PDA

View Full Version : Radio locations

Torque
10-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Hello all,

I'm looking for a location to mount my radio in my 88 comp. I hate the current sideways mounted tape deck! I was thinking of atop the helm or under it in a box. Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Torque

Wylietunes
10-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Heres a thought, do you actually need a traditional radio head-unit?

Torque
10-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Not sure what you mean by that.

James
10-18-2013, 07:49 PM
If you have all your music stored on your phone or you always stream it, like I do, you can just get an RCA to aux cord and just connect your phone directly to the amp and bypass the head unit all together. I never use my radio except for listening to college football games on the lake, but I could stream that if I had to I suppose.
My old ski challenger had a radio above dash.
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh556/jamespjackson95/9f38591c.jpg

Torque
10-18-2013, 08:19 PM
That's a neat idea! Thanks

Wylietunes
10-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Not sure what you mean by that.

Do you listen to AM, FM or CD any more? If not, then a traditional head-unit can be done away with.

mtndreamer
10-18-2013, 09:44 PM
I bought a glove box off eBay and cut it in under the windshield on the observers side. It is even angled and matches the angle of the windshield. I mounted the radio In the back of the glove box so I can keep my phone wallet and iPod in there too. I also installed a wires remote and put it in between the observers seat and the dash so I can flip through songs on my iPod and phone. Still have all the radio functions with ease of control from the drivers seat. I used some strapping to hold the back of the radio to the thick plywood under the windshield .

Torque
10-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Do you have any pictures of the glove box?

The issue here is my wife is not technical, so simple is better. That's the reason for the head unit.

mtndreamer
10-18-2013, 11:38 PM
I am away from the boat unto Sunday. I will post some then. I think the glove box was $50 bucks and it locks too.

Wylietunes
10-19-2013, 01:05 PM
The issue here is my wife is not technical, so simple is better. That's the reason for the head unit.

It can be as simple as plugging a headphone cable into your MP3/smart phone and play your play list, stream pandora or Iheart. Or even use the devices bluetooth and go cableless.

michael hunter
10-20-2013, 09:30 AM
I have a 84 comp with the same problem. I never listen to radio only ipod . Can anyone give me details on what is needed and how to hook up to use the ipod without a head unit?

Torque
10-20-2013, 09:58 AM
It sounds like you use RCA cords with a plug to fit into the headphone jack. Then just lug the RCA cords directly into an amp?

Wylietunes
10-20-2013, 01:49 PM
I have a 84 comp with the same problem. I never listen to radio only ipod . Can anyone give me details on what is needed and how to hook up to use the ipod without a head unit?

Although one can go directly from the MP3 device to the amp using a cable that has RCA jacks on one end, the sound quality and output will suffer. Its even worse if you need to split the signal to multiple amps. The preferred method is to have a line driver of some kind between the music source and the amp(s). This can be a pure line driver like the ARC Audio ALD. If can be EQ like the Wet Sounds WS-420SQ (Marine EQ with true 3 zone volume control), Kicker KQ-5 (automotive based EQ w/front/rear fade and sub level) or other automotive based EQ, or marine Zone Controller Like Kicker's ZXM-RLC (dedicated dual zone control and line driver. All of these will offer a better signal to the amp, better then any head-unit ever will.