PDA

View Full Version : what composite is used instead of plywood now?

Salty87
09-21-2006, 02:46 PM
what are manufacturers using for flooring and seats/seat bases?

the rear deck bench on my saltare is crumbling and i'd rather not have to mess with coating plywood.

name of product and manufacturer would be great.

thanks!

Jon
09-22-2006, 09:59 PM
They are using a high density composite material called HDPE. The floor is being made of boxed aluminum in stress areas and a material called divinicell. When combined with resin, this material gets super hard.

Salty87
09-25-2006, 11:18 AM
thanks Jon.

i've contacted a few HDPE makers and haven't found any with the structural support a bench deck needs. they recommend supports every 18" but there goes the storage if i do that.

i'll see what i can find on divinicell.

what's being used back there now? v drives have huge covers and i can't believe they're still plywood.

the search continues. i've emailed skier's choice, no word back yet.

Jon
09-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Supras do not use any wood in their construction. Most materials used around the v-drive is HDPE, Fiberglass, and aluminum.

kcsideways
09-27-2006, 11:35 AM
HPDE is used for backing screw attachements in lieu of wood grounds...it's not a sheet good, typically strips. The divinicell and alum. box beams are used for the cockpit floor. Seat bases/backs are a material generally refered to as "starlite" if I recall correctly. Many quality manufacturer's use starlite for these applications. It's typically formed as a sheet good from casting phenolic resins....can be cut. drilled, bored, etc. If you ever see toilet partitions that are plastic-like, they are prob starlite. Hope that helps.

Salty87
09-28-2006, 12:17 PM
KC that does help.

i was hoping to find something like those white plastic cutting boards that seem plenty strong enough. everything so far is coming in pretty expensive. professional plastics.com has good variety but the price is not right.

i'm still looking...

kcsideways
09-28-2006, 04:19 PM
I stand corrected, HPDE it is. You can find a good variety, up to 4'x8'x2" thick at:
http://polypropylene-plastic-resin.com/hdpe-sheets.htm#Polyethylene-HDPE%20Cut%20Sheet%20Natural%20Color
Sorry for any confusion...

DKJBama92Mariah
01-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I've heard good things about Seaboard