PDA

View Full Version : Best tower speakers to over come loud engine

96Comp
10-07-2013, 06:50 AM
What are the best tower speakers for a loud engine? Our Comp is pretty loud at 20mph. Are there speakers that will "direct" sound better to the rider than stock Roswell speakers? Can always go to FAE or more amps. But dont really want FAE and dont want to blast the lake.

Wylietunes
10-07-2013, 08:34 AM
There are 2 basic types of tower speakers. A wide dispersion traditional coaxial and an HLCD (horn loaded compression driver). Roswell offers both, so I do not know which you are referring to. Both types can and are loud, but the HLCD is a more direct-radiating speaker, therefore is the most ideal for projecting music to your wake-boarder. The downside is, there is no speaker that project 100ft and then stops. A properly powered speaker, regardless of type, can be heard across the lake, well beyond your rider in tow. Smaller pro-axial HLCD, like the 6.5" offerings by Roswell and others, will get the job done, but there is not enough mid-bass from the small driver to offset the aggressive horn. Larger 8" and 10" HLCDs will deliver a warmer, more balanced sound quality. Larger HLCDs can also offer a great compromise between sound quality and projection for surfing and wake-boarding. Beyond that, an FAE is the best stereo upgrade ive ever done, especially for surfing.

chris young
10-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I was thinking exactly the same thing! Unless it's your own private lake, or you're waaaayyy off shore, you're being less than considerate to be pumping your tunes loud enough to drown out the sound of a straight through exhaust on a V8. I assume my boat is similar in noise to yours, and even though I only ski for 10 or 15 minutes a couple of times a day, I'm still looking at both FAE and some sort of muffler like the silent rider. I just don't want to be the dick everybody rolls their eyes at every time they hear my boat start.

Cusefan78
10-07-2013, 12:04 PM
I love the sound of my boat and have had my neighbors complement me on the sound it produces. I would never install an fae if I wanted a quiter boat I would buy a pontoon boat. With that said there's a fine line to have an obnoxious stereo blaring down the lake. I'm on a private lake so my neighbors are all friends and they are into the same things I'm into so I don't have to worry about pissing them off too much. I would say get a few nice sounding cans a wakeboarder will hear the music. When I ski I can hear my 6 6.5" kickers that aren't even pointed at me.

Sdc77
10-10-2013, 10:44 AM
I use cheap MR695 BOSS audio Marine speakers x4 on the tower, behind an old school Orion Extreme 400.4 amplifier, on the front channel (rear is for the subwoofer), so connected 2 by 2, with 2Ohms load.
That sounds great and over come the 454 ;)

http://sdch2o.free.fr/perso/bateau/supra/%c3%a9t%c3%a910.JPG

CornRickey
10-17-2013, 11:27 PM
FAE, you want regret it.