PDA

View Full Version : Tstat for a GM 454

jasun
10-03-2013, 10:10 AM
I called Ski Dim today to order a new T stat and gasket for my 86 Saltare with a 454 in it and he said the Tstats are no longer available. There is nothing wrong with the Tstat, but it looked a little cruddy.

He said the option i have to buy a new after market housing that will accept a automotive Tstat and I could put the 160 in it. I am currently running a 142 or 143.

Any other BB guys run into this problem??

wotan2525
10-03-2013, 11:17 AM
SDC77 ran into this problem in one of his threads. AFAIK, I've got the same housing you (and he) do and I run a regular automotive T-Stat. Want to post up a photo of your housing?

jasun
10-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Ill post some up when I get home..

cadunkle
10-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Might be time to change the housing if nobody makes the goofy style anymore. They're $$$ anyhow so probably pay for itself on second thermostat replacement. I remember paying about $50 ish for my 145 last time a couple years ago. The newer style housings I believe may be a Mercruiser part and take a normal automotive thermostat. They change hose routing and hoses can be tight I believe. Basically switch the big and small hoses front/back on the housing.

FWIW ebasicpower has that style thermostat still, but 170*. http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/PLERP026001/PLE3D Would be fine for fresh water but do not run that high in salt or brackish. I run in slightly brackish water so I'll have to change my housing whenever I finally need to replace this again. I may have a spare new 145* as I tend to order double to have a spare on hand if it's a non-standard part or wear/regular replacement item. Also have the old one for sure. Not willing to part with any spares of a NLA part though. :)

TitanTn
10-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Same as Cadunkle. I have the older style housing and paid about $50 last time from Skidim and they told me then that this part was no longer available. If fact, I might have bought their last one. When it comes time to change it again, I'll be switching housings.