PDA

View Full Version : new supra owner. got a few questions.

88Tuesday
10-16-2013, 02:00 AM
Recently bought a 2001 Supra Launch. 5.7 indmar assault EFI with DD. My main concern is my tranny fluid is milky white and after changing it and running it for a short time it is milky again. Assuming tranny cooler needs new seals or needs replaced. Also the tranny has a loud whine when in reverse, almost like a squeal but more like a whining sound. It sounds fine in forward gear. Any help with what may be wrong.

michael hunter
10-16-2013, 07:57 AM
How did you flush the trans the first time?

roosm
10-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Recently bought a 2001 Supra Launch. 5.7 indmar assault EFI with DD. My main concern is my tranny fluid is milky white and after changing it and running it for a short time it is milky again. Assuming tranny cooler needs new seals or needs replaced. Also the tranny has a loud whine when in reverse, almost like a squeal but more like a whining sound. It sounds fine in forward gear. Any help with what may be wrong.

Hi,
I have a Supra Launch from 2001, but with V-drive. It has a whine when in reverse. The dealer I bought it from said it is normal as in that is how it works.
Don't know why it whines, but mine has done it at least for the 6 years I've had the boat.
Before buying my boat I was out with 2 other supra launches, both from 2002 I think, and they also had a whining noise when in reverse.

Don't know if you have the same Hurth ZF 450 d tranny as I do, but in that case I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise someone might say it is normal with yours as well?

Milky white sounds like water in the fluid.

Mike

wotan2525
10-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Milky white means there is water in the fluid. You can pull off the tranny cooler and see if it holds pressure. If it doesn't, then you need to replace it.

88Tuesday
10-16-2013, 11:12 AM
I pumped the fluid out. I realize I probably didn't get it all out when doing this but the new fluid seemed pretty milky. I suppose it wouldn't take a whole lot of water to make it milky. I should try flushing it out better. Is there a better method than pumping it out. I didn't see any drain for it.

trayson
10-16-2013, 12:34 PM
I pumped the fluid out. I realize I probably didn't get it all out when doing this but the new fluid seemed pretty milky. I suppose it wouldn't take a whole lot of water to make it milky. I should try flushing it out better. Is there a better method than pumping it out. I didn't see any drain for it.

I would put it on the "fake a lake" where you can run the boat attached to the garden hose. That way you can guarantee no water intrusion. Then I would suck out all the fluid. What I found is that to REALLY get an effective flush, you need to disconnect the hose that goes into the tranny cooler and blow the old fluid out of it with an air compressor.

Hopefully you didn't kill your tranny. They are not very good if they are run when slipping. They glaze the clutches easily and then need a rebuild. Hope that's not the case for you. I did my tranny rebuild this summer. Mine was leaking and then on the 5th of July I milkshaked it by sucking water in. That was the nail in the coffin for me.

if you're getting water in that bad, then you should either be able to find a leak (mine was on the input shaft side) or if there's genuinely no leak, then it's water getting in through your tranny cooler.

Cusefan78
10-16-2013, 01:21 PM
I would bet it's the tranny cooler. Not sure on the hurst trannys but my pcm tranny has two small orings for the pump and one larger oring on the pump cover if those go bad water could come in from there but it's very unlikely that both rings would fail at the same time. Change the tranny cooler and change the fluid a few times to make sure you get all the water out. You can suck it out through the filler hole.

92SupraComp
10-16-2013, 05:31 PM
pretty much all transmissions whine in reverse. Just how it is. milk shake tranny = bad. better do a proper flush and see. If its milk shake again, do the cooler...

88Tuesday
10-17-2013, 01:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I just realized that the muffler looking deal inline with the water hose is the oil cooler and oil runs through those lines. I was thinking that water ran through those hoses down to the tranny to cool it. That means I left a lot of milky oil in those lines and that would be why it got so bad so quick. I will do a proper flush this time. I hope there is no real damage to the tranny. there is no telling how long the previous owners ran it like this. Still feel like I got a good deal though.

haugy
10-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Yes, before you buy any new parts, make sure you do two good flushes. Once you've gotten all the fluid out the first time, run it. You may have some watery fluid left. Run it again, and then flush again. After that, you shouldn't have any milky fluid. Run it again. If it turns milky now, look at that tranny cooler as a culprit.

Good luck.

Moor
10-17-2013, 03:03 PM
my 88 sunsport and my 87 CC barefoot both make the same whine in reverse. its normal.

DAFF
10-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Water came in from the top or through the cooler.... Get it cleaned up and perhaps do a pressure test on the two lines in and out of the cooler to se it there is a leak. 14psi should be all you need. Most of all get it cleaned up before winter. A frozen trans will be an expensive fix come spring.

Most Supras sound cranky in reverse.