PDA

View Full Version : Supper Trapps

86 Sun Sport
10-01-2013, 10:46 AM
has anyone ever replace the supper traps on an 86 Sun sport with rubber flappers?

Jetlink
10-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Not on a Sunsport but I did on my '86 Comp with some minor fabrication work. Nothing too hard but it was a temporary fix until I can tear it all apart and do it the right way.

92SupraComp
10-01-2013, 02:55 PM
To convert, you need 2 new 3" exhaust flanges to do it the right way. If you do that, and the super trapps are still in good shape, mind posting a pick? I would like to have them instead of them getting tossed. Me and my dad like the sound of them, but we also like the sound of our comp as it is lol. Would like to do try and make a a quick attach, so we can get what ever sound we want :P

Jetlink
10-01-2013, 08:08 PM
The problem you are going to run into is the Super Trapps threaded stud that is welded inside the pipe and extends out about 4 inches beyond the transom right down the center. That would make it difficult to swap back and forth between the Trapps and Flappers.

92SupraComp
10-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Well our Supra has never had flappers, so wont be too hard switching back and forth ;)

but, the prob is that, we have dual 3.5", not 3"....

Jetlink
10-02-2013, 01:10 AM
Well our Supra has never had flappers, so wont be too hard switching back and forth ;)

but, the prob is that, we have dual 3.5", not 3"....

Yes, but you would need to fabricate the bracket and stud in order to even have a shot at mounting up a set of Super Trapps on your boat, let alone the issue of the differing diameters.

92SupraComp
10-02-2013, 02:37 PM
well, if the OP wants to do it right wont he be taking out the super trapp flanges and installing regular 3" ones so they never leak?

Jetlink
10-02-2013, 10:15 PM
well, if the OP wants to do it right wont he be taking out the super trapp flanges and installing regular 3" ones so they never leak?

Correct, but you mentioned in an earlier post your desire to be able to swap out between various exhaust configurations to suit your mood. As for the OP, if they have had a recent restoration done on the boat then I would not go the route that I went. If however, they are due for a restoration like my '86 Comp is, then my route might work just fine.