started think about getting a boat, I agreed to get one, but it had to be a D/D ski boat. There is no comparison between the two. And I would rather not get in the water behind anything else. Tried to knee board behind my buddies outboard while in Folly beach, and it was a terrible experience. Would like to try a V-Drive. But pretty sure I will stay with the Pirata for the rest of my life.

gogger
09-21-2013, 11:00 PM
This was behind the Pirata a couple weeks ago. Don't think an I/O could do it.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201460863595218&set=vb.1584453747&type=2&theater

jasun
09-22-2013, 06:59 PM
This was behind the Pirata a couple weeks ago. Don't think an I/O could do it.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201460863595218&set=vb.1584453747&type=2&theater

Couldnt get your link to work..

gogger
09-22-2013, 09:27 PM
It worked from my phone?

86 century
09-22-2013, 09:27 PM
I have had ob, I/O, dd and now vdrive. One of which was an 18' aluminum deep v with a worked over 275hp mercury was fast as hell but still didn't match the pull of the Bravura.

If you ever make the jump to an all composite vdrive i would bet you will wish you had done it a long time ago.

gogger
09-22-2013, 10:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaXUTQv1kT4&feature=share

Another good barefoot run from the 80's

gogger
09-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Um no I didn't watch it all.

gogger
09-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Ok so I should have watched it all I thought wetsuit take off referred to taking off. Not tsking off the wet suit. Not as bad ss I thought it was going to be. At least kept on the banana hammock. Lol. Sorry Daniel.

Jetlink
09-23-2013, 10:48 AM
My advise to all is do not watch on 50" TV like I did. Saving grave to this cockamamie video (yes, pun intended) is that it is not in 1080p HD. Also, if you have a spouse and she just happens to walk through the house and look up while you are watching it, pause it quickly and tell her you love her.

And how did that all work out for you?

Cusefan78
09-23-2013, 01:29 PM
I was getting bored with the video and forwarded ahead to see if he does any other tricks but all I got was mullet and speedo. I want to scratch my eyes out.

Moor
09-23-2013, 05:54 PM
As much as i didn't need to see that, i must admit that guys got skills. I can't get out of a wet suit that fast on dry land.... Now if only there was a video of a hot chick doing the same moves on youtube

trayson
09-23-2013, 05:58 PM
When I was a tiny kid, we had big blown out jet boats in SoCal. Growing up we had a 18.5" Seaswirl I/O. Those were some of my fondest memories of growing up.

When I graduated college, I had a rommie that had an MB Sports Boss 200. We went out on that 3x a week and it was the highlight of my 20's. Then we all started getting married off and he got a Sport Nautique DD. Again, lots of fun and I knew from these boats that I would never be happy with the abrupt wake of an I/O. The smooth ramp of the tournament boats were just SO much nicer. It just wasn't worth it to wakeboard behind most I/O's, and skiing--no way. During those years, I didn't have my own boat so I chose to focus on the one discipline that I enjoyed the most (wakeboarding). I could slalom, but honestly, it wasn't my passion or forte.

Probably around 3 or 4 years ago, I had the chance to try wakesurfing behind a MB Sport B52 v3. Then my world changed. I was instantly in love with surfing and again confirmed that I could NEVER have an I/O.

I'm still a little torn between DD's and V-drives. V-drive wins HANDS DOWN for Surf, and also is superior for wakeboard. I adore the seating configuration and STORAGE/BALLAST space. However, I was able to get my DD for under $10k all composite and nicely outfitted (tower, ballast, prop, PP, racks, etc.) So I sure like my DD's price relative to what it would take for me to have the wake and convenince of a v-drive (we dream about quick, hard plumbed, all hidden ballast).

Before I owned a boat, I guess being out on an I/O was better than sitting at home (barely) but I would never own anything but a DD or V-Drive.

Moor
09-24-2013, 02:41 PM
ive had an old volvo penta I/O (first boat, indestructable, still in use today) an outboard, a Seadoo jetboat, an old CC Barefoot nautique, and my current Supra Sunsport. Nothing compares to the ride and feel of a DD (except maybe a V-drive, havent had the pleasure yet). even if i didnt wakesurf/board, i still much prefer a DD over just about anything else. much more solid feel, and the sound is hard to beat. Its not a real boat unless its got a prop shaft, imo....

Jetlink
09-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Its not a real boat unless its got a prop shaft, imo....

We have a saying at work to poke fun at the turboprop drivers. We should come up with something like that. The saying we have for the prop guys is, "Props are for boats and boots are for cowboys."

chris young
09-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Boots are for cowboys? Are you talking de icing boots?

Sdc77
09-25-2013, 11:21 AM
My first boat was a I/O volvo Penta AQ145B, on a Invader V171.
We started wakeboarding on this boat with a good wake for beginners.

I can't spit on I/O, they do what you want and are drivable on reverse. They got good top end speed, good drivability (not as good as DD-VD), cheaper and easier to find.
The thing that is really missing on that boats is the plateform at water level.

But for wakeboarding/skating/surfing, I will never go back to an I/O.

What I can say about DD VS V-drive :
- Better room, sunbath up of the engine, better Wake size/shape, better surfing ability etc. for the V-drive
- Better drivability at idle and low speed, better acceleration, better for skying, cheaper boats for Direct-drive

Jetlink
09-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Boots are for cowboys? Are you talking de icing boots?

Bingo! No turbo prop airplane can produce enough high pressure bleed air to run a hot wing anti-ice system.

jayschock
09-25-2013, 12:17 PM
I have to throw one differing, well not totally differing, but slightly different opinion out there. I have owned quite a few boats. Currently have a 88 Supra Comp and at the pricepoint I can't think of another boat that I would rather have. However, I had a 99 Sanger with a 200 EFI Merc and that boat handled like a dream, pulled like a mule and had a great ski/barefoot wake. Never a fan of I/Os but the old Sangers and Malibu Flightcrafts with outboards were great all around boats.

trayson
09-25-2013, 01:57 PM
My first boat was a I/O volvo Penta AQ145B, on a Invader V171.
We started wakeboarding on this boat with a good wake for beginners.

I can't spit on I/O, they do what you want and are drivable on reverse. They got good top end speed, good drivability (not as good as DD-VD), cheaper and easier to find.
The thing that is really missing on that boats is the plateform at water level.

But for wakeboarding/skating/surfing, I will never go back to an I/O.

What I can say about DD VS V-drive :
- Better room, sunbath up of the engine, better Wake size/shape, better surfing ability etc. for the V-drive
- Better drivability at idle and low speed, better acceleration, better for skying, cheaper boats for Direct-drive

Why would you say that the DD has better driveability at idle/low speed than a v-drive? they are both fixed shaftdrive props with a rudder behind it. So the only real difference would be engine location. Are you saying that the DD will do better idling around because of the location of the engine/weight distribution?

Jetlink
09-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Why would you say that the DD has better driveability at idle/low speed than a v-drive? they are both fixed shaftdrive props with a rudder behind it. So the only real difference would be engine location. Are you saying that the DD will do better idling around because of the location of the engine/weight distribution?

More predictability in my opinion. I never have to really think about how my boat is going to behave at low/idle speeds both in forward and reverse. My in-laws stern drive can be a head ache some days trying to get it in the lift under certain weather conditions, never an issue with my boat though as it is always consistent. How much effort and mental capacity does it take to maneuver your boat in a circle not much greater than the length of your boat?

Sdc77
09-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Well,
I have 3 points of comparison :
-2009 X35 mastercraft VD (23ft) + hydraulic steering
-2009 Malibu waksetter VD (20ft), cable steering
-1989 Supra Slatare DD (23ft), cable steering, tired rudder

The Saltare can turn like it's fixed to the water from the center of the boat, it's incredible. We can do 360° (or more ...) without moving forward or backward
The mastercraft was an anchor ! you need the champs Elysée street (or Hollywood boulevard ...) to do a 360° turn
The Malibu is almost as hard as the MC to do the job. It has much more inertia, like if you ask something to it and get it 5-10 seconds later ...

Definitely the Saltare is the winner in overall drivability + acceleration

trayson
09-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Well,
I have 3 points of comparison :
-2009 X35 mastercraft VD (23ft) + hydraulic steering
-2009 Malibu waksetter VD (20ft), cable steering
-1989 Supra Slatare DD (23ft), cable steering, tired rudder

The Saltare can turn like it's fixed to the water from the center of the boat, it's incredible. We can do 360° (or more ...) without moving forward or backward
The mastercraft was an anchor ! you need the champs Elysée street (or Hollywood boulevard ...) to do a 360° turn
The Malibu is almost as hard as the MC to do the job. It has much more inertia, like if you ask something to it and get it 5-10 seconds later ...

Definitely the Saltare is the winner in overall drivability + acceleration

Interesting. Well, I'd take either of the other two boats in a heartbeat over even my all composite tricked out 92 Sunsport! hahaha

DAFF
09-25-2013, 10:14 PM
The DD boats will perform in all aspects better than the I/O other than reversing, beach landings and big water waves. The design of the hull and the big V is the largest variable in making the boats feel like you are driving a double decker bus with a pool on the top.

My next cruiser will be a twin screw inboard. After using the Doral for the summer I found myself a little irritated with the constant messing with the trim to make it run down the water. But the cabin style weekend boat is a must have for the family. Great times were had on both this summer.

Sdc77
09-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Finally, you don't need a DD, VD or any V8 boat to do wakeboarding, your just need to be ..... asian :rolleyes:

https://vimeo.com/75478612

The boy
09-26-2013, 09:07 PM
umm my new v-drive accelerates better than my sunsport and a buddies comp