PDA

View Full Version : Winterization Question EFI computer

eyespyautomotive
10-28-2013, 01:00 PM
When I bought my boat, the owner told me to pull the brain box, or computer that is in the back corner of the boat during the winter, and bring it inside. He said if it freezes its big bucks to replace. Now I am a pretty smart guy, and very mechanically inclined, and this sounds like a bunch of BS to me. But I thought id check to see if there's something to it. Seems to me cars make it through the winter all the time without this problem. Or is this a different deal?

Thx, Matt

Wylietunes
10-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Matt,

These ECMs are very much like an automotive ECM thats located under the hood of your car. Only way it could freeze, it would have to be full of water........but it would have already died, so freezing wouldn't matter

docdrs
10-28-2013, 02:56 PM
He may be talking about the mdc unit under the helm. Thats if it has the pitot speedo pick ups attached to it.

eyespyautomotive
10-28-2013, 03:30 PM
It was the ECM, I helped him put it back in when I bought the boat. Just figured he was being over careful or he heard somewhere that you should do it. I dont plan to and hope thats ok.

92SupraComp
10-28-2013, 08:35 PM
honestly it wont hurt at all to take it in. Actually prob help it live a bit longer as well. Because as it cools and then the temp rises it condenses water. And then the temp drops again and then it freezes. Unlike our cars we run those throughout the winter and they dry out and they are less exposed to high moisture unlike theses marine ones. I would take his advice and take it out. Remember. If its a 351W or and 350 chevy, they no longer make ECMs for them, only used ones are sold...