PDA

View Full Version : Best used surf boats?

wotan2525
09-24-2013, 11:42 AM
The GF and I had a discussion this weekend about possibly starting the process of considering a new boat. Between some savings, attractive loan rates, selling some of the other toys, etc we have realized that we can probably very easily take on a payment that we are comfortable with.

Here's the rub -- this only makes sense to us if we can upgrade to a dramatically better surf boat. Our boat fits the bill just fine for party coving, party coving, wake-skating and cruising. There's no doubt in our minds that a new Wakesetter 24 w/ Surfgate would be a MUCH better surf boat. There's no doubt that a Centurion Enzo would also fit the bill. I believe that both of these options are going to be out of our price range. We'll be limited to $35-40k.

It's hard for me to know if my boat is a better surf boat or if I just have it setup better (I've spent a lot of time with different bags/fittings/configs, etc) but it does surf better than the other (limited) models that I've got first-hand experience with. Notably, MC X-Star, MC X-1, Wakesetter XTi and a Malibu Response/Echelon.

What have you been on that's the BEST and might still be in our price range?

2500HD
09-24-2013, 10:19 PM
This is a very subjective question Wotan. I to am in the same boat. no pun intended, but i am a year or 2 out. The main thing that i am looking for is v-drive first. Atleast 22ft. second. then i would look at hull design third. Actually 2nd and 3rd are about equal. What i personally am looking for is a v-drive that has plenty of room on the inside and has a good freeeboard. This will allow me to weight it as i feel necessary. The wave i know i can get right with just a little time, if i use a wake shaping surf gate or slamming one side. Although i will probably always use my wake shaper design, it just works to well and is to easy. With all that being said, you have a very large selection of boats in your price range and i would recommend a 07 Mobius xlv with the bags upgraded to 1500#. Very nice boat that puts out a north shore type wave.

trayson
09-28-2013, 01:14 AM
This is a very subjective question Wotan. I to am in the same boat. no pun intended, but i am a year or 2 out. The main thing that i am looking for is v-drive first. Atleast 22ft. second. then i would look at hull design third. Actually 2nd and 3rd are about equal. What i personally am looking for is a v-drive that has plenty of room on the inside and has a good freeeboard. This will allow me to weight it as i feel necessary. The wave i know i can get right with just a little time, if i use a wake shaping surf gate or slamming one side. Although i will probably always use my wake shaper design, it just works to well and is to easy. With all that being said, you have a very large selection of boats in your price range and i would recommend a 07 Mobius xlv with the bags upgraded to 1500#. Very nice boat that puts out a north shore type wave.

I've ridden behind a pimped out XLV and I was not disappointed. $35 to $40k opens up a ton of options. I like what was said above. You might start reading some of the recent threads on WW. Seems like this question comes up a lot over there and they have a broader experience with other brands... Or just attend the Wake9 polar bear classic in October and surf a ton of boats and boards in 2 days!!!

Wylietunes
09-29-2013, 10:10 AM
With your budget, I would look at the 22ft Tige boats. 22V (05), 22Ve (06-09) and RZ2 (07-08). You may even find an 08-09 Z1 in your price range. These boats are some of the easiest to dial in and throw a great wake on both sides. Big deep boat with lots of free board and comfortable seating. We typically run a 1200 lb custom surf sac in these boats on the surf side rear. The Z1 tends to like more bow weight the others though. ax

wotan2525
09-30-2013, 10:55 AM
With your budget, I would look at the 22ft Tige boats. 22V (05), 22Ve (06-09) and RZ2 (07-08). You may even find an 08-09 Z1 in your price range. These boats are some of the easiest to dial in and throw a great wake on both sides. Big deep boat with lots of free board and comfortable seating. We typically run a 1200 lb custom surf sac in these boats on the surf side rear. The Z1 tends to like more bow weight the others though. ax

Thanks! If I could find an RZ2 or a Z1 in my price range, I'd be all over it. It's looking more and more like we'll be listing my boat for sale soon..... Might just throw a "what the hell" price on it to see if anyone bites.

villain
09-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Wotan, what's your price range? We have a couple guys with rz2s that are wanting to get into a rz4 or the new tige that's getting released this week. Let me know And I will ask what they need out of them.

wotan2525
09-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Wotan, what's your price range? We have a couple guys with rz2s that are wanting to get into a rz4 or the new tige that's getting released this week. Let me know And I will ask what they need out of them.

It all depends on what I get for my boat and what kind of financing I'd qualify for. My guess is that my upper limit is going to be $40k.

trayson
09-30-2013, 05:49 PM
It all depends on what I get for my boat and what kind of financing I'd qualify for. My guess is that my upper limit is going to be $40k.

What all does your boat have and what do you think you'll realistically be able to get for it? Always curious what the DD Supras are likely to fetch... I'd like to think that I will be able to get more than I paid for mine if/when the time comes to finally sell... (I'm with you on the V-drive envy. integrated, all hidden ballast is my dream)

wotan2525
10-01-2013, 08:43 AM
What all does your boat have and what do you think you'll realistically be able to get for it?

I started making a list of my boats "upgrades" to prepare a for-sale ad. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. Here we go:

Exterior:
Stainless Rub Rail, Fresh Air Exhaust, Pop-up Cleats, LED low-profile bow light, tower mounted anchor light

Interior/Stereo:
2x12" Alpine Type-Rs, 4x6.5" Type-R Mids, Kicker HLCD 6-pack Tower Speakers, 3x Class-D Amps, 3xBatteries, On-Board Charger, 160amp Alternator, integrated battery isolator/combiner, 0/00 gauge wiring throughout, new throttle/steering cables, rebuilt rudder box, custom ski-locker cooler, stringers/floors/carpet all replaced/rebuilt.

Driveline:
Edelbrock carb, Edelbrock Performer II intake, comp cam, ACME Prop, upgraded prop shaft and prop shaft coupler (new style), dripless shaft seal

Trailer:
LED lights all around, custom wheels w/ new tires, new jack, all new brakes/bearings, new bunks and carpet.

I'm going to shoot for the high-end because I do consider my boat to be a turn-key surf machine that really needs nothing right now. I've had 3 seasons without a break down and put ~100hours/year on it. It also has the loudest/best stereo on my river. I'll be shooting for $13-14k.

Take that and roll in the money I'll raise from selling my Aprilia and my GSXR and we'll be talking new boat! ;)

trayson
10-01-2013, 11:26 AM
haha. I can relate. I would imagine that if I sold my Sunsport, my Kawi 636, and my Built Jeep wrangler that I could get a way nicer boat... My problem is that I just won't let go of my toys, even when I really don't use them. :-/

86 century
10-01-2013, 10:31 PM
After playing with the ballast in a dd for a year to finally drop the rope on the goofy side only. We made the jump to an all composite vdrive 2000 Mobius v not an ideal surf boat but gets the job done really well with some help from the guys over on the Moomba site. Was as simple as adding bags that cant be seen 3000# worth. With plenty of storage for all kinds of crap I didn't know I needed. A surf gate is in the plans for this winter.

You don't haft to spend a small fortune to get a good wave. However it maybe easier that way.

I could be the cheap ass my wife talks about after all.

Moor
10-03-2013, 05:09 PM
My problem is that I just won't let go of my toys, even when I really don't use them. :-/

I suffer from the same problem Trayson. its a blessing and curse

wotan2525
10-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Just to show you guys what I'm used to....

http://i.imgur.com/nIzm3iv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hewjAgL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/E6DFpD1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SfRQMTj.jpg

Jetlink
10-04-2013, 10:02 AM
See, now you're just bragging there.