PDA

View Full Version : Remove ski locker to change seating configuration?

biggsie
10-19-2013, 07:40 PM
I am in the process of a complete re-model on my 86 sunsport and I'm going to attempt a different seating configuration. I would like to remove the "tub" above the gas tank but I'm not sure if that would compromise the structure. Anyone ever cut it out?

biggsie
10-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Top cap is coming off in the morning. I'm going to concentrate on the stringers first and then bring in the top cap later on for modifications. I will share pics for sure;)

chris young
10-20-2013, 08:53 AM
I would love it if that tub was a ski locker, but alas it's too short. That's the biggest drawback of the Rider/early Sunsport, no place to put a ski. Since the only thing mine gets used for is skiing, it's not a big deal to lay the skis behind the driver as no one can sit aft of the pylon any ways, but still, when I load the boat up with folks it would be nice to have the skis stowed away.

What is your plan on removing that area? Are you planning on moving the aft bench seats to being right over the gas tank? I have no idea whether it's needed or not, but that section of the cap would be adding some torsional stiffness to the transom area. I'm not so sure I'd want to cut it out without replacing the structure in some way. Good luck with the project. I wish my boat was somewhere where I could work on it over the winter.