PDA

View Full Version : Side bunks or poles?

Cliff
10-29-2013, 01:23 PM
So I am looking for some feedback My 99 santera trailer hade side poles to line up the boat on the trailer these worked great. The trailer I am fixing has nothing but I am going to add some way of helping align the boat. I see many trailers here have side bunks. what is better?
Thanks
Cliff

haugy
10-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Personally I like the poles better. If you have a steep ramp the guides will be too far underwater, and you risk damaging the boat if you happen to come in crooked and drift over one. With poles, you can go deep (:D snicker) and they will still sit above the water line. So you don't have to worry about drift from wind, speed, missed attempt, alcohol, etc.

James
10-29-2013, 04:30 PM
I like the poles best. That way you can get supra guide pole covers for it ;)

trayson
10-29-2013, 04:57 PM
What are you referring to when you say "guides"?

And not sure what you mean about poles looking goofy. I mean, like every contemporary tournament boat trailer has them now. Basically the standard.

Anyway, I would take guide poles over bunks anyday. I am going to add some red LED lights to the top of my poles so that they're easier to see at night. Not that I *really* need that with my LED runway lights going down the frame rails!

haugy
10-29-2013, 05:31 PM
These are guide bunks. In Ngavdba's defense, his are the largest I've ever seen on the Supra trailers. The trailers that I've seen with them, Mariah, Bravura, etc were not as high and big.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx49/ngavdba/83%20supra/fd72b722.jpg

trayson
10-29-2013, 05:36 PM
These are guide bunks. In Ngavdba's defense, his are the largest I've ever seen on the Supra trailers. The trailers that I've seen with them, Mariah, Bravura, etc were not as high and big.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx49/ngavdba/83%20supra/fd72b722.jpg

I'm sure they're functional, but honestly if something it going to hit as I come in even the tinyest bit crooked (which is like every time), I'd rather it be the rub rail hitting on my guide poles rather than something like that where i'd be playing bumper cars against my hull's gelcoat.

I'm pretty good at driving it on, but my rub rail takes a little bump most times. I'll stick with what I've got.

crystal waters
10-29-2013, 05:39 PM
definitely the poles! as per Haugy's comments!

trayson
10-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Oh, I know quite well that you have vast surperiority in terms of boat care skills and undoubtedly in trailer loading skills as well.

That said, I stand behind my comments that I'd rather take a bump on my rub rail than on a guide bump.

Yes, Bass boats have poles. So does a G23.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/App_Themes/OIB/BoatPhoto/180526.jpeg

So does the trailer of pretty much any wake boat on the market today. So, poles look like basically every other contemporary trailer on the market. Ha!

BTW, your argument is invalid. So what if Bass boats share a feature with ski/wake boats? Bass boats also have metalflake. So does this 2013 Supra Launch:
http://www.onlyinboards.com/App_Themes/OIB/BoatPhoto/211398.jpeg

Your boat is old school and pristine. Your bunks are probably period correct. I'll keep my goofy poles!

haugy
10-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Ohhhhhhh, don't take your ball and go home. :P

Cliff
10-29-2013, 10:53 PM
Wow look what I started lol. Both have valid points. I do go to many deep launches so poles might suit me

beat taco
10-29-2013, 11:38 PM
Wow look what I started lol. Both have valid points. I do go to many deep launches so poles might suit me

Looks like nvgadba has the largest Haugy ever saw so if you want to go deep...
And for the record trayson said tiny, crooked, is looking to add lights to find it at night, and has big blue balls.

I must have had to winterize my boat yesterday.

trayson
10-30-2013, 12:19 AM
LOLz. I just like to debate and get on my interwebz soapbox! (and I like to hear myself talk!)

http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/77cf00a8-ad0e-49be-bbf3-bfcd7791caa1.png

It's all good! Like I said, your boat detailing and driving undoubtedly is more betta than mine! :-)

haugy
10-30-2013, 09:03 AM
WHOA. What happened!?!?!

beat taco
10-30-2013, 10:41 AM
WHOA. What happened!?!?!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/30/ybabepy5.jpg

Jetlink
10-30-2013, 10:48 AM
WHOA. What happened!?!?!

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

trayson
10-30-2013, 11:24 AM
WHOA. What happened!?!?!

Let's see... He said poles look goofy and bunks work great. I brought up that my meager skillz with driving onto the trailer mean I do better with poles, and pointed out how all the new boats have poles (in my typical longwinded internet style). I mentioned how he's a better boat driver and detailer than me. He pulled all his comments out of the thread.

I think the moral of the story is that people should all follow the "Haugy principle" in situations like these:
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?14553-Interested-in-a-1992-Sunsport-Need-opinions&p=94009#post94009

beat taco
11-07-2013, 12:45 AM
So will he show up on the Moomba site now? Isn't that the protocol? Delete all posts, become member of other skiers choice forum?

Ok I will move along now.

trayson
11-07-2013, 12:04 PM
So will he show up on the Moomba site now? Isn't that the protocol? Delete all posts, become member of other skiers choice forum?

Ok I will move along now.

I don't get it. a little bit of friendly banter about whether "poles look goofy". Me complimenting him all the while. Pictures removed, comments deleted, and user account gone. WTF? I wasn't mean!

Too bad. I had no idea a little back and forth would chase off anyone.

Cliff
11-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Ehh too bad nah trayson I don't think u were in the wrong. It just shows the maturity level of some people lol

So after everything I think I m going with poles lol.

trayson
11-07-2013, 03:00 PM
right, wrong or otherwise, I don't like to see people go. These type of sites are all about knowledge through sharing and I try to support that goal for a better community. Glad you got the insight you needed though. :-)

chris young
11-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Ouch, I don't follow one thread for a while and I completely missed what happened. I'm with Trayson, I don't like to see anybody leave, it's too easy to take offence on these forums when none is meant. Ngavdba was very generous with snapping and posting pics for me when I first joined the forum and needed dimensions of my boat which was a 3 1/2 hour drive away. He's been banned?! I don't get it, I guess I missed something big.

trayson
11-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Ouch, I don't follow one thread for a while and I completely missed what happened. I'm with Trayson, I don't like to see anybody leave, it's too easy to take offence on these forums when none is meant. Ngavdba was very generous with snapping and posting pics for me when I first joined the forum and needed dimensions of my boat which was a 3 1/2 hour drive away. He's been banned?! I don't get it, I guess I missed something big.

Not banned. Basically he and I went back and forth a little (I thought it was friendly) about how he thought poles looked goofy. I supported my "pro pole" stance by saying that all the new boats have them and they seem practical to only contact rub rails. Yeah, I was verbose and in "debate mode". I guess it rubbed him the wrong way.

After that, he deleted all his comments from the thread. Then he had a moderator delete the quoted comments out of my posts. He removed his picture, and finally we noticed that his user account was no longer listed, so I can only assume he deleted himself and left.

He did nothing ban-worthy. And I was seriously surprised that his reactions were that drastic. But then again, welcome to the inter-webs. So, you really didn't miss anything "big". Just a big reaction to a small back and forth.

gogger
11-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Ngavdba is the only reason my boat is the way it is today. Hopefully he didn't mean to delete his entire history. Everything he has ever posted is gone. A whole lot of valuable information, tips and pictures. Hopefully it can be restored.

Cliff
11-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Ehhh I m new here and it seems like we lost a informative guy. BUT it is not trayson's fault. I am on dozens of forums. And I have come to realize that a forum is only as good as the people on it. And honestly that guy although knowledgable; is acting like a spoiled kid :(

Jetlink
11-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Not banned. Basically he and I went back and forth a little (I thought it was friendly) about how he thought poles looked goofy. I supported my "pro pole" stance by saying that all the new boats have them and they seem practical to only contact rub rails. Yeah, I was verbose and in "debate mode". I guess it rubbed him the wrong way.

After that, he deleted all his comments from the thread. Then he had a moderator delete the quoted comments out of my posts. He removed his picture, and finally we noticed that his user account was no longer listed, so I can only assume he deleted himself and left.

He did nothing ban-worthy. And I was seriously surprised that his reactions were that drastic. But then again, welcome to the inter-webs. So, you really didn't miss anything "big". Just a big reaction to a small back and forth.

You couldn't be more wrong there seņor. He was indeed banned by me none the less. It started out as a mistake on my part but in the end he has found it to be most beneficial for him. I had intended to give him a cooling off period but he somehow got mistakenly lumped in with a spammer I was moderating.

As I said, nothing to see here folks. Move along.

gogger
11-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Personally I think daniel being gone is something big. A lot of his pictures included my boat and family and I often came to the forum to show others the great time we had at the reunion. And often showed people pics of his boat as an example of a beautiful restoration. And many other reasons as well. He will be missed.

beat taco
11-08-2013, 11:38 AM
You couldn't be more wrong there seņor. He was indeed banned by me none the less. It started out as a mistake on my part but in the end he has found it to be most beneficial for him. I had intended to give him a cooling off period but he somehow got mistakenly lumped in with a spammer I was moderating.

Are you saying you accidentally deleted all of his posts? If so are they restorable?

trayson
11-08-2013, 12:48 PM

I stand corrected. I am VERY active on lots of forums for BMW's, Audi's, Jeeps, Boats, and more. I took zero offense to his actions, and I don't see a big reason to press charges, hehe. But I guess you will do as you see fit. Thanks for the update. -T

Jetlink
11-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Are you saying you accidentally deleted all of his posts? If so are they restorable?

Yes, unable.

gogger
11-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Well that is a huge loss to this forum in my humble opinion. I would have never restored my boat if I hadn't gotten words of encouragement and much needed information from daniel.

inair
11-09-2013, 01:48 PM
I have always found ngavdbas posts to informative and entertaining. I'm with gogger. Losing him from this forum is a big loss. I hope he reconsiders and returns.

biggsie
11-09-2013, 07:06 PM
I started lurking here when I was shopping for an old Supra and I also found his posts informative. And his pictures were always big and clear. He will be missed as will all his old posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Jetlink
11-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Guys, NGAVDBA feels that he no longer has anything worthwhile to contribute here. His absence though missed by many, myself included has turned out to be beneficial for him. Hate me if you want, but I wouldn't hold my breath on him returning anytime soon. Those that know him on a personal level and are friends will understand why. And with that, I too feel like I have nothing else of substance to offer here.

Peace y'all,
Ben