PDA

View Full Version : Want to BUILD a Saltare TRAILER

Sdc77
10-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Hi everyone,
Here we are, end of the season for us. The boat is on the trailer, ready for winterizing.
It's always a big stress to tow the boat on that trailer. It's too high on the road, the trailer is too flexible, it's not well-balanced etc.

I really would like to build a replica of the original Saltare trailer. I have place, acces to Professional welding stuff, I'm patient and meticulous. This can be a good winter project.

I can't simply try to find one, because there is no US trailer in France. They are not street legal, for many (stupid) reasons.

What I want to do is a trailer frame for a perfect fit of the Saltare, and all the European stuff on it : axles, breaking system, hitch, lights etc.

Anybody with an original trailer can draw me a scheme with all measurements ?

My plan is to first draw it on autocad + PDF with metric and Us measurements, to give access to anyone who wants to replicate it, and then building it.

Thanks in advance !

haugy
10-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Wow I totally screwed up on this one didn't I? I've come through for many of our other members, but this one I failed. I'm sorry about that.

For those reading, he has asked me a few times over the past year as I told him I could do it for him. Every time the timing was bad, and was very difficult for me to carve out time to take proper measurements. Each time, something kept me busy or I would simply forget amongst many other things.

For that, I am sorry man. So if anyone has the trailer measurements or can provide them, please help this guy out. He's one of the better off-hand fabricators I've seen in here. I'd love to see what he could make for a trailer.

biggsie
10-31-2013, 04:07 PM
I just refurbished my trailer and it's still empty. Not sure if it is the same size a a salt tho. SMP dual axle for an '86 sunsport. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/01/4uze2usy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/01/6yhaza2y.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

DAFF
10-31-2013, 07:08 PM
The dimensions which matter are those of the main bunks and where they rest on your hull. I would start with a large sheet of cardboard and make a template of the rear and mid section of the hull. Using these templates will make for a great beginning of the placement for your bunks. A donor trailer would speed the build up ....

Sdc77
11-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks haugy for your nice comment, it means alot :)

Biggsie, the Sunsport is a 20', the Saltare a 23'. Sure it's not the same trailer. Thank you anyway for intention.

DAFF, I prefer to start with an original trailer scheme instead of building it from scratch. It will be safer and quicker.

DAFF
11-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Even with the exact dimensions of a Saltare trailer there will still be variables in the design. Unless you have the tools to bend 2x3 tubular steel there will be some piece work to weld together. By making the bunk system adjustable you can re use the trailer down the line for other inboard boats, in case you deside to upgrade in time. I understand copying the original design to aid in speed and safety factors but honestly it isn't that complicated. All you need is a few basic dimensions......