PDA

View Full Version : Just Getting Started

FlyruH2O
10-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Here's to Dreams coming True! First off...I am a new Supra 89Comp owner. I am still giddy about owning my first top-shelf tow boat :D
This is THE boat I wanted as a kid! Now only a kid-at-heart, my dream has come true! Now all I have to do is get it into the garage before snow flies. (We have already had some standing snow in Michigan)

I have a project on my hands but I am pretty stoked about the potential reward. ANY SUGGESTIONS ABOUT SUPPLIERS , RESOURCES, OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! My motor only has 516hrs on it. I am certain that it may need a little TLC (I hope only a little). The interior needs to be totally cleaned. I need to rebuild the rear seat frame and still determine if the seats themselves are salvageable or not. The gel coat looks pretty good and I will attempting to restore its original beauty soon. (Any good products :?: ) I will post pics when I have a chance.

I want to thank agetech for his willingness in giving me some direction.
I also am very appreciative of a resource like this community bulletin.

Thanks!

OUI
10-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Your first source is Skidim.com, from there Partman.com. Cleaning your interior -- use Fantastic and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.

FlyruH2O
10-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Thanks! I will be working on the seats this weekend. I will try your suggestions. The sites look like they will be of value after I assess the boat's needs.

Much appreciative :)

Brian Raymond
10-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Great advice by OUI, Vince and the crew are very knowlegeable, and are very familiar with your boat. As stated, use only Fantastik or warm soapy water to clean the vinyl. Do not use any protectants that are based with petrolleum distillates, they will eat away any UV protectant on the vinyl, and start prematuring dry rot from the inside out. Hope this helps, keep us posted. Brian Raymond

speedy600
10-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Best way to fix the back seat, ditch the seat, carpet the back to hide the fuel tank and use the space for storage or fat sacs. As far as the engie, get a carb rebuild kit from your local auto parts store (about $30) and rebuild the carb. Cleaning isn't good enough, the pluger wars out and won't advance as fast. Replace you plugs and wires, and a new ignition bever hurts (MSB Blaster Coil) from summitt racing. If you have any questions e-mail me [email protected] I redid my 87' comp, it sat for two years before i got it. I did a quick cleanup on the enging, ran it stock for about 50 hrs, then bumped it to 310hp, ran that for 50 hrs, and now it's at 412hp with a powerslot trans out of a mastercraft.

speedy600
10-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing, if you have the old steel can style water/fuel seperator, replace it with a current filter system (about $75 an any inboard marina) or if you have the filter system, replace the system and make sure the engine is drained, fogged and RV antifreeze injected

riveredge
10-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Hamilton Marine is a good online catalog; excellent prices! sometimes free shipping - although I live much closer to them than you ( they're based in maine). For example, their heater (hot air blower, basically) was $100 less than skidim.com. But skidim has tons of stuff you can't find anywhere else... and this forum should be great. Also, if you make friends with a local marina, if you have one close, they might start giving you discounts, and they have catalogs with 4x the stuff you'll find anywhere else.

best of luck and be sure to post pics!